I need to snap out of it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to snap out of it

Hi all I have been on and off of this site for several months ... I have had my ups and downs when it came to drinking ... the past few weeks I have met a wonderful man and have really started what I feel (and I think he does too) to be a fantrastic relationship. I have put the emotional abusers behind me & have met someone that truly cares about me. What's interesting is that he does not drink ... simply because he chooses not to ... he is very athletic and enjoys life without it. When I am with him I drink very moderately typically a spritzer ... but yesterday when we were apart I drank all day.. not heavily but I drank wine as I watched football & enjoyed a NY afternoon. My question is HOW CAN I SNAP OUT OF IT?
    I can fly ... I just don't know it yet

I need to snap out of it

I am terribly afraid ...

Comment

I need to snap out of it

Fan, thank you! I am just a wreck right now... but I have every reason to be happy... that's why I simply want to snap out of it... not so easy I guess huh? I have experienced too much change all at once and my way of dealing is to drink... I know that is not the best coping mechanism but damn it I am stuck!

Comment

I need to snap out of it

A lot of people have had the horrifying "first" time of telling their significant others about this site. I told mine. He still doesn't get it. Knows I am trying to cut down drinking and comes here but that's about it. Others have very, very supportive partners. You will get the support you need. Ask around.
        "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

I need to snap out of it

Welcome!

I know what you mean about divulging that part of you. It leaves you vulnerable. Vulnerability is a place of true discomfort.

I let my sig. other know about this site when he was home for the holidays. I shared with him about my finding a place to read, post and where I have found strength and hope.

He wanted to check it out too. I said no at the time, because, I was feeling vulnerable. Like he would judge me for gaining hope through a website. I honestly thought he would laugh at me... (Keep in mind, he has the exact same problem as me).

A couple of days before he left I shared this with him. I was still feeling vulnerable, and feared about being judged. The only thing he said to me was "Cool, I am glad you found something that inspires you to get better. And when I have some time, I just may join up too."

So, you see you never know. Don't let your fears hold you back. Being honest with yourself and the ones you love is always the right thing to do. Let him know when you are ready. In the meantime, stay here, post away, read away, and gain some strength and confidence back. The more information you receive, the more support you receive - the more ammo your brain will receive to fight this!

Comment

I need to snap out of it

That's so great Accountable! So great.
            "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

I need to snap out of it

Yes, thats awesome accountable!
              imnewhere - you know we are here for you.
              Love jen
              Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

I need to snap out of it

Has anyone here ever read the big book of AA? I am 90 days sober, and no longer have the desire to drink. I am not here to preach it's teachings, but I will tell how I've benefited from it's guidelines, and strong foundation. I had tried numerous avenues, and tried to controll it myself. There is only 1 way that worked for me. I'm really glad I found it.

Many of the postings I've read express that the community sees themselves powerless over thier addiction. It's not uncommon as we are different from those that can control it. We have a unique genetic code, that is pre-disposed to chemical addition. Self-destruction of the medicating kind. I've researched plenty, and found that mentaly, and physically, there is chink in our armor that does not allow us to drink successfuly, as normal people can. It's actually been labled as an allergic reaction. I don't think that one substance can successfully displace the urge or craving for another. You're substituting, and really fooling yourself. Independence is key. Depending on another substance, or chemical is false.
                Eric

Comment

I need to snap out of it

Imnewhere,
                  Sounds like you really have a lot at stake to manage this drinking thing...maybe you can look at this new relationship as a sign of what is possible if you just keep showing up here and working on your progress! I think you are saying that you want to snap out of this conflict..the addiction? Am I correct? It sounds like you handle things fine when you are with this healthy man, but you digress when you are alone. Reach out when you are alone, when you are here...find some new hobbies that are in line with the things that you love..I really believe that a lot of drinking is due to habit, and when I picked up that habit, it seemed like all of my other interest became forgotten..but they were not lost. Dig deep inside for those things that you may have forgotten that you liked to do...heck, pick up some needlework, crochet, paint by numbers if you don't have a hobby...buy some fish, make an herb garden...feed these new things that are coming into your life..they will stay if you do...not just when you are with this man, who is but a symbol of what is possible for you right now..feed those things, starve the old habit and you will snap out of it before you even know it!
                  best of luck!
                  d

Comment

I need to snap out of it

thanks dilayne

you are correct and appear to be very wise at this point I do have to break a habit... ironically I did pick up a paint by number... I plan to check in here more often than not... thanks so much for the support and kind words...

Comment

Working...
                    X