Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Untold Secrets of a Drinker

Hi all,
    I'm happy that I found this site on 2nd January (I signed in as Rosy_Cross, but this name is more me).
    I've now had four days alcohol free - and am doing it tough at the moment.

But you know what no-one tells you out there in the world?

It's not actually the not drinking that makes it tough - it's:
    the thought of never again
    the thought that I can't do what I want to do
    the thought that I am somehow being controlled by not drinking (silly, when I was much more controlled by drinking)
    the thought that I'm bloody unlucky to have a weakness for drink
    the thought that really I'm just waiting for things to "go back to normal"

So I remind myself of the awful little secret things I used to do:
    Sitting in the pub or at a friend's place, realising that I was unconsciously checking the level in everyone's glass to see when the next drink would be
    Topping the wine up at home for me and my boyfriend - but taking a few gulps out of my glass first and then refilling it
    "Accidentally" choosing recipes which needed half a cup of wine, as an excuse to buy some
    If out drinking, not wanting to go for something to eat, as it would slow down the flow of alcohol
    Staying out even when the people I actually wanted to be out with had long gone, just for the fun of staying out, drinking more and talking crap with anyone
    Turning up to work reeking of alcohol from the night before and always sucking on breath mints and spraying perfume

When I remember these things, I am fine... but I have noticed that little justifications start to creep back in. For example, tomorrow my boyfriend and I are going to an expensive restaurant in Sydney. Part of me is saying, "It will be okay. You can have half a bottle of wine. It's expensive wine, it's an expensive place... you should have the full experience. It's only once... it's your Christmas present to each other, after all."

Sure... and that sounds okay... but part of me thinks - if moderation is something I could do... why haven't I done it already?

Then again, maybe the reason I've never done moderation is because I've never tried it before. I've never set myself a limit before - I always drank til the booze ran out, or I couldn't physically drink any more, or I passed out... It's hard to know what to think.

Although I think writing this has helped me come to one conclusion at least. I think alcohol-free should be the way to go for the time being.

I'd be really interested to know other people's thoughts on choosing AF or mods.

Thank you
    Free since 26th February 2012

Hi Hidden_Gem.

That was a pretty accurate description of some of my own thought processes and actions.

The reason for deciding to go AF for me is simply that I cannot stop once I have started. Since coming to this place, I have drank on a few occasions. Though the frequency has dropped amazingly, when I do drink, I drink everything that is available to me. I will finish every drop of vodka in the house, and if that's not enough I'll get more. Thanks to the help of this site, I haven't carried on through to the next day like I used to, but I know that it would be so easy, especially while I'm still on holiday. So I feel, in fact I know, that moderation is not an option for me. I admire people that have that kind of will-power, even when they drink, but I do not.
    Thanks for your post.

Comment

Hey hidden gem I have had the exact same thoughts and done the exact same things!!!
      Right now Im day 3 AF and I am just worrying about today. I dont know yet if I am going to mod or go
      completley Af. My goal right now is to get to Sat. AF.

Comment

Hello Hidden Gem
        Welcome. When I first joined MWO I was adament that I would try total AF. It only lasted a few days and I wanted to try moderation. I too have done the same things you described, especially the one where when pouring you and your boyfriend a drink you take a few gulps out of your drink before topping it up. I could never stop drinking until there was no alcohol left and sometimes would even sneak out for more! I ended up drinking every night aswell which I thought would never happen. Anyway, moderation so far has been okay, I'm not taking it for granted and don't rule out going AF if this doesn't work, I'm taking one day at a time. For me my aim is to drink only twice a week leaving AF days in between and when I do drink it has to be in moderation. I won't lie and say its easy for me because its not but like I said before I am just taking one day at a time.
        Whatever you decide good luck and stay around on this forum, everyone is so nice and supportive. xx

Comment

I am making myself do 30 days AF and then decide if I can be moderate, although I doubt I can. I am hoping to find out that life is still good and fun without alcohol (well better because of all the crap bits we know about) Maybe you and your boyfriend could enjoy the meal and eachothers company without the wine, kinda different I know...good luck

Comment

Hi Hidden Gem and welcome. It is interesting that you chose an amethyst as your gem. The purple amethyst represents healing. I have one on my desk as a paper weight. Anyway, I absolutely recommend 30 days abs first then, you can better formulate your decision to proceed from there. Give your body and your mind some time to detox. Trying mods now will actually lead to more stress in my opinion and 30 days abs is what the program recommends. Also, the supps and the CD's help tremendously in the begining with relaxation.
            Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

Hi Hidden Gem...I will ditto Preciouspinot. I couldn't agree more with everything that she said. Good luck!
              d

Comment

Hi Hidden Gem!! Welcome!

I too am from Sydney! I am on my 8th AF day and last night was real tough. My father in law was here for the cricket (hubby has a box or some wanky thing and has been going every day). The night before a group of them went to Lucios but last night I cooked for them. Well, oh to have had a glass of crisp cool sav blanc, especially after preparing and cooking for close to 2 1/2 hours. And his father said he would be honoured if I had a glass with him (they don't know why I am not drinking).

I got one glass out and came soooooooo close to pouring 2. But I thought about it. What was that one, or even two, glasses of wine going to do for me. Because that's all I could have (even though I could have realistically had 2 bottles). Was it going to make the food taste better? Or leave a bad taste in my mouth? And what would it achieve? Or would I be the one leaving a bad tsate quickly consuming more than anyone else and turning into a very unpleasant drunk.

So I didn't drink, (helps I have a raging sore throat and flu - I feel shit) and looked after them, and cleaned up, and reckon I made a far better impression on the FIL.

I choose to abstain because if I get that taste back, well I know I will be back for more, and far more frequently than others. We are off to Noosa for the week next week and have booked many a schwanky restaurant and I will not be drinking in any, even with the french, the greatest WA chardonnays, and vintage penfolds - whatever they ( well, to be honest, I will probably be choosing being the designated wine connisseur) will choose, and happily sip my sparkling mineral water, happy in the moring to have that clear head and enjoy my early morning walks.

There is always a special restaurant and a special occasion, but it is more than special for me not to drink.

Sorry for the long post,
                Louie
                PS enjoy the restaurant - which one is it? We eat out ALOT!!!

Comment

Good for u Louie.

Comment

Thanks all for your messages of support. I have thought a lot about this of course and have decided that 30 days AF is the best way to go to start with. Until I can get used to not drinking, I will still have that feeling of "filling in time" until I can drink again.

I've given up smoking too since that went hand-in-hand with drinking. The hard part will be next week when I go back to work. I have a close knit group of friends. We all work together and all drink together - and drink hard. I am going to use new ways to help me unwind after work, such as having a bath, meditating or exercise.

As for the meal out tonight - well, my boyfriend is going to drink and he seems to think it would be okay for me to share a bottle of wine. But I know better. If I pick up that glass again - it may not be that evening, nor the next, nor even for the next couple of weeks - but sooner or later, I'll wake up one morning with no memory of what I did and a painful self-loathing.

So it's AF for me today. I will reevaluate at 30 days, assuming that I have made it that far. I'd like to think so.

And by the way...
                    Preciouspinot - well spotted on the amethyst, it is also my birthstone and I think it is very telling that it has healing properties as well!
                    Louie - it is Cafe Sydney at Customs House.

Comment

And PS Louie,

I thought what you said was fabulous,

"There is always a special restaurant and a special occasion, but it is more than special for me not to drink."

I think that will really help!

Comment

Gem,

Great restaurant, and great view, and some of the best toilets in town!!

I have had many a lunch and evening there, and some I would rather forget with far too much alcohol!!

Dress up with killer heels, and drink in the view - classier than any champagne!!

Louie

Comment

Working...
                        X