Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rise and Shine... it's Tuesday, Jan 9th

Mornin' all,

No time this morning, I'm off to meet a good friend for a hard long power walk through the woods. I'm so looking forward to this. I havent' seen her in weeks, it's early morning, the weather is actually very mild and the area we walk is Swiss wonderful scenic. This will be a complete emotional and physical fix!

Neil, no, haven't gotten through the first set yet. I'm still reading. My daughter was flipping through the book at breakfast this morning and can't wait til I'm walking up the wall upside down... Seriously, I'm gonna take this slow and steady... "meditatively"... I'll keep you posted.

Wishing everyone else a special Tuesday... may you find one little unexpected thing you do differntly today that will bring a smile to your face.

Take care, Olly

Good Morning-

That walk sounds just perfect Olly. I woke up a little late this morning but made it to my 5am appt. My trainer had a substitute though - guess he was under the weather. It was fine. Worked out chest and arms and then did 20 min on the treadmill.
    I was up a little late last night. One of my kitties is sick and I took him to the vet last night. He was dehydrated but she doesn't know what the issue is yet. Tested him for feline aids and leukemia- both neg thank goodness. He never goes outside. Thought he would be better this morning but he still has not eaten. He's sleeping on my bed now. So, if you would say a prayer for my little guy I would really appreciate it. The vet is running more blood tests and I'll hear back this afternoon. He is 10yrs old now so he's officially a Senior kitty.

Anyway- hope you all have a great day.
    driking my green tea ....one of the suggestions on You on a Diet..

Lisa

Comment

Hi Everybody, you are all doing so well!!! I am doing so not!!! At least as far as an exercise and diet program. If you read the moderation thread, you know that between my son's upcoming bar mitzvah and a faculty luncheon that we did yesterday, I'm beat!!! I know I sound like the queen of procrastination, but I've decided to stop stressing about this stuff until after the Bar Mitzvah on Saturday. I have lost a few pounds but not in a healthy way. As far as drinking, still maintaining the goals I had set for last year, but haven't even begun to focus on this years!! Shame on me -- I know, I gotta get moving!!

Don't give up on me -- I'm hoping to be back in full force on Monday.

Love to all,
      MM
      Saving the day one minute at a time!

Comment

Give up on you, MM? NO WAY..!!! We know you'll be back , and are so happy to know so.
        Good luck with the BarMitzvah planning, prep and party. I didn't get into my groove until yesterday... the first two weeks were still "vacation" here and I just didn't want to stress. No, I just really just wanted to relax. And I did. I'm on Day 9 AF and that's helping immensely for me. I feel like the cobwebs are cleared out from my holiday drinking and I'm back on solid footing.

I started yesterday by going back and updating my info at sparkpeople.. so I'm back to tracking my eating and exercise. Like the boards here, it really helps to keep my issues in my face at some point during the day. Makes it easier to keep focused. But, man, does it take a chunk of time! Still working on the efficiency factor. But, the rest is all good.

Hope to see you again soon.
        take care, Olly

Comment

Thanks Olly, you are terrific!!
          Monica
          Saving the day one minute at a time!

Comment

Good Grief!! Aerobic vs. Anaerobic.

Hey you guys! Mr. Stoopid here. Mr. Dummy. Mr. Ignoramus.

Well, that's a bit overstating the self-derision, but I found out something quite amazing.

As many of you know, I cross-train. Bikes, running, weights, different kinds of stretching, calanetics, calisthenics, a bit of yoga. Whatever to keep it mixed up and interesting.

I looked at my stats for the last several cardio workouts, and saw that I had been consistently overtraining into the anaerobic zone. Left me feeling burnt out a bit. My zone for the pulse computer, for my age and base metabolic rate is 120 to 138 beats per minute. I always trained in the upper half, or over that zone.

Tonight, I just cut back a bit, and kept in the lower half of the aerobic zone. Here's the stats.

Total time: 24:34
            Distance: 8.21 K
            Ergometer: 171

Max pulse: 129
            Pulse time window: 20:00
            Time over zone: 0
            Time in zone: 18:16
            Time under zone: 1:44
            Average pulse: 122

Well, gee! I feel pretty gosh darn good right now. I can almost feel the oxygen bubbles sparking in my blood stream. This is true aerobic zone, also know as the fat burner zone.

I had been working out too hard on the cardio for the last several months. My outside workouts alway went WAY OVER the anaerobic zone, into the hard expansion zone.

Anyway. I can really feel the difference. Aerobic=with oxygen. Anaerobic=without oxygen
            The expansion zone for my age is gasping for every breath.

So I learned a little something on tonights workout. CUT BACK every so often, and do not burn out. A lot of ex-boozers, like myself, are hard pushers, always expecting maximum performance out of themselves. You don't have to win the olympic decathlon every day (fat chance of that for my age and condition!)

Feeling good!!! :woot: :jumpin:

Neil

Comment

Hi Neil,
              Good for you. Just thought I let you know that there is a statistic out that shows that lazy people live longer, hahahah.
              No really, I just wanted to know from you what Calanetics are. I have never heard of that. Please explain.
              Lori
              *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi Lori:

Callanetics is a no impact (no jumping, punching, or pounding) type of calisthenics. Short small movements of focused muscle groups.

Here is official website:

Callanetics - Callan Pinckney's non impact exercise books & videos, Chicago class schedule

Here is some videos at Amazon:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Callanetics-Exercise-Eve-Brody/dp/6300185486]Amazon.com: Callanetics / Exercise: Video: Eve Brody,Midge Keator,Allison Nurse,Margaret Pinckney,Ray Proscia,Justin Ross (IV),Manera Smith,Anne Sweeting,Anna Tipton,Callan Pinckney,Patricia Birch[/ame]

I found out about it back when I was having terrible back spasm problems, and was trying everything. Dope, massage, chiropractic, ice, heat, you name it. It helped to get my movement back.

Read the reviews on Amazon website at bottom of page.

Neil

Comment

Hi Neil,
                  Thanks for the info.
                  There is something I wanted to say about this slow moving chinese exercise - the name of which escapes me momentarily. You know what I mean. All the oldies do it all over Shanghai etc. at lunch time.
                  Well, when I was very young, I was a figure skater. Amongst the members of our club there was a 89 year old Physician, who regularly did this exercise while moving at a pretty good speed on speed skates, if you please. Apparently he had learned that form of exercising while working in China with a young Canadian Dr. by the name of Bethune. He was asketically lean and had the bluest, sparkliest eyes I have ever seen in one so old. We kids used to giggle into our mittens, but my father told me to respect whatever he choose to do.
                  Well I took a course and tried it a couple of years ago. If you do it for one hour, it becomes a hell of a workout and it looks sooooo easy.
                  I just wanted to share this with you for no apparent reason.
                  Lori
                  *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                  X