Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

January 3, 2007

Hello out there,

Just wanted to start a new thread for the day...

I'm back home now and I must say it's good to sleep in my own bed again.

I'm also happy to report that I was able to stay sober (and sane!) during the holiday visit with my family. They drank as usual, but I didn't... and in fact, I didn't have any strong cravings. I wouldn't even say that I had cravings at all. What I had was just feeling a bit out of place, like I should be doing something but wasn't. So whenever I felt that way I made myself busy doing other things. Luckily there were two small children around so there were always "other things" to do to divert my attention!

And now I'm looking forward to a completely alcohol-free 2007.

I guess that's not much of a topic, is it? Like I said, I just wanted to get something started for the day...

Hope you are all doing well. How is everyone?

~ Mike
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

January 3, 2007

Hey Mike,
    Glad you are back and in good shape. Kids ARE great, aren't they? I had a blast playing with my grandkids. They are soooo much more fun than the adults!
    I really realized it one evening when I looked out my back door and the adults were all gathered around our firepit sipping wine or beer. I was inside having fun with the kids! I didn't even feel left out!
    I guess I'm just a kid at heart! My hubby tells me I am "immature"! I'll take that as a compliment!

I have posted some goals for 2007 +. I added a new one today on monthly abs. It is:

Remove all the white flour and sugar from my diet.
    Eat more whole or live foods. These are usually found on the outer sides of the grocery store. We also have a year round farmer's market about 45 minutes from here.
    This will include fruits and veggies and things like organic eggs and cheese, dried beans and a pasta that Barrilia has out that is a product with added fiber. Look for it....unlike the whole wheat version which taste like cardboard, it taste great. My family couldn't tell the difference.
    We have it with the jar of white Alfrado sauce and grilled Greek chicken. Add a salad and you've got a meal!
    Ok....enough of the food talk.
    I hope you all have a good joy-full day.
    :h Nancy
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

January 3, 2007

Hi Mike

That sounds like an excellent topic to me.

It's always good to have a holiday but it's always better to get back home. Every year since my wife and I have been able to afford a holiday away, we have been looking forward to it for months, only to find that after ten days at the most we're desperate to get back home.

I too am looking forward to the year ahead. I had a slip over the hols but nothing major. I think that I was drinking on two occasions over the last four weeks or so, which I wouldn't have believed possible until very recently. However, I intend now to focus totally on getting the best that I can from life. Stopping drinking totally is the main focus. If I can get that under control, I will have a much better chance in achieving my other aims. I'm going to get fit again. I am already fairly fit due to my job, but because it is of a very repetative nature and I have been doing it for quite a long time, I have been getting aches and pains in my arms and shoulders. The doctor says it's wear and tear and to try and vary my movements but there are only so many ways that you can shovel sand. Anyway, I'm going to do a lot more hillwalking. Fot those who don't know, there are 284 Monroes (mountains over 3000 feet) in Scotland and a list of people who have done them all can be found on the web, among other places. I want my name on that list. I started climbing them a few years ago and I have nine under my belt. After a while, any time that I had was taken up with drinking, so I stopped doing it. I can start again now. My wife enjoys the odd trek, so it's something that we can do together.
      I am sure that the longer I stay clean, the better things will get for us.

I have stopped drinking.
      I am excited by this.
      This is a great site. Thanks for listening
      Hi Nancy . You posted at the same time as me. Have a great day. And all who come on later

Comment

January 3, 2007

Just flying by to say Hi..and Happy New Year to everyone! I definitely plan on it being totally AF and look forward to reaping some of the rewards of some of the efforts I've made in 2006 to simplify my life..I feel like I've been changing on a cellular level and I'm beginning to see those changes in my world...thank Goodness! I have a feeling it is going to be a nice year! I also want to wish everyone here the best of the best..and that I look forward to getting to know everyone even better in the months to come!
        di

Comment

January 3, 2007

Hi Mike,
          It's great to have you back ...:yay:
          I missed your beautifully and wisely written posts over the Christmas break:lilangel:
          I felt like you did at Christmas and New Years, a little out of place.It was odd not having my former best friend to cling on to, tho it seemed to find many many others to spend its time with
          I, too, am looking forward to an AF 2007 and to sharing the journey with all of you during the year.
          Welcome back, Mike.....We've missed you :h
          Love to all
          Victoria xoxoxox

Comment

January 3, 2007

Yes Mike, welcome back. I am always inspired by your posts and they have helped me more than you know. I am even abs!

Comment

January 3, 2007

mikeupnorth wrote: Hello out there,

Just wanted to start a new thread for the day...

And now I'm looking forward to a completely alcohol-free 2007.

I guess that's not much of a topic, is it?
              ~ Mike
              Mike,

I think it's a hell of topic. A lot of us aspire to this, but few state it so forward and positively: "And now I'm looking forward to a completely alcohol-free 2007."

You bet.

Capto

Comment

January 3, 2007

Hi there!

Hey Mike, I drove through Memphis day before New Years getting back home. The I-40 run back east.

2007 starts with new commitment for me. An interesting note: They always push the booze ads hard during New Years, and everytime I saw them hawk a bottle or can of this or that, I got a burning sensation in my gut of disgust. Real revulsion. I think reading that Allen Carr book really solidified some of my previous "self" programming. Flammable varnish solvent. Furniture stripper. Ugh!

I have been trying out that EFT method that USAnne mentioned in another thread. Most strange. The jury is still out, as I am still experimenting. I made a list of known traumas from my childhood past, and run the EFT sequence on them. They are about as specific as one can get, and there definitely seems to be something to this. I liked how the technique was developed by an engineer, and not a psychologist or psychiatrist. That gives it a little extra validity in my eyes, since the guy definitely has that analytical engineering approach. Like Allen Carr said many times in his book, "Keep an open mind!"

Did upper body weights tonight, and a few active isolated stretches. This after two weeks off while doing Christmas with the family. I did take one of my bikes on the road with me, and rode it a bit while in OK.

Gotta go, doggies are barking at something.

Neil

Comment

Working...
                X