A wisdom story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A wisdom story

An aging Hindu master grew tired of his apprentice complaining, and so, one morning, sent him for some salt. When the apprentice returned, the master instructed the unhappy young man to put a handful of salt in a glass of water and then to drink it. “How does it taste?” the master asked. “Bitter,” spat the apprentice.

The master then asked the young man to take another handful of salt and put it in the lake nearby. Once the apprentice swirled his handful of salt in the water, the old man said, “Now drink from the lake.” As the water dripped down the young man’s chin, the master asked, “How does it taste?” “Fresh,” remarked the apprentice. “Do you taste the salt?” asked the master. “No,” said the young man.

At this, the master took the young man’s hands, offering, “The pain of life is pure salt; no more, no less. The amount of pain in life remains exactly the same. However, the amount of bitterness we taste depends on the container we put the pain in. So when you are in pain, the only thing you can do is to enlarge your sense of things . . .Stop being a glass. Become a lake.”

I heard this while watching Super Soul Sunday today and I thought how profound. We all have pain in our lives and this just put it into perspective for me.

And remember the salt is probably much more bitter in a shot glass (at least for me it was)
    AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

A wisdom story

what a good saying
    I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.
    Audrey Hepburn

Comment

A wisdom story

Wow. That's a keeper. Thanks Red.
      Day 1 again 11/5/19
      Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
      Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
      Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
      11/27/19: messed up but back on track
      12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

A wisdom story

Love that concept. And the perfect analogy-salt in a shot glass!

Thank you for that today

Comment

A wisdom story

Love it Red! Thank you for sharing.

Chill
          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
          AF - JAN 1st 2010
          NF - May 1996

Comment

A wisdom story

Thank you for sharing that, Red. It's great!

TDN
            "One day at a time."

Comment

A wisdom story

Love it
              Stella

Back to the beginning day 02 Jan 2013

Grateful for MWO :thanks:

Comment

A wisdom story

Beautiful sentiment Red. Thanks!

Comment