Normal Drinking: Fact or Fiction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supercrew and UnWasted, among others made some good points on one of the other threads that resonated with me. When I don't manage to be A/F which is often my goal, I pride myself on the fact that I won't normally finish a whole bottle of wine and that I am not 'sick' in the morning. You see, I think I am a normal drinker. That helps me rationalize my drinking... BUT... is any amount of alcohol consumption normal?

UnWasted noted that if the drug alcohol were discovered now it would be considered a Class 4 drug and only distributed from behind the pharmacists counter. I won't even take a tylenol to deal with a headache because I don't like putting strain on my liver.... hmmmm...

I have a severe allergy to cats and rarely take anti-histamines as they make me dopey... Duh !!!

You know what I am getting at... unfortunately, so do I. There is no such thing as normal consumption of a drug that has so many negative physical effects on one's mind and body.

Another lesson learned... baby steps to the ultimate conclusion that many of you have already reached: No amount of alcohol is normal.

Please continue to reiterate your points about normal drinking as this is a real stumbling block with me: Miss Normal Drinker
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

When I was struggling with my drinking I did a little research. Mankind has been drinking for about 10,000 years, maybe longer. As soon as we had something to ferment, we fermented it. And a natural by-product of fermentation is alcohol. And we've been getting pissed for almost as long. Just take a read of the Old Testament!! And the New as well. But both Scriptures describe people drinking "normally" as part of celebrations, or fancy dinners for example.

In my life experience, I've seen members of my family drinking to excess often, drinking a little every day but not being able to do without that little, and people like my grandmother and several aunts who would have a tiny glass on Sunday and that was it.

So what is normal? I think it's very little, once in a long while. I know I can't do that. So normal for me has to be none, never. I also think because there so many millions of dollars in this that corporate greed and advertising have shifted "normal" to drinking often and lots - just look at the ads!!! Happy people getting all they want out of life by swigging "whatever." Good topic thanks for bringing it up!!
    Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
    (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Unfortunately what with living in a cottage and having a huge family and lots of friends dropping in all the time, I think that my sense of 'normal drinking' was distorted by the fact that there is always socializing going on at the cottage. Is normal drinking, pouring one for get-togethers? This is what I had convinced myself. Unfortunatley, life is full of get-togethers.

BECAUSE of my crazy social life, I think I have to cut alcohol out completely because there is a 'valid' excuse to drink four nights out of seven. Absolutely ridiculous!!

Leaving for Toronto from the Ottawa region today in a snow storm for my Dad's 80th birthday. We'll stop in Kingston and stay the night if it gets crazy.

Will log on later.
      Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
      ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

"Normal" Drinking: Fact or Fiction?
        Fiction for me , there is nothing normal about paying money to pour poison down our throat .
        I feel as if the curtain has been lifted on the whole alcohol myth , i see no good to be had in drinking in any amount.
        Alcohol is a poison full stop, we dilute it and flavour it to make it drinkable.
        AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

In our society drinking is considered "normal".

Somewhere along the way I learned the false belief that drinking equals happiness.

I drank because I thought I was making myself happy and I thought the more I drank the happier I would get. Pretty simple concept.

But for me over the years the more I drank the more pain it caused me. I realized I had to get the two beliefs out of my head. For me drinking is not normal and it does not make me happy. In fact every major problem I have ever had in my life can be attributed to drinking.

Before I started drinking at 15 years old I was a happy, normal teenager. I had to find my way back to understand that I could live a happy fulfilled life without alcohol. I had done it before and I could do it again.

Comment

Great responses from everyone. I think about that too Crew, the me before drinking at all.
            The concept of normal can be so varied that I think it's not constructive to deal with it.
            The bottom line of it is IS it harming you?? In any amount other than very little ( or what WE would consider very little) it almost certainly is.
            It's a toxin to your system. Addiction to it will eventually kill you. But before that happy event all sorts of bad shit will go on in your life that is totally avoidable.
            NOT EASY at least at first but avoidable.

I've been thinking a lot about the time I quit before for a number of months. This time is very different. That time I was not committed to it; I was enduring it. Not embracing it as a way of life. The relapse was inevitable.
            This time it's a gut level thing-no way am I going back to that. It's like two different people-the drunk me and the new confident me. I'll not be seeing the drunk me anymore. Goodbye to her

Comment

Tipps, I think about what Jason Vale said comparing alcohol to heroin or cocaine. We don't ever say it's ok to do a little of either of those drugs. To me (regardless of what we've done historically or what's written in the Bible, which imho is all written by human beings about human beings but I digress) ..............alcohol is a drug period end of story. Our bodies are amazingly perfect machines unparalleled by anthing created by our vast technological know-how. The minute we put alcohol in our amazingly perfect machine, it fights to rid us of it. It's toxic and if we consume too much it kills us. There is absolutely no way even the smallest amount is a good thing in my opinion. Most of the research showing it has health benefits has been funded by those with vested interests, i.e. the alcohol industry.......In fact, I just read an article two days ago that exposed a scientist who had falsified findings showing a small amount of alcohol to be beneficial. Now that I have distance and perspective that's how I see it. Lots of different views on the subject I'm sure, but that's my $.02. I don't miss it anymore and now see the brainwashing clearly. I only wish I'd figured this out a long time ago. But, better late than never.

Comment

So do we have consensus on this board that there is no place for alcohol in society? That can't be right. It's been around for eons, and there really are many who can have a glass at a celebration and then wait until the next celebration comes around - isn't that what we would agree is normal? Are we being a tad unreasonable because we can't do that?

Not saying we should aim for that, because clearly we can't. But what about those on the Moderators thread? They can do it. And, frankly, I wish I could. I freely admit that. But I also freely admit I have to go back to that glorious time when I was a young teen - those golden days before I'd even tasted alcohol. That's what I must achieve - and stick to. Because for whatever reason - a gene, a bad habit - or whatever. I can't drink. But I don't want to call alcohol poison for everyone.

It clearly brings pleasure to many. It does add zest to celebrations. And I do believe the studies that say those who can tolerate it may benefit health-wise. Could we be a bit bitter over that do you think?

I realize I'm putting the cat among the pigeons but hey this is for discussion right?
                Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
                (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Not bitter at all - just think alcohol is bad news. In fact, I drank moderately for quite a while before I chose to stop drinking completely.

Comment

MWOLady;1243899 wrote: So do we have consensus on this board that there is no place for alcohol in society? That can't be right. It's been around for eons, and there really are many who can have a glass at a celebration and then wait until the next celebration comes around - isn't that what we would agree is normal? Are we being a tad unreasonable because we can't do that?

Not saying we should aim for that, because clearly we can't. But what about those on the Moderators thread? They can do it. And, frankly, I wish I could. I freely admit that. But I also freely admit I have to go back to that glorious time when I was a young teen - those golden days before I'd even tasted alcohol. That's what I must achieve - and stick to. Because for whatever reason - a gene, a bad habit - or whatever. I can't drink. But I don't want to call alcohol poison for everyone.

It clearly brings pleasure to many. It does add zest to celebrations. And I do believe the studies that say those who can tolerate it may benefit health-wise. Could we be a bit bitter over that do you think?

I realize I'm putting the cat among the pigeons but hey this is for discussion right?
                    You only have to look at Countries were alcohol is banned and ask them are they having a good time with out drinking at a celebration , being happy is a state of mind , we are brought up to think we cant be happy at a celebration unless we are drinking,it just not true .
                    AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Alcohol is fine for society, just not for me. As far as the "moderators thread", I have a hard time believing that people who need to come to a forum for alcohol problems should be trying to moderate. If you have to try to moderate then it isn't normal. The only reason why alcohol is important is because we make it important.

I found that my life is 100% better without alcohol. Why would I wish I could drink it if I know it causes me problems and pain? Please remember, for me to give up drinking completely was no small feat. Everything in my life revolved around drinking for 27 years. I planned every outing around drinking, I met my wife due to my drinking, I bought my house based on how I would be able to drink and entertain in it. Drinking alcohol was my hobby, my job, my social network, my life and I believed it was my happiness and my destiny. I learned all of these things, and all of these things were based on a lie. I don't romanticize drinking anymore. It's not healthy for anyone, it doesn't make people more interesting, and it doesn't make my happy. I make me happy.

I don't fault anyone for drinking, hell I lived to drink for 27 years, and put it in front of everything else in my life including my marriage and my children. But I now know that for me it was all a big lie. I am much happier without alcohol in my life. And it's real happiness and contentment, not a 15 minute dizzy feeling that makes me giggle and feel a little relaxed. I found something way greater than that. And the feeling of having this huge weight lifted off my back that I carried around for 27 years is just a smalll part of it. I found true freedom.

Comment

Madmans - so true. Until we realize we don't need alcohol to be happy, we're stuck in that rut of thinking we're giving something up. We experienced happiness before we ever started drinking, didn't we?! I'm just now starting to feel that again after years of the false sense of happiness that alcohol gave me for so long!

Comment

Cat among the pigeons! I love that! And yeah we're here for discussion.
                          You are right-people have been drinking alcohol for centuries, as well as using opium, cocaine etc. It is human nature to be curious, experiment, and seek altered states of consciousness.
                          There are lot sof ways to do that-including meditation.
                          I'm not bitter about people who are "normal" drinkers. I know now that sometines the "normal" drinkers are drunks too; they just don't admit it. After all there are people who have seen me have a nice business dinner with one or two glasses of wine who have no idea how I really was. That being said-if someone can have a drink and enjoy it and walk away then bravo to them. My husband was like that.
                          As Unwasted mentions the book Kick the Drink addresses the idea of envy of those people,which I certainly had. It's a hugely wasted emotion. You either are or are not addicted to alcohol, or subject to addiction so there you have it.
                          In my life alcohol didn't add "zest" to celebrations. It added hell to my life

Comment

Interesting topic. For what it is worth I think it suits our agenda to see AL as a poison that has no place in society but I would beg to differ. Drunk in small amounts it is a relaxant, it compliments food and it gives a warm glow. The problem arises when we wont put the bottle top back on and then it can progress to addiction. If we see AL as a poison then so too is caffeine, sugar, tobacco etc.. I am not saying I disagree merely that we may have a slightly bias view of AL, having seen the appalling damage it can do first hand. For the majority of people who drink in moderation I think it is perfectly acceptable, unfortunately for me it is poison.
                            Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

normal or not?

I think this is a matter of opinion and culture. I think as with other areas of life, it's important to make an individual decision about what's good for you, regardless of what's ok around you. Sounds like what you are doing is considered normal in your environment. Maybe in another environment it would be considered excessive. But there's something deep inside you that tells you that getting high so frequently is not right, even though you don't get very out of control or suffer negative consequences. Maybe healthwise you realize you could be damaging your body. Maybe you don't like the idea of being dependent on a substance.

Comment

Working...
                              X