Do you believe in SIGNS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you believe in SIGNS?

Hi Everyone: It has been a while since I posted. I have been struggling for several weeks with going back to drinking and trying to moderate. Last Tuesday I had a life changing event that I feel compelled to post about - although I am sure my story may sound common it profoundly affected me and if I can inspire or help even one person by telling it that would be great. If not, then it is good for me to put it down in words.

Moderation will not work for me - never - ever. I had talked myself in to the idea that it could work. I stopped drinking for over 100 days before this, why not just see if I could deal with having a few now and then? Only at social occasions or special events was my rule. However, this was a disaster. Once I started again I just wanted it more and more. I started sneaking it so that my husband would not see. I was shooting tequila and gulping down shots of whiskey when no one was looking just to get "that feeling". I found myself coming home from work actually quite desperate for a drink and giving in most nights to that call.

I am not a religious person, I don't even know what I really believe in but last Tuesday I got a sign - I think of it as a final warning. I was working from home. I had planned to pick my 16 year old son up from his swim meet 2 hours away and continue to our ski house after that for a day off the next day. At lunch I was at the store picking up supplies and I bought a bottle of wine. From 3pm to 5pm I drank that bottle of wine. Then, I got in my car and headed out to pick up my son. I felt "fine". But, I was not fine. I was drunk and I was driving my brand new car to pick up the most precious thing in my life. On the way to the swim meet I veered off the road and hit a guard rail going 55mph. I was okay, but pretty shaken up. I told the police that a dog ran out in front of me. They actually bought it - they asked me if I had been drinking and I said no. I got away scott free. My car has over $10,000 worth of damage.

I feel like the luckiest person in the world. I could have died. I could have hurt or killed someone else. I could have had my kid in the car and crashed. I can not even fathom what I was thinking/doing and feel deeply ashamed about what I did. I risked everything for a drink and I could have lost everything for a drink. I consider this a sign from someone, something, whatever - but this warning is too big to ignore. I have been given a chance to figure it all out and I am taking it. I thank the universe that everything turned out the way that it did. I still cry thinking about what I put at risk.

I WILL NEVER TAKE ANOTHER DRINK. I am not counting days or thinking about one day at a time. I do not drink anymore. I am deeply thankful for my sign and hope that everyone gets the second chance that I did to understand and find the strength to beat this.

Do you believe in SIGNS?

Call it what you will a sign, or your rock bottom, either way you have made the right choice.

This is just my opinion, but I wouldnt be so fast to discount "not" counting the days of your sobriety. Setting small manageable goals is a good way to get some traction for your life long goal.

Undoubtedly, even as adamant as you are about quitting, the AL brain will probably rear its ugly head again. I had a pretty serious rock bottom, swore up and down I wouldnt drink again(and to date, I havent) but, the temptation has been there.

If you have racked up a series of days, you have something to be proud of, and its a "little" easier to fight the urge, not wanting to destroy what you have achieved.

Wishing you all the knowledge, strength, and support needed to reach your goals
    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Do you believe in SIGNS?

Yes this was a sign. I do believe in God and He has been very very good to you by giving you this sign. Even if you don't believe in Him it is still a good sign!!! And you've done the right thing by taking it as a sign. Now you simply must not let this go by after a few more days and get so used to it that it fades away. Can you do something with this to keep it in your mind for a long time? I don't know what to suggest, but something...maybe get a little picture of your son and a little frame and hang it from your rear mirror when you get your car on the road again? It will remind you how close alcohol brought you to death or killing your son, or killing someone else - all because you drank....don't miss this wonderful chance.

I drove drunk so many times. Had my car impounded and lost my drivers license and still drove my car after I got it back. I had young kids and had to drive to get groceries etc. - it was a very low point in my life. It did not stop me drinking though. But this is your chance!!!! I hope it's good for you!!! I'm smiling as I write this because I'm HAPPY for you!!! This is good!!!!!! Please use this for GOOD!!!! Let us know how it works out - we're all rooting for your recovery. God Bless you every day with more and more signs.
      Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
      (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Do you believe in SIGNS?

Getting There,

Thank goodness you are OK & no one was hurt!
        I believe in signs from God, the universe, whatever. If we listen to them then great. But if we don't listen then shame on us. I had a major sign years ago, hurt myself badly after a fall. Did I listen? I did for a few months then I started listening to the monkey mind again. Looking back I realize now that I was still deep in denial, dealing with depression & anxiety as well.

Stay on your toes & be aware for the return on the monkey mind........IGNORE IT!

Wishing you the best!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Do you believe in SIGNS?

When I was planning this quit, at first it was going to be a 30 day break from AL and I had a sign from God that now was the time to quit drinking, so I picked a date and had my graduation party number 1 also be my goodbye to AL party. I have had my tough times, but I have remained sober since that night.

I do believe in signs.
          I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Do you believe in SIGNS?

Thank you so much for your post! I think you are absolutely right-from wherever it is a sign, it is your "bottom" . But Nelz is right. The urge will come, as well as complacency,
            usually after some sober time. Maybe not. I had my personal bottom as well and now have 96 days.
            Please stay strong. You were at the edge and now you have a chance to stop the progression to something much worse. I would guess that you like me are terrified of drinking. I know I am-my last episode was awful. I shudder to think what continued drinking would lead to for me or for you.
            Don't beat yourself up. Be grateful that you clearly saw this sign and heeded it, and stopped. I wish you well and really believe from your post that you will do well. Right now you sound like you have had the "click" that tells you enough is enough. Please stick around and let us know how you are doing.
            This place has helped me immensely. I read and post here every day as part of my living sober commitment. Hope to hear from you soon.

Comment

Do you believe in SIGNS?

Thanks all for your words of wisdom. I think you are right. I am living now on the immediate and real threat that faced me. A month or who know when from now the AL brain in me might be trying to talk me back in to it. So I will set some small goals. For right now my goal is 30 days. I am on day 5 AL free.

I am terrified of drinking and am thankful for this forum in which you can realize that you are not alone and get great advice from people who have been there, done that, or who are going through the same thing.

Best wishes to all for strength and peace during our journey.

Comment

Do you believe in SIGNS?

Getting There.......sure I believe in signs..........how else could we find where we're going ! Ha! ! Just kidding......glad your here, keep coning back....Tony
                ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                X