Slip on Campral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slip on Campral

Does anyone using Campral have any experience with it after a slip? I abstained for 3 days then started taking it on the 1st. I slipped up Thursday night. Makes me feel like a jerk. I put myself in a situation I shouldn't have and payed the price...

But anyway I'm back on the wagon today. I'm just wondering if drinking takes me back to day 1 with the meds. I'm hoping the Campral will work better the longer I take it. So far it hasn't reduced the cravings as much as I would like. I'm taking more kudzu in hopes that it will help.

Any insite will be appreciated. Thanks!

Steve

Slip on Campral

It works great for me. Have not gone back and forth though. RJ has this on one of her recent Blogs:

http://www.mywayout.org/blog/2006/10...up-on-campral/

Comment

Slip on Campral

I took Campral for 4 days and on the 5th, Christmas, I drank. Since I drank of the 25th, I continued on the 26th. I continued to take Campral on those days and found I really did not get the buzz I enjoyed so drinking was pointless. On the 27th, I stopped drinking and Campral had a chance to build back up in me and is now working again. It does not take long to get the aid from it again.

All the best-

Comment

Slip on Campral

I took Campral for a while during my first try with MWO during the fall of 05. I had good success with it for a while, and then I started having a slip here, a slip there.... Eventually, my "slips" became the norm for me and I just quit taking Campral and went back to my drinking, because I thought "What's the point?"

I think it's a very effective drug and one slip won't ruin its effect... but I wasn't really committed to abstinence at that point I kept letting the slips happen. The more slips happen, the less effective it becomes. That was just my experience.

Lucky has heard this from me before, and perhaps Capto has too, but one of the things that really helped me was changing the way I thought about alcohol. The mental imagery is very important. Instead of thinking about "a fine wine" I think about "rotted fruit." Instead of a "cocktail" (which sounds very sophisticated and relaxing to me) I think of "a glass of poison." And truly, in my mind, I've come to see alcohol as a dangerously addictive drug, like heroin or crystal meth -- and that is absolutely true. The only difference is that alcohol is legal and socially acceptable. But when I think of alcohol in these negative terms, it is much less likely to make me slip...

All the best,

Mike
        "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Slip on Campral

You're right Mike; I did hear it from you. In fact, I credit your observations on what worked...something clicked, and the Allen Carr book references...as one of the critical moments in my decision to really get serious about abstinence.

Capto

Comment

Slip on Campral

My psychiatrist thinks that drinking (moderately) does not interfere with Campral. Has anyone else heard this? Also, Campral is recommended for 3x per day; but if it is a short-lived drug, what if you don't have cravings during the day...is it a waste to take it then? Or is it cumulative.

He also says that you can take Topamax and campral together, if needed.
            thanks -- a newbie
            :new:

Comment

Slip on Campral

I started on Campral a week ago and have to say that I haven't seen any changes in my drinking or craving. My doctor wasn't concerned with moderate drinking on it, but I'm really getting to the place where if it isn't working, then why take it? Only thing keeping me taking it is that the doctor did say it might take a week or two to get up to full effectiveness. I'm also wondering about the dosage, he has me on three 333mg tablets a day. I was reading somewhere that the dose is six. I'm sooo confused! Will have to call Monday and see if this is the right dosage.

Be well!

Gloria

Comment

Slip on Campral

Hi Gloria,

The suggested dose is 2 pills 3x per day. Hope this helps.

Comment

Slip on Campral

Thanks, Lucky. I will have to call the dr and see if he's got the right dosage. Might be since I'm detoxing from Effexor that he's got it at such a low dose.

Thanks again,

Gloria

Comment

Slip on Campral

Steve38 wrote: Does anyone using Campral have any experience with it after a slip? I abstained for 3 days then started taking it on the 1st. I slipped up Thursday night. Makes me feel like a jerk. I put myself in a situation I shouldn't have and payed the price...

But anyway I'm back on the wagon today. I'm just wondering if drinking takes me back to day 1 with the meds. I'm hoping the Campral will work better the longer I take it. So far it hasn't reduced the cravings as much as I would like. I'm taking more kudzu in hopes that it will help.

Any insite will be appreciated. Thanks!

Steve
                    71 days AF here with campral. If I get really crazy for a drink, I take long walks and pray for one more day sober. It always works.

Comment

Slip on Campral

Hi Sammy,

My understanding is that you shouldn't drink at all on Campral or it will quickly lose its effectiveness.
                      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Working...
                      X