Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changes in understanding of alcohol problems

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh40/55-63.pdf

We often have a lot of discussion here about the term alcoholism and whether it is a disease, what causes it etc. I came across this interesting article in the Journal of the NIAAA and I know some of you would like to read. It goes over the misconceptions about alcohol problems, which were based on unscientific theories. It uses the term alcohol use disorders to describe a range of problems with different degrees of severity. Ideas about alcoholism were based mainly on the most severe cases who came to treatment centers or AA. There are many more people than that and people often get better without treatment, just by deciding to change. And it addresses the lack of training at treatment centers. One more thing, it acknowledges that medications are available but underused. Could be a good article to take to doctors to educate them for those who want meds.

Thanks Nancy, great article. Had to find my glasses. Thanks again.

Be well B-45

Comment

Thank you so much, Nancy. This is very interesting!!
      I read it, and have bookmarked it to read again later. Hope more members read it, too!

:thanks:TDN
      "One day at a time."

Comment

Thank you Nancy.

I am amazed at how different we all can experience this disease.
        12-20-2012 AF
        Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Working...
        X