So whats the big deal about 1 drink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When i was an active problem drinker (yes alcoholic) i was working two jobs and very functional. I was still in the denial stage. One of my coworkers was a recoverying alcoholic who had lost everything, his wife, job, home. He was very open about his problem and i used to think what a loser. One day my boss told me that this coworker had a beer on fathers day and he was devastated. WHAT THE HELL i thought, he had one drink and that was so upsetting. How could he be upset about one drink i thought. Here i was drinking everynight til i passed out and he was upest about one drink!?

Well now i know what he was thinking. That one drink leads you right back to hell. He knew it and luckily i know it. Tomorrow i am 10 months AL Free and i do know that i can never even have 1 drink. It is no longer upsetting to me, i actually feel free. Everyday I feel stronger. I have been put thru absolute hell since New Years and I have made it thru this. It is not over yet, but i do know that at my darkest hours when i thought i could not take this anymore, when i thought i would need to drink to get thru this, i found amazing strength.

In the last 4 years of my drinking, i used to pray to God to lead me from this hell of addiction. I was still functional with a great job, my own home and no one knew what kind of hell i was living in. After a horrible humiliating experience last March i finally found my strength to do this. I used that experience to reinforce why i could never drink again. I have worked so hard these past 10 months to learn how to live again. With God, Smart Recovery and this website i have found peace and sobriety. I will work everyday for the rest of my life to fight this battle. And no, I can never ever have even 1 drink. And thats just fine with me.
    AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Dont know where that purplely sad face came from it front of my thread. I am happy!!!! Dont know how to change it so i just wanted to say something cause I am definately NOT sad
    AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

10 months.....Way to Go, Red!!!!

I am glad you are here and that you have shared your experience and insight. You show us that it is possible to leave addiction behind....and find peace.
      Sober for the Revolution!
      AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Great job Red!!

It's funny because I felt the same way. I used to think what the hell would 1 drink do? But now I remember it was never just 1. Congrats again on your success!!

Comment

I briefly saw it but it's gone. Thanks for your story. Will be keeping in mind.

Comment

Hi All
            Red good to hear a strong voice here. Yes it is a fight at the start and yes its hard very hard no way around it. Keep working your plan and add to it what ever you feel is needed. You have stoped drinking it is now the sober lifestyle you are working on. I also used smart recovery along with this site. Takes many tools to break away from the al.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
            AF 5-16-08
            Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
            AF 5-16-08

Comment

Red - congratulations on 10 months AF! Wonderful achievement and so good to hear you are happy.
              "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
              AF - JAN 1st 2010
              NF - May 1996

Comment

Congrats Red, 10 months is brilliant as is the realisation that happiness is in the freedom we gain.
                Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Red well done on your 10 months, great achievement.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                  I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Good going Red!

Yes, one drink will be a BIG deal!
                    Congrats on 10 months!
                    I'm holding on, because I want to feel that freedom and calm that others are talking about...

SH
                    12-20-2012 AF
                    Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Really well done Red. A great motivator for the rest of us.
                      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

One drink leads to whole bottles. One drink is a big deal....good thread! If we could all stop at one, we wouldnt need to be here.
                        Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Working...
                        X