Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some advice......

Hi all,
    I need some sage advice from the learned brainstrust here....I've just past the 11th week AF and I seem to be hitting a few bumps and strangely enough not craving alcohol:eeks:
    I find I'm incredibly tired at the wrong times of the day and I am suffering from some rather nasty headaches.My hair and skin are rather tragic as well and I was wondering if some of you here have some suggestions to why this is happening and what I can do about it.
    As some of you know..I'm riding on the wagon with out help of drugs et all and it is a quite surprising that while I suffered no withdrawal symptoms at the start ( and at a bottle of vodka a day, I was expecting some...believe me) I'm now feeling quite crappy 11 weeks down the track.(Thankfully Mikes heavily weeded and overgrown one.....:thumbs
    Any suggestions would be most gratefully accepted.
    I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year ( I worked New Years day and I was the only one there without a hangover.......God it felt good..:happy
    Looking forward to all your responses..
    Love
    Victoria xoxoxoxoxo

I need some advice......

Hi Victoria, It's great to hear you are doing so well....having read your post I heaved a sigh of relief as I thought it was just me!!....yes my skin was dreadful when I drank, then it improved because like Kate I started to look after it again, but for the last week or so it is getting rather dry and blotchy, although that could be the weather?...As for the tiredness...well at the moment I feel as if I could sleep on a washing line...yet when I go to bed I am sleeping much better then I used to when drinking...You say you don't take any supps but had you considered taking, perhaps a multi-vitamin and some vitamin C...Mind you when you think about it Kate is right about the toxins leaving the body....You assume all that sort of thing happens within the first week or two, but the body moves very slowly when it is healing itself..I would suggest waiting for perhaps a week or so then if you still feel this way have a check-up at your Doctors..

As Neil would say KEEP WELL..
    Love Louise xxx
    A F F L..
    Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

I need some advice......

Hi everyone! Have been in bed with the flu since Sat. afternoon. Nasty stuff! Hub sick now. Staying home today. Still a little weak and want to take care of him. He was a great nurse. Buy the way - Day 6 for me.

Stollies,

It sounds like what you are experiencing is called a dietary body change. It is actually a good thing. When we are not taking care of ourselves and not giving our body the fuel (nutritionally) that it needs it does not have the power to rid itself of toxins. The body will store the toxins in our cells. Like when we get a phone call that company is just around the corner and our house is a mess. We will tuck things in the closet.

The problem with this is that as toxins build in our cells, these are the potential sites for disease and cancers.

When we begin to improve our nutritional status, the body begins to open the closet doors and start to clean. It cleanses the toxins from the cells and removes them via the excretory systems. Saliva, perspiration, mucas, urine and bowels. This creates a toxic level and can cause irritation. It can cause buring urination, diahrria, sinus problems, bad breath or taste in your mouth, skin irruptions.

The best way to speed yourself through this time is by increasing fluids. An old friend of mine who is a PA said that "The solution to polution is dillution - WATER, WATER, WATER!"
      It dilutes the toxicity of the excrements, making them less irritating.

Remember, this is a good thing! Hope this helps!

Sherry
      "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

I need some advice......

Hi Victoria, and everyone,

It sounds like you are all onto something here... we've been poisoning our bodies for so long, and denying our cells the right nutrition and hydration, that we are finally getting rid of toxins. I have noticed some similar changes in skin and hair texture between 2 and 3 months sober, but must say that things are beginning to clear up now. I'm trying to drink as much water as possible. Victoria, I think you are going through something absolutely normal and it will pass...

Also I just wanted to say I am happy to report I've made it through my holiday visit with family (sober) and am headed home to Alaska now. I'm looking forward to catching up on everyone's posts!

Here's to a happy, healthy and sober 2007 for us all!

Mike
        "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

I need some advice......

Mike, so glad you had such a good holiday with your family, but happy to see you back soon, we have all missed you...

Happy New Year, Love from Louise xx
          A F F L..
          Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

I need some advice......

Hi all............
            This new year is off and running here at Absville!

Louise.......I have to say that your new er....ahhh...hat-helmet-hair(?) is quite fetching!

Mike...good to hear that you had a nice visit! We missed you!

Victoria.....my skin is suffering too! I have to admit that Hershey Kisses are my downfall at Christmas time...could that be it?

Sherry......glad to hear that you feel better and hope hubby will also soon.

Hi to Kate and anyone else that stops by.
            Yes Kate........water not vino!!

This is going to be a great year for all of us! I can just feel it!

XOXO
            Nancy
            "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

I need some advice......

Hello all.
              I'm happy that i looked at this post because i am having skin problems too.
              I feel like i should be called pie face because of the acne on my skin.
              I always thought it might be the toxins coming out of my body but i wasnt sure.
              Im only 32 days sober and sometimes i have problems sleeping, and my moods are up and down.
              I hope all this crap goes away.
              Life Without Drinking Is Life Worth Living.

Comment

I need some advice......

Hi Drunkenslayer, glad your doing so well...I had problems sleeping during first month or so, I now take 1 Melatonin and 1 5-HTP not everynight though, take them about 1 hour before you go to bed...As for the mood swings you may find St Johns Wort will help, take 1 daily, after about 2 weeks should start to feel the benifit..

Stay Fit....Louise xx

PS. Had to edit this as I stupidly advised taking 1 L-Glut to help sleep...should have been one 5-HTP...sorry.
                A F F L..
                Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

I need some advice......

It would help if you included your age. But skipping that if you are an alcoholic like I am, I stayed drunk for 25 yrs., your body and mind go through profound changes during the intial drying out period. As far as your mental condition goes it too is typical. Depression often goes hand in hand with being a drunk and manifests itself during the getting sober period. It's a rough ride for sure. Depending when you first started drinking and for how long you will have to re-adjust to a different life style. Just don't take that first drink and be sure to have someone you can call if you feel like it. Even though I didn't use any drugs to stop drinking and strangely did not have that craving for a drink I did crave chocolate, still do as a mater of fact. I'm quite interested in hearing more about these supplement promoted on this site to control my other cravings. Can anyone give me thier story?

Comment

I need some advice......

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but recent studies have shown that St. Johns Wart is nothing more than a placebo. That does mean that any perceived help you received from it was all YOUR doing. Good work!

Comment

I need some advice......

Funny!
                      Chocolate is my "other" addiction!
                      That wouldn't be a bad thing if only it were DARK chocolate!

:h Nancy
                      "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Working...
                      X