Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday January 10

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd start a new thread so we'd all have a place to post today... I'm still waking up with my first cup of coffee here.

I'm in kind of a strange place right now, and feeling out of sorts. It has to do with two of the big changes in my life, and none of it is unexpected... I have accepted a new job and given notice at my old one, but it's going to be a few weeks yet before that transition takes place... so I feel a bit strange, working out my time in the old job and ready to move into the new one. At the same time, I have bought a new condo, but haven't yet moved into it. I've been painting it and getting it ready... the carpets are being steam cleaned this week, so I suppose I could start moving this weekend. But at the moment I'm in an old job and an old home, waiting to move into a new job and a new home. It's all very exciting, but also a bit frustrating because I want to hurry up and make both my moves. It also feels strange having my feet in both places, in two areas of my life, if that makes sense. I feel as if I'm running all over the place, trying to get all this stuff done, and hardly have any time to stop and rest.

Anyway, I'm not freaking out about any of it but I do realize that I'm not feeling quite my best either. I am trying to remember to take things a day at a time and let them just unfold as they will, and not push myself too hard. I'm also trying to just let the unsettled, transitory feeling of this month be ok with me, as I know that it's temporary. I'll soon be settling into both my new home and my new job and before long they will both become familiar to me.

In any event, I know one thing for sure: I couldn't handle going through this if I were getting drunk all the time. I just wouldn't be able to get through it physically or mentally. So while I may be feeling a little bit frazzled, the fact that I'm handling it shows that I'm able to cope with much more than I could have just a few months ago. So as I've said many, many times: thank God I don't have to drink any more.

That's what's going on in my world today. How are you all doing?

Mike
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Wednesday January 10

Hi Mike,
    Well what an exciting time for you at the moment...All that hard work you have put into your life recently is starting to pay off....Just think...New Year....New Journey alcohol free....New Job....New Home....As you say, you are feeling a bit frazzled at the moment, but at least its healthy frazzled and not the worst kind....hungover frazzled...Remember those days!!!!! Let me be the first to send you a card to welcome you to your new home...

Take care Mike,
    Love Louise xxx
    A F F L..
    Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Wednesday January 10

Morning Mike and oirish...
      Mike, I know it must be sort of unsettling with the new changes, there's a list isn't there somewhere, in which is laid down the 100 most stressful events, and each one is given a point score. Moving house/changing jobs/marriage/divorce etc all rate quite highly. As you so rightly say though...the stresses would have been tenfold with the addition of a drinking problem (I think booze probably work like 'dog years' when working out stress points!)
      Here's hoping that both new ventures go as smoothly as possible for you...and a nice thought is, that you will be approaching each completely sober....No drinking episodes in the freshly painted abode...and no hungover mornings at the new job...what a great way to start ANYTHING new.....!
      ps If your house is anything like the picture that Oirish has sent...you don't want a lodger do you????? Apart from the flag, that is just how I imagine my 'little villa in the country' enjoy Mike....xo

Comment

Wednesday January 10

Hello everyone,

Just a quck check-in to say hi. It's evening here on Day 10. Life is good.

Mike, just wanted to say congratulations on GETTING the new job!! You are a bit modest, aren't you?
        Anyway, I couldn't help but getting a very clear image of you and the proverbial "new door". Seems the universe is bringing you a "new door" is both aspects of where you live! How wonderful. Me thinks this is a wonderful thing and something you've earned with the hard work and great job you've done deciding to take care of yourself, value your spirit and help some many others along the way.

When's the house-warming party?

Hmm... does this mean you've "moved on up" in Absville too???

take care everyone,
        Olly

Comment

Wednesday January 10

Hi everyone...
          Mike, sounds like you are definitely in one of those 'transitional spaces' in every sense of the words-not only because of the literal logistics of it all but also in your transition to a life of abstinence... I've come to love and hate that phrase..I love it because it gives me something to hold on to when I'm in one..I've had quite a few in my life...my therapist told me the 'artist' tend to be in those spaces more than most of us, so I guess I've qualified to fulfill that hypothesis. I don't think there is anyway to cliff note it but to be fully in that space because if you don't spend your time just 'riding it out', you might find some gifts to bring to the next space you find yourself in.

I'm good today..I'm still doing my diet and have just been hungry even though I'm eating a lot of 'good' food..it feels good though.

Hi Louise, Weemelon and Olly..and all to come,
          di

Comment

Wednesday January 10

Hi Mike,Louise,Di,Olly and Melon(Bloody Kiwi's )
            It's Thursday morning here and it's bloody hot hot hot.
            At 3 am this morning it was 32deg celcius and at 7.45am its still 31.I'm melting I'm melting.....
            I'm envious of you Mike...I love going off on new life adventures but the changes I am facing are all a bit gloomy.Never mind ops!:
            I look forward to dropping by here each day to catch up with you guys.It brightens my day a little.
            Have a great day or evening whichever your having.
            Stay happy
            Victoria xxoxxo

Comment

Wednesday January 10

Hey Stollies,

You know, we're here if there's anything (not so good or gloomy) that you want our support for!! Don't hesitate to get the yucky stuff "off your chest" if you think it might help you feel stronger, and better.

Man, I love hot weather! Although, 32 at 3:00am sounds more than hot!

keep cool,
              Olly

Comment

Wednesday January 10

Hi Mike,
                It sounds all so very exiting. New home, new job and all of that is coming to you while you have a clear head to absorb it and enjoy it all. At times even stress can be a good thing.
                Will you miss the Moose visits?
                Tell us what kind of cyber house warming gift we can get you. Don't be shy, we just don't want to duplicate something that your other friends have already given you.
                Hang in there and enjoy the ride.
                Lori
                *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Wednesday January 10

Hi everbody:

I remember when I moved from an apartment in the town where I work, to my house out here in the rural forest. It was a great time for me, although thats been 12 years ago now. Now only 3 more years to go on the house payments, and it's all mine!! Just got my propane bill. GAK!!

Anyway, hang in there. A lot of transition all at once really stresses out the mind, body, and soul. I also know albout wanting to get into the new digs as fast as you can, but you are doing right by doing some of those renovations now before you move in. Much more difficult to do it once all the furniture is in.

Mike, whats an acre of land go for out on the fringes up there? By fringes, I mean still can get electric and phone, but no sewer, water, gas, or cable. Basically same deal I have here at my place. Have to run septic, water well, and propane on my own.

Too cold for my taste up there, but curious. Around here it's about $2000 per acre.

Neil

Comment

Wednesday January 10

Thanks, all, for the encouraging words. I do feel quite stressed right now, but I also recognize this as a time of opportunity for me to create a good environement for myself, both at home and at work. And thanks, Di, for the reminder to "be" in this time of transition rather than just riding it out.... I've been in the mode of just wanting it to be over so I can "go back" to living! Wow, as if my life were on hold! (Which is how it feels at the moment...)

And Neil, land on the outskirts of town can vary wildly in price depending on the location. We are surrounded by rolling hills and the vegetation, winter temperature, and view depend on your elevation... the higher the elevation, the higher the price. (Winter temperatures in the hills are actually warmer than in the valleys.) Anyway the price for land like you describe ranges from $2000 to $20,000 (eek!) per acre or more. The $20K land would be on a hillside with a view of the city and the mountain range on the southern horizon, including Mt. McKinley, and would be above the ice fog in the winter (where it really never gets below -20 degrees). People who buy that kind of land, of course, tend to build half-million dollar homes on it.

Mike
                    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Wednesday January 10

P.S. Cyber house warming gift? Hmmm.... well the best thing I can think of is just to have plenty of gatherings in my new home with good friends in sobriety, like you.

Otherwise I'll take gift certificates to Home Depot.

Comment

Working...
                      X