Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday, January 8

Good morning, everyone~

I was going to post this yesterday but by the time I hit "Submit New Thread" the MWO server was apparently down. Luckily I was able to go back and copy and save what I had written.... So I'm posting today as Monday's thread instead. You'll notice it refers to Sunday but I guess that isn't such a big deal...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I realize it's already late in the day for a lot of you (or even Monday already for those Down Under) but it's still early morning here in AK... I'm just waking up with my first cup of coffee. We're in the middle of a cold snap here... -25 to -40 for the next couple of days, but actually that's not as cold as it could be this time of year. Yesterday morning I went out to start my car to let it warm up and was greeted by a moose munching on the shrubs outside my front door. She just looked up at me, I looked at her, and she went back to her breakfast. I stood there watching her for a while (I didn't want to disturb her) and after a few minutes she went on her way. And mind you, I live in the middle of the "city" so this is something I see just once or twice a year.... anyway, life is filled with small blessings, isn't it?

I spent another day at the new condo painting yesterday. It seems like an almost endless task, even though the place is pretty small. (I must say, I have a newfound respect for skilled laborers! My hat's off to all of them!) Anyway, I was painting the bedroom ceiling while yet another coat was drying on the wall in the dining room, and I was feeling impatient and irritated. I started getting sloppy. I realized I was in a bad mental place and needed an attitude adjustment. I looked up at the ceiling, and saw the fresh coat of white going on over the dingey old paint. I thought, why not focus on the painting as a metaphor for my new life in sobriety? After all, this is going to be my home for a while, and God willing, I'll never take a drink in this place -- so let this paint be a symbol of the work I'm doing to renew my body and spirit. I slowed down and started focusing on how the fresh paint looked as it covered up the ugly old ceiling and walls. I let the tiredness in my muscles remind me that I was working toward a worthy goal that will generate rewards for years to come. The painting became meditation, and seemed enjoyable rather than a chore to be rushed through. (At least for a while; I lost my focus later. But it was cool while it lasted, and I'll try it again today.)

I've heard sermons about how prayers can be "said" in many ways -- not just on your knees when you're directly addressing God. Prayers are really how you live out your life to achieve good for yourself and for others... and in that sense, you can turn just about any activity into prayer or meditation.

OK those are my Deep Thoughts for this Sunday morning. Hope you're all well out there...

~ Mike
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Monday, January 8

Hi Mike

Yes I'am fro m Down Under (Brisbane) It has been 33c (Bloody Hot). What a lovely expenses.

I know how you feel. i have got an Old Qld House which we have just built a Tv Room Bedrooms bathroom, decks etc. Which it has taken me 3 LONG YEARS to paint but it has been worth ever moment, when you sand back and look what you Did, yes time get tough but it is very rewarding, my be not know but in the end it is. Please keep with it there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers Deb

Comment

Monday, January 8

I've heard sermons about how prayers can be "said" in many ways -- not just on your knees when you're directly addressing God. Prayers are really how you live out your life to achieve good for yourself and for others... and in that sense, you can turn just about any activity into prayer or meditation
      Mike you are so right about prayer....I don't believe in organised religion because you can turn any task into a prayer and offer it up to whichever God you believe in, and you can do it any time you like
      A F F L..
      Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Monday, January 8

Mike,
        That was so nice....thank you for sharing it.
        A moose at your door!! What a amazing gift! Wild at heart this God of ours!!
        I think we can "see" and "hear" God in many parts of our everyday life. I watched the bright sun come up about an hour ago and was at times blinded by the light. What a wonderfull picture of God being the "light" of the world. I couldn't see anything else but the light! I think He likes that....I was reading from "My Utmost for His Highest" when this happened. It was like a !!!!!!! from Him.

Hope you all have a good day. Also posted in monthly abs.

:h Nancy
        "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Monday, January 8

Hello all.
          Very nice posts today. Thanks.

Comment

Monday, January 8

Have posted over on General discussion today, but would just like to say that today I have been alcohol free for

100 DAYS

:jumpin: :danthin: :goodtime:
            A F F L..
            Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Monday, January 8

congratulations Irishlady!

Comment

Monday, January 8

I said................I want a hat like that Irish!!

:goodjob: On 100 days!
                :h Nancy

"Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Monday, January 8

Hi Louise!

I posted congrats on General, but this is special congrats in this section.

I can tell you that things will get clearer, and better as you continue on.

Please do something nice for yourself on this day. Usually something that you don't indulge in very often. For myself, I try to get a full deep muscle massage on my milestone days. Expensive, but a good therapist knows how to reach deep, and start healings you never knew were there.

Or maybe just a few minutes spent by a lake, or in the woods to concentrate on how clear the senses have become. I know you have written a few times on how these things are coming back to you, and it always touches me a bit, because I have seen those things too.

So anyway, it is your day!! I'll be looking for you at 200 as well, because I know you are over halfway there now.

Neil

Comment

Monday, January 8

Hi Mike, Neil, Louise,Nancy Paul and Deb,
                    Mike I'm just sitting here at work feeling quite blah ( yes folks..I am as eloquent as Mike :H ) and read your beautiful post.Now if I can only find some meditative worth in this mindless office crap and the sour unfriendly team leader.(Perhaps I'll meditate on painting her a brighter colour......mmmm yes thats helping )Thank goodness its only a temp job and thank God (your pick) I can access MWO here.
                    12 weeks today for me and strangely I find counting them quite beneficial.
                    100 Louise....I'm so proud of you.I too sent my congrats on General but want to add them here also.
                    Thank you again for all the encouragement and support as it is always to all of you.
                    So glad to have you back Mike and the image of the moose and the snow made me smile...especially seeing that it's going to hit 39 deg c. here in two days time.
                    Have a great day all.
                    Stay well and sober.
                    Love
                    Victoria xoxox

Comment

Monday, January 8

The happiness that we feel for your success Louise is healing to us also so thanks for that. It all happens a day at a time and each day has its special thing somewhere (even if we have to look hard for it!!) I'd love there to be more posts like yours for us to feed off on this site.

So.. what next for you.. how is this journey going to continue to unfold for you? Is it more of the same or are there tweaks happening?

Hi to everyone else also.. Im not around this board regularly at the moment..but I do pop in from time to time and I hope thats ok. Mike, well done on the painting.. and stop 'hoping' that you will stay sober and accept that you ARE staying sober. Neil, hi my friend. Kate.. hugs from me.. I'm actually in a bit of a rush this morning so I cant flick back and save this and get everyone's name down, but hi to the rest of you also and sorry for being pushy Mike!!!

Brigid

Comment

Monday, January 8

Brigid, how lovely to hear from you, and thank you so much...No long term plans yet, just taking each day as it comes at the moment, but I must take myself in hand now as regards my diet and fitness, both of which are crap, I really need to lose about 21 pounds or so but it's finding the motivation, wonder if they have any on E-Bay ha ha....
                        A F F L..
                        Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Monday, January 8

Congrats on 100 days Louise!! Another miracle in the making! :goodjob:

Comment

Monday, January 8

Louise,
                            I had to go out this morning after I posted to you and I was thinking about you and your 100 days and wondering if my question to you may have offended you and so had to come back here.. and was pleased to see that it hadn't (phew).

I think the initial decision to get sober is a great one and its hard to do (isnt it?). Once you have some sobriety under your belt you are able to deal with other things. We all know the things that we need to address, even if we dont consciously acknowledge them at first.. and starting to look after ourselves by eating well and exercising is a good thing, also dealing with the crap inside within is a gift to ourselves.

I reckon that wanting to get sober is like wanting to live. That then is followed by a choice to live. Once you begin to live, you want to improve your lifestlye and then once your lifestyle is improving you decide you want and (gee, can this be true) deserve to have happiness in that lifestlye.

All I can say for myself is that through this process I feel like I do deserve this happiness I'm having right now. My life is NOT perfect.. I have ups and downs and dealing with my crap will be my life's work but I'm ok with that because I know I'm growing and I'm not going to drink. So, I'm not living in a happy ever after zone and I"ve finally accepted the falsehood of happily ever after because that is a destination and i dont want a destination.. I want my journey and I"m jolly well going to live it every step of the way.

And now, I need to go and process more of my crap!!!
                            hugs
                            Brigid

PS.. Hi Gina.

Comment

Working...
                            X