Negative Consequences of Drinking Too Damn Much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From those who are long time abstainers of alcohol I have read that the biggest and most important thing that they do is keep for themselves alive and real the negative consequences that their drinking has had on their lives. Basically, NEVER let yourself forget the negative consequences of excessive drinking.

I did not see a thread yet devoted specifically to journaling these negative consequences so here goes. Please add the most negative consequences you've experienced as well. I know I have a better time entering stuff here than writing it down myself...

Driving when I shouldn?t have and creating a possible DUI risk.
    Dehydrated ALL night long and well into the next day.
    Leaving the garage door open or the doors unlocked ALL night.
    Saying I?m going to stop by finding myself pulling into the liquor store anyway. What?s wrong with me?
    B.O. is far worse and same with going to the bathroom. Rancid.
    Coming to bed at 2:30 on a work night.
    Being the shot pusher and contributing to others drinking.
    Sneaking extra drinks!
    Having shaky hands from time to time.
    I?ve been an angry drunk.
    All of the MANY times I have made a complete fool of myself.
    Stupidity ? Drinking beyond stupid.
    I?ve made mountains out of molehills.
    Did I mention - Sneaking extra drinks!
    I?ve been drunk at my own family reunions.
    Running out of booze when I?m dependent with a super high tolerance which makes the terrible withdrawals PURE HELL
    Simply put: Being unable to stop.
    That feeling of being controlled.
    Being spiritually and emotionally numb.
    Took over my life and sapped my energy.
    Unable to exercise because I?m still wasted in the morning.
    High cholesterol and blood pressure
    Giving up on all my dreams.
    Blacking out on the floor.
    Being a terrible example.
    Drinking ages you and increases cancer risks, liver problems
    Dental numbing stuff doesn?t work well for me anymore.
    Once or twice I drank so much you could smell alcohol in the whole room even after I showered.
    Hearing the words, ?Don?t you remember what you said last night?? And honestly not remembering.
    I sprained my foot while drunk.
    Looking bad in pictures because of bloodshot eyes.
    I hate, ?Oh GOD what did I do/say??
    Breaking so many promises - Excuses, excuses, excuses and the look on the person?s face I gave them to.
    Embarrassed about how much and how frequent I had to go to the liquid store.
    Just getting by in life.
    Looking back at photo?s when I knew I was drunk.
    Not calling people back.
    Not being present to people important to me in life.
    Drinking is the common denominator in ALL my problems.
    Drunk texting/chatting.
    Having to replace the alcohol I drank, and then drinking the replacement and then having to replace the replacement?
    Many wasted Amazon and other online purchases while drunk.
    Sitting through a movie rental or TV show and not remember a damn thing about it the next day. Somewhat remembering when watching it again the next day.
    Baclofen Benefits: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f20/baclofen-benefits-45389.html

:bagdude: "It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult undertaking which more than anything else, will determine its successful outcome."-Williams James

Very good list, Mira. Unfortunately I could check off most of them. My daughter has been VERY tough on my drinking, and last weekend we have a wonderful, sober, daylong visit at her house. And it was FUN!
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

what a great post Mira, i just read your post and nodded at every one of them.
      Im going to add Blacking out when drinking and so not remembering what happened.
      Driving to work the next day with a bad hangover and probably still drunk.
      Leaving the tv on or stereo all night.

I am sure i will think of a lot more
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Mirwizad, good post and good point. That being said, I have come to a point now that I don't have to look at all the negative consequences of drinking. In fact I think many who become happily sober eventually don't really think about drinking at all, and instead are looking forward to waking up sober tomorrow.

I can list thousands of bad things and ill effects that were caused by my drinking, but once you learn to be happy with sobriety I really don't want to remember all the bad stuff from my past. Obviously keeping these horrible memories close by when you are in early sobriety is important to sustain and solidify why you want to be sober. But at some point your mind will change and staying sober isn't really the huge task it was when you started the journey.

The only reason why I wanted to post this was because I would like many of the people just starting ou to knowt that the rest of your sober life doesn't consist of having to drum up terrible memories of your past everyday for the rest of your life to keep yourself from hitting the bottle. Sobriety will eventually become a normal thing and you won't even have to think about it.

Comment

Holy Cow - if that's all you have to say, I don't even want to start with the things I've done - you'd be shocked. I just want to forget, and move on. I'm that ashamed!! I have made great strides in the last ten years, my family and friends have forgiven me for all the terrible things I've done...and now I'm taking the walk down the rest of the way....and it sure feels good!

P.S I'm not sure it's such a good thing for some to remember like this - it puts me in a bad place and I don't want to remember - I want to think FORWARD....
          Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
          (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Supercrew, we cross-posted - and I agree with you...newbies usually need to keep their "list" handy, but others need to keep their eye on the prize....but to each his/her own.
            Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
            (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Drinking so much that I had to be cut off and the bartender had to call for a cab.
              Being hungover the next day.
              Being so hungover from drinking so much the night before that I had to call into work (6pm job) and didn't feel better till 6pm.
              Being too hungover to eat much which would turn into getting the shakes.
              Being too hungover to go to church and I love going to church.
              Worrying about the amount that I drank.
              Losing my control over my drinking.
              Puking on myself.
              Falling down.
              Being in a chatroom and on a webcam take your shirt off to clean a spill and put the shirt back on and then realize that you were on cam while you were without your shirt.
              Being really hungover on Christmas Day. (thankfully nothing planned).

So glad to have those days behind me.
              I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

POSITIVE CONSEQUENCES OF NOT DRINKING

Supercrew, I agree I had most of those in the book, "How to change your drinking: A Harm Reduction Guide to alcohol" from over a year ago. Now a year of baclofen and it seems like who is this person? I think it's a good reminder none the less.

Perhaps we can add in POSITIVE CONSEQUENCES OF NOT DRINKING...

The reverse of all those NASTY consequences for one.
                Baclofen Benefits: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f20/baclofen-benefits-45389.html

:bagdude: "It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult undertaking which more than anything else, will determine its successful outcome."-Williams James

Comment

MWO lady i'm with you, som of the stupid things ive done whilst drunk is unreal, but behind me they go and forward on to a new me who behaes appropriately, well sometimes mischevious but definetly sober
                  I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.
                  Audrey Hepburn

Comment

The list is far too large to try and quantify.....LOL.....lets just say, I could most likely copy/paste all the above actions, and claim them as mine. (Except for the Drifty webcam one.....cuz I dont have a webcam) he heee

One of Nelz's broken record points: Nothing good ever happened because of AL
                    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Mirawizad, I too have experienced just about all of those, except for running out of booze. I never ran out of booze..... Toilet paper, yes, but not booze. It was my top priority to keep my bar well stocked. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Falling down the stairs dressed in a pumpkin costume and seriously straining my arm which I used to stop my fall. I blamed the puffiness of the costume not the booze...
                        Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                        ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

You'll find some real "doozies" in here:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...hen-23467.html

We've all done our share of stupid/dangerous things while drunk. I think sometimes it really does help to remember where we were!
                          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

I think there can be benefit to remember how bad you feel when detoxing or keeping your reasons for not going their clear in your mind.

Thanks for the other list I will check that out.

Comment

Working...
                            X