In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The subject line is the title of a book that I have not read. The author works with very hardcore, down-and-out, opiate addicts. He has some unusual ideas about where addiction comes from and how it is best treated. I'm on the fence in argument about whether any kind of addiction is a matter of genetics or environment. I think that there is plenty of room for both, but I think his ideas are intriguing. Here is a short video where he talks about his life's work, trying to help homeless, hopeless addicts in Canada. I would love to hear other people's thoughts on it.

*Edited to add that he also talks about attention deficit disorder.

"In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts": Dr. Gabor Maté, Physician at Vancouver Safe-Injection Site, on the Biological and Socio-Economic Roots of Addiction and ADD
    Ginger

You are here:
    sigpic

Hi Ginger. Funny coincidence - I just watched some of that Doctor's videos recently. I too found his ideas intriquing. His theories seem to be aligned with those who believe one cause of propensity for drug addiction lies in brain chemistry. The difference seems to be that some thing that has genetic roots and he believes in a different cause - his ideas about early attachment, etc.

One thing that can't be argued is some of the statistics he talks about. There is a very high correlation between childhood trauma and drug abuse/addiction (alcohol being a drug).

I would love to see some of the brain scan images he talks about.

Another doctor I find intriquing is Dr. Nora Volkow (lots of youtubes of her on the net too). She is the current head of NIDA (National Institute on Drug Abuse)

Thanks for sharing here. VERY interesting guy.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Doggygirl;1254359 wrote: His theories seem to be aligned with those who believe one cause of propensity for drug addiction lies in brain chemistry. The difference seems to be that some thing that has genetic roots and he believes in a different cause - his ideas about early attachment, etc.
      Yes! I have a problem with the single cause scenario too. Steven Pinker, who has never written about addiction to my knowledge, says the exact opposite. I haven't read anything from him about the effect of real trauma but, in general, I think he is right.

Steven Pinker chalks it up to the blank slate | Video on TED.com

I also think that Gabor Mat? has found some truth even though he is saying something wholly opposite from Pinker. But Pinker does not dismiss experience, he just thinks it's a much lesser thing than the brain wiring that happens when processing experience. But Mate believes it often happens before we even have the ability to process, before we even know language, so . . .

I can't hold two conflicting ideas in my head or it will explode. :H So, I negotiated a compromise wherein I think that both of them have stumbled onto part of the truth.
      Ginger

You are here:
      sigpic

Comment

Ginger,

I do not disagree with the doctor that life experiences, especially early imprints, definitely affect future behavior and reactions. But, as an alcoholic who was raised in very comfortable circumstances and with a very loving and caring family around, my experience is widely divergent from Dr. Mate`s.

The same for cousins of mine who are alcoholics. Interestingly, my cousins and I did not grow up anywhere near each other and so do not share similar childhood experiences. (Army brat, here.)

I am afraid that the doctor's view is distorted by the sampling universe he is working within. He, himself, grew up in horrible circumstances and he is dealing with addicts who live in horrible circumstances and apparently grew up in them, also.

Those of us who grew up in warm and loving families, even when we become active addicts, do not tend to end up homeless simply because we are surrounded by caring people who continue to do whatever they can to help us.

I propose the same argument with Stanton Peele when he states that alcoholism is simply not a disease (I don't care if it is one or not, that is not what I am arguing against) because so many college students drink abusively for most of their college years and then go on to sober up and not live alcoholically. He is mixing up abusive drinking with addiction, IMHO. Some 20-30% of the students who drank excessively in their college ages go on to continue doing so.

On the other hand, I truly believe my mom exhibits a very addictive personality, even though she didn't drink through her adulthood. Her brother was an alcoholic while she was a young girl and the horror she experienced from those days continued to haunt her throughout her life. I think it very possible that if she had ever started drinking regularly, she would have used it to deal with her anxiety and general feelings of angst.

But, due to her life's circumstances, my mom did not drink. She chain smoked and ate frozen miniature Snickers. She stayed thin because she seldom ate more than one meal a day but her health was never good because of the cigarettes and sugar.

So, my experience is that genetics does play a role in propensity but life circumstances also play a role.

All very anecdotal and of no value in the long run.

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cinders;1254380 wrote:
          All very anecdotal and of no value in the long run.
          I can't envision a scenario where real knowledge is of no value. It can be of limited value. I'm keeping that in mind.

Edited to add: I had a traumatic childhood wherein I and my siblings were physically hurt on a regular basis. I grew up afraid of being physically hurt and I feared for my siblings and my mother at one point. There was no way to escape emotional abuse since it was the norm in my household, and it came from both my parents. Compared to others' nightmare stories, I grew in utopia. I know that. I also know for a fact that I grew up in fear for my life. That's what I remember.

So. who was I before all that? Is that just "anecdotal" information that is of no value?
          Ginger

You are here:
          sigpic

Comment

I found the link to Dr Mate very interesting. I agree that it is an interesting hypothesis and probably more relevant to the people he works with.
            I have several relatives who were alcoholics on my mother's side. I did not have a happy childhood, but I don't think it was overly abusive either. Certainly nothing to compare with the stories others tell.
            I suspect there are many causes for substance abuse and I don't think waging war helps anyone. (Of course I am an aging hippie). I wish there was a universal cure but I suspect that any successful treatment must involve acceptance, care and nurturing. I try to use that for my own self help program.
            Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
            If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
            November 2, 2012

Comment

Wally22;1254448 wrote:
              I suspect there are many causes for substance abuse and I don't think waging war helps anyone. (Of course I am an aging hippie).
              There is no waging any kind of battle against anyone as far as the doctor is concerned. I'm not sure where that came from, but Pinker also isn't waging war. Me either.

I wish there was a universal cure but I suspect that any successful treatment must involve acceptance, care and nurturing.
              I think that's what the doctor is all about. I think that's what Pinker is all about. That's what I'm after too. People are coming at it from very different angles, but I think they are after the same thing. Understanding.
              Ginger

You are here:
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X