Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member - This is my story

A big hello to our other members.

I have been browsing this site as a guest for a few months now, but today I have decided to actually become a member. I need to dramatically cut down the amount I drink and personally need all the support from people who understand, not those who judge.

Basically this is my story....as brief as possible.

I was brought up in a very strict Indian family, where it was acceptable for my dad and brothers to drink, go to the pub, but I was told that women do not drink. I myself had no intention of drinking then anyway. My dad used to get abusive and everyday was a fear whether I'd get a beating today. It didn't help that my mum died of cancer when I was 3 and I was brought up by my step-mum who couldn't even be a friend to me. The only time I got love from her was when I had done all the cooking and cleaning and other mudane tasks so that she was more free. Anyway, when I was 18 my dad told me under no circumstances was I allowed to go uni and he would be looking for a suitable husband for me. After much begging I managed to convince him to let me work. After a short few months I met a guy and we starting dating. That's was when I experienced my first drop of alcohol. But it wasn't an issue, it was just a few drinks as there was no way I could justify being late more than few hours to my dad and definately not if I went home drunk. Soon the relationship fizzled out and by the end of the year (2000) my dad had found a suitable husband for me.

Although it was an arranged marriage, my dad did say to me I had a choice to say no if I did not like the guy. But as destiny would have it, the guy was not only adorable, but we clicked. 10 months on we got marrried (we still are married). Life took a turn for the best. My husband loved me like I had never been loved before. He treated me like his equal and gave me the freedom to do things I want to do. Don't get me wrong we had our ups and down, but I found my soul mate in him. About 3 years ago I had a run-in with my step-mum and since then I have been disowned by them, but my husband has stuck by me in all of it.

With the freedom came the pub lunches, dinners and take aways washed down with wine and beer. At the time I didn't realise it was a problem, but looking back it was. We were arguing more and by the morning it was a slanging match as to who said what and neither of us could remember why we were arguing in the first place....we could only see the damage down to the house (fists through the door, plates smashed up). We would clean up the house, make up and then go and get some more drink for the evening.

I live with my mother-in-law and although she is a diamond, she started to interfere. Sometimes I think it's out of genuine concern, but then it feels like it's a personal attack. She is teetotal and despises drink. I get comments from her that her son never drank until we got married and when her daughter comes for dinner and gets plastered it's my fault. I learnt a few years ago, when my sister-in-law argued with her mum who accused her of being drunk, and my sister-in-law blamed it on me that I had offered it to her. I literally left a bottle of wine on the table. No one forced it down her throat. But because I also drink my mother-in-law turned onto me instead. I get blamed for everyone else drinking.

I look back on the past 5 years I have been married and I have nothing to show for it. I'm in debt, the house needs decorating, but we don't have the money. I have pawned most of my gold. I've put on 3 stone since I got married (although some people would say that's contentment but I'm sure the alcohol has contributed to my buddha belly). I won't buy clothes that I like because I don't have the money, but somehow manage to find money for drink.

I don't even drink with my husband (for the fear of argument). He will be upstairs in the bedroom drinking his beer with his music and I drink my wine/vodka downstairs watching t.v. I'm reading Allen Carr's book Easyway to control drinking and it's really put it in perspective how drinking is a mental thing. I'm miserable when I can't drink and guilty when I do. I just hope I can give it up, because of all the problems it causes. I don't drink during the day, but in the evenings. But whenever I go to parties where I know there will be no alcohol, I take some in my handbag. I just hope 2007 gives me the strenght to control it. Ideally I would like to just have a drink on occasion like my birthday, anniversary, but whether I can do that is a big ?

Thanks for taking the time for reading this. I know I said it would be brief!!!! lol. But just even writing this has made me think about how I want my life back. I'm 25 years old and get told I look 30. I guess the drink has taken it's toll on my looks too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not vain, but just want me confidence back.

Hi Mandy,

Glad you joined. You are a welcomed new edition and I saw that you have already reached out to Happy Camper on her thread about missing her mom. Things can get better, it is all up to you. I think we are sometimes scared of our own power and the responsibility it brings inheritently.

We will be here to support you on your road to a healthier you.

All the best and again, welcome.

Comment

Bravo for taking this huge first step. Keep posting and being honest and you will do just fine. It can be a rocky road but, it is worth the journey. Your story is a unique one and it sounds like you will have to face a few issues but, we will always be here for your support!

:welcome:
      Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

Welcome to you Mandi. That is quite the story. This is a great support system. Please stick around!!
        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Welcome!

Welcome Mandi! This place is a great place to be to get the support you need.

First of all, please know that you are not responsible for anyone else's drinking! You should not wear the blame for it - ever!

Secondly, I know all too well about the arguing and stuff being smashed when fighting with my husband after drinking heavily (both of us drinking). I am glad that has stopped ... but our drinking has to stop so we can repair our relationship. We both are on day 5. It has caused ALL of the problems in our relationship!!!!! ALL of them.

Thirdly, I totally understand what you mean by not having money for anything that matters, but always finding the money for alcohol. My husband and I talked about it not too long ago, and boy were we disgusted at the amount of money we have spent on booze the last three years. We could of been so much farther ahead!

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.... We all have our ups and downs here, and this is a great place to be to get the support you need. :welcome:

Comment

:welcome: Mandi, just being here on the boards is a great start. Also being able to be honest with yourself is a huge step. Have you gotten the MY Way Out book? It's worth it's weight in gold. RJ has put together an amazing program & brought a lot of wonderful people together here.
            Looking forward to getting to know ya.

:l Judie
            The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Hi Mandy.
              I am in the middle of Allen Carr's book as well.
              2007 will be a good year for both of us.
              I love the way you "talk". Where do you live/
              Keep hanging in with us all.
              Love and Peace,
              Phil
              Love and Peace,
              Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Hello Mandy,
                This is a good place to be if you want to sort yourself out. What Accountable said is quite right. You are not responsible for other people's drinking, but you are responsible for your own. I haven't been here long but I have found nothing but good advice and support here. It is a fantastic help to me in my personal battle. I hope you enjoy you time here as much as I have.
                :welcome:

Comment

Thank you all for your support (and reading through my story). It brought a tear to my eye that there are other people that understand what I am going through.

Deep down I know I can only be accountable for my drinking, but because it's been drummed into me that it's my fault because I drink too, I sometimes feel that way. I wish my husband would take me seriously. Even when I showed him what we had spent on alcohol and cigarettes alone over the past 5 years (?31k) he just laughed and asked whether I could budget for his alcohol this weekend. He was apologetic when he realised I did not see the funny side to it.

My husband is not ready to give up as he feels he does not have an issue. After all I can't force him. So it's a great help to know that I have people here whom I can turn to for support.

:thanks:

Love Mandy.

Comment

Mandy
                    I just read your story for the first time (I'm sorry, I didn't see it before) and also wanted to say welcome. You sound like such a warm, articulate woman and you have quite a moving story. Reach out to us for whatever you need.
                    Hugs
                    Jen
                    Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Hi Mandy,
                      I have also just read your story. I can really relate to the money issue, my husband and I both have decent jobs but not much to show for it. I was just looking back at the last year of alcohol purchases and couldn't believe my eyes. The worst is it is mostly me, my husband stops at 1 or 2 drinks(not me). I am on day 3 af and am feeling pretty good about myself. I agree with accountable and paul you can never be blamed for someone elses drinking, you are only accountable for your own. I wish you the best of luck and want to say stay on here, keep posting and reading. I have done a lot of that the last few days and have been amazed at all the similar stories to mine.

Good luck am looking forward to read further postings from you.
                      :h :h
                      "What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it."
                      Catherine Pulsifer

Comment

Hi Mandy
                        Welcome. Iam a new member and just reading the stories makes you realise you are not alone. As adults, we are only ever responsible for ourselves not for anyone else. It just makes it easier for the others to blame someone.I have found that reading the MWO book has been a huge help. Also a CD on staying sober through hypnosis , which I listen to daily has also helped.
                        This is a great site with a lot of support and encouragement.

Take care

Anke

Comment

Dear Mandy,

Welcome aboard. I'm also on Allen Carr's book. Had it for a while, but my doctor recommended me to read it (yes, study it ...). He had given up smoking through Allen Carr's method.

Yup, it's a tough life. But it's true, we're all responsible for our own drinking habits. I'm sure your husband will take you seriously once he sees your progress, which might make him re-think his situation.

Take care and good luck,

Patrick
                          Paddy
                          Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Hi Mandi,

I just read your story too and want to add another welcome!!:welcome:
                            Sounds like you could use someone "in your corner" and I'm sure you'll find that here. Keep posting and keep reading.

I wish I had been as brave and honest as you are when I was 25!! I'm 46 and I have finally faced the fact that I have a problem with alcohol. This place has helped me tremendously. Ultimately, I want to be AF (which feels the best to me... besides, I don't think I could really moderate for very long)
                            But, I'm still finding my way. I get a ton of motivation from all the posts here but I focus on the AF threads.

Welcome and keep focusing on what you really want.

Olly

Comment

Great to see you sharing your story.
                              I wish you well and remember that as your husbands decision not to limit his drinking has nothing to do with your decision to do it.... What I try to tell you is that your feelings about drinking is yours only, not his, not mine nor anybody else! There might be an eye opener for him too in the future or there might never be. Since you have made the ultimate step, admitting that you might have problem, you have in fact made huge leap. At least it was for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X