Intervention Kimberly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intervention Kimberly

Did anyone see Intervention last night? The show was about a 34 year old alcoholic who drank 1 gallon of wine, 1 bottle of spirits and a six pack every day. She drank morning till night. She doesn't work and is supported by a very wealthy sugar daddy.

I found myself being quite judgmental since "I'm not nearly that bad. I only drink 1 bottle or less a day. I never drink before 4:30. Etc, etc." I have learned from shows like this that my addicted brain loves when extreme alcoholics are featured since by comparison, I'm not that out of control, so I might as well keep drinking. I have to stay present to the fact that my amount of drinking is very detrimental to me, regardless of what others do. Also, keeping it up could lead me down the same path as Kimberly.

Intervention Kimberly

I didn't see it but it sounds so sad...
    and I know that mindset
    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Intervention Kimberly

Hey LFP

I stayed up just to watch that. So sad and scary

Comment

Intervention Kimberly

I didn't see that episode, but I know exactly where ur coming from. Some of them are EXTREME. When I start beating myself up, I watch that show.

:wings:Love, Peace, and Happiness!

Comment

Intervention Kimberly

Looking for Peace -- I think you bring up a good point here. If how much people drink on intervention shows was the bar, we'd probably all still be drinking. We know what our limits are, and for me, they were a hell of a lot less than that. I think there are tons of people who drink too much and are sacrificing their overall wellbeing. We are lucky to have determined what our maxes are and are doing something about it. I feel too many people are using the maxed-out usage guidelines and see themselves "as not that bad" and keep heading towards the inevitable. For me anything over 2 units a night and 7 units a week is too much and I will never adhere to those limits.

Oh...I was going to say... I did not see the show, but will try to catch it on demand. I am such a wimp! These kinds of stories always make me feel really sad. I really want them to do better and it is always so hard.

Comment

Intervention Kimberly

I did see the show, in fact i have watched Intervention since it started. I also posted and read alot on the Intervention boards and met a very special person who never gave up on me and has always supported me in getting sober.

They do usually show the most extreme cases but when it come to the alcoholics i can always relate to thier stories and think that could have been me someday. I use the show as reinforcement just as i do this site and anything else i can read or watch about addiction. Have to stay on guard all the time against this.

It was sad to see that she did not seem to benefit from the help and that she is still in denial about her addiction.
            AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Intervention Kimberly

I have thought that too, when watching Intervention -- "oh, I'm not THAT bad." In fact, that's half the reason for watching it, for justification. (We won't even get into the Hoarders show.

Comment

Intervention Kimberly

CSO4, I totally relate to hoarders as well, "I'm not that messy, so why bother picking anything up?". Same thing with Intervention. I get the feeling of being justified in my amount of drinking whenever I watch it, it's kind of a relief. It's stupid, I know, but it helps me continue my drinking.

I would like to see an Intervention episode about a middle aged housewife who drinks about a bottle of wine a day after coming home at 5pm. Who has "functioned" semi ok through life, but has also had a lot of issues and problems (short of dui, losing a job and losing kids) due to her drinking. A woman who has basically not reached her true potential, is depressed and unhappy and who has stopped bettering herself a long time ago. I'd be very interested in watching that epsiode!

Comment

Intervention Kimberly

I am the complete opposite. I always think I am worse than others. Those in rehab, those in my AA meetings and those on Intervention.

My twisted mind has often said, "Why bother?"

It is amazing how we can use any situation to excuse continuation of our addiction.

Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Intervention Kimberly

I did watch it. Used to watch the show last summer, then couldn't seem to find it for a while. Now I watch every Monday, hoping I won't fall asleep in the middle of it.
                    What I found especially awful was the fact that the boyfriend locked her in a room for four days to detox her!!!! With the amount she was drinking, I am really surprised--as she was--that she didn't have a seizure or die. Could not figure that boyfriend out. And it was so sad that she was arrested four days after coming home from a three month rehab. And in total denial. I am grateful that I am still sober after leaving rehab thirty-six days ago. I did relapse right away after my short rehab last summer, so understand how it happens. Triggers.

TDN
                    "One day at a time."

Comment

Intervention Kimberly

I used to watch intervention...while drinking for the last few years. I did look at some of the people and say, "well I'm not that bad", but there were others who didn't drink as much as me, but there lives were a total mess and I was still functioning. I started drinking beer during my morning showers because I saw some guy do it in one episode and it looked refreshing.

I quit watching because I really think it is counter productive. I don't really want to judge my life or my drinking based on what someone I see on TV doing. I judge my life against myself, trying to strive for improvement everyday. As long as I'm getting better daily it doesn't matter what someone else is doing. Plus the show sort of makes me sad, especially when you relate to someone then they have a melt down or fail. For me, it's not healthy to watch anymore.

Comment

Intervention Kimberly

LFP, by most standards I wasn't even a problem drinker. But, alcohol was making me feel horrible.

I saw the show - that woman had some severe underlying issues so I don't think she'll get sober without some heavy duty counseling.

I love Intervention and even though she was extreme, the show still reminds me of where I don't want to go.

Comment

Intervention Kimberly

I have watched a couple episodes. I find them depressing. Despite the drama and confrontation involved in the interventions, there is a pretty slim chance that those people will stay clean and sober in the long-term. Do they do follow-up shows showing how well someone is doing a year or two later. I would love to watch that!
                          Ginger

You are here:
                          sigpic

Comment

Intervention Kimberly

Ginger, I think they have done some follow up shows (it's been a while since I've seen any though). I would bet the success rate of those people is extremely low. I know some have died.

Comment

Intervention Kimberly

Martie;1250312 wrote: Same thing with Intervention. I get the feeling of being justified in my amount of drinking whenever I watch it, it's kind of a relief. It's stupid, I know, but it helps me continue my drinking.

I would like to see an Intervention episode about a middle aged housewife who drinks about a bottle of wine a day after coming home at 5pm. Who has "functioned" semi ok through life, but has also had a lot of issues and problems (short of dui, losing a job and losing kids) due to her drinking. A woman who has basically not reached her true potential, is depressed and unhappy and who has stopped bettering herself a long time ago. I'd be very interested in watching that epsiode!
                              Hi, Martie,
                              We haven't met, but I think we might be long-lost twins.
                              Not drinking like I used to, but still at it a bit.
                              Intervention is too depressing to watch. Can't do it. Can watch Hoarders either. My heart aches for all of them.
                              Juja :l
                              "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Working...
                              X