MONDAY UPDATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MONDAY UPDATE

Made it through the office situation! Phew!
    Home now working until 8 tonight. In keeping with trying to live more mindfully I discovered something. I've decided to listen WAY more than talk, which is probably for most a good idea.
    It seems that a lot of things that used to come out of my mouth were said to generate a certain desired response. Let me know anyone if you can relate to this or I need to elaborate. I'm glad to recognize it and glad to be more quiet. Well...not that I was loud or boisterous but still.............

MONDAY UPDATE

Ann, I do this too and am trying to stop it. I find myself saying things I wish I hadn't. I think I try to fill silence voids to make people comfortable, which isn't always the thing to do!

Comment

MONDAY UPDATE

Ann 221;1249741 wrote: Made it through the office situation! Phew!
      Home now working until 8 tonight. In keeping with trying to live more mindfully I discovered something. I've decided to listen WAY more than talk, which is probably for most a good idea.
      It seems that a lot of things that used to come out of my mouth were said to generate a certain desired response. Let me know anyone if you can relate to this or I need to elaborate. I'm glad to recognize it and glad to be more quiet. Well...not that I was loud or boisterous but still.............
      Noooooooooooooooooo, uh oh, nope, not me, nevvvvvver! LMAO I am so guilty of that, that a trial of my peers would NOT be necassary.

Good for you, maybe Ill give that a shot for a while. I think it will be much easier without AL running through my veins, clouding my judgement
      Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

MONDAY UPDATE

Being in sales I was given some good advice years ago, you have two ears and one mouth so you should listen twice as much as you speak.

Now I don't always use that advice outside of work situations, because I realized that I like to hear myself talk, and many times I talk to get a desired response which isn't always forthcoming. especially when dealing with my wife or my 23 year old step son. In fact sometimes they respond wrong just to piss me off...can you imagine that!

Congrats on making it through the work situation! Have a great night!

Comment

MONDAY UPDATE

yes, that sure rings a bell. I can feel silence in my gut....it's horrible. I wonder if that has anything to do with being unsure of myself, or being shy, or whatever....I think the other person might not want to be in my company, so I have to entertain - you know tell stories, go on and on....

why is silence so uncomfortable. I wouldn't make a very good nun. And yet sometimes I yearn for silence just so I can think...I've read that cops interrogate people very effectively just by being silent for a few minutes....the poor suspect can't stand the silence and he spills his guts....is that why cell phones are so popular? We can't even wait in a store line without gabbing to someone on the phone. I remember running a marathon and saw another runner on the PHONE!!!!!!

So why am I babbling on and on right now? They say some people just can't shut up, do you think that's true, like, can that be, well, I don't know, am I doing that now do you think - not people like you and me, surely???? :H:H
          Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
          (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

MONDAY UPDATE

I also find that comparing myself to others is a counterproductive habit. No sense in that.

I am still amazed at how everything is so wrapped up in drinking if that's the kind of lifestyle you've lived. I think my mood is being affected by the lack of exercise in the past several days-better hit the treadmill, or woods if it's not too cold!

Comment

MONDAY UPDATE

I am still amazed at how everything is so wrapped up in drinking if that's the kind of lifestyle you've lived.

Ann, I thought that way for a long time and then realized it was only my perception. Once my perception changed I realized that nothing was really wrapped up in drinking except for my mind.

The realization really hit me when I realized that my wife doesn't drink at all, yet she is with me almost everywhere I go, dinner, parties, ball games, tailgates. It was weird she doesn't drink let alone get drunk she doesn't even think about alcohol...how does she do it? She realized a long time ago that she didn't like the effects of alcohol because they made her feel out of control. No one looks at her like an outcast when she turns down a drink, no one gives it a second thought, whether they know her or not. Yet she has been by my side for the last 20 years where every movement and decision I made was based on how I was going to get drunk or moderate or whatever, but it was normally based on how, where and what I was going to drink. Change your perception of what alcohol means to you and you will realize nothing is wrapped up in drinking no matter what your lifestyle if you don't want it to be.

Comment

Working...
              X