Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going into the weekend - need words of wisdom!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking towards the next 72 hours here is what I am starting to feel -- anxious - fearful, vulnerable, weak!

Can I talk myself out of it again tomorrow?In anticpation of "Thank God its Friday" followed closely by "Where are we going to dinner Saturday night?" rounding it up with "Super Bowl Sunday Party". I am already listing the excuses I can give for not partaking in the merry making of the weekend.

I want to be strong enough - but not feel so much like a stranger in my own life you know??? Because thats who I have decided to be to those who will soon begin to "get use to" the wife, sister, friend - who is the only girl in the room not enjoying herself with a glass of wine!! because I know how different my personality is when I am stone sober - I did it for a while (year plus 2006) my social life? none, but I was ok with it - for a time -

2008 I convinced myself I could manage it better because I had quit - and I understood how it worked - WRONG. I know I can't drink well (anymore) - and if I can't do it well - then...

Heres the real issue I think: I am always thinking about what everyone else thinks-about my behavior. This - is an excercise is how to handle a lot.

I need some good come backs for the questions I will be asked ------------ my impulse and instinct is to hibernate - not go out - be unsocialable. But that would imply a bigger deal - because I really am a social - people person -- sober and skunked.

help I need to find the middle.:thanks:

WS, you're facing the same issues we all dread....that programming that tells us we need to drink. I struggle with the same things, so I don't have any foolproof way to combat, but I just try to remember how horrible I'll feel the next day, how alcohol won't make anything better in the long run, and how starting over gets more difficult each time.........I think people admire others who don't drink and often secretly wish they could give it up. You'll have to relearn how to be social without alcohol............it's hard but doable. Many here have done it. Best of luck!!

Comment

Tell them that you bet somebody that you would stay sober through the Superbowl.

I'll betcha a smiley face!
      Ginger

You are here:
      sigpic

Comment

Hi Weezies Sister,

This is a common issue with all of us trying to quit with social commitments. What did you feel about the person or people at the last party you went to that were not drinking? Did you even care if they drank? For me, I've concluded I make more of an issue out of my not drinking at parties than others do. I just don't think most people care. I do quickly put some sort of non-alcoholic drink in my hand immediately upon arrival so I don't get the "what are you drinking" questions.
        2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Use some of the excuses we've all used: I'm detoxing, I have a tummy bug, I'm on antibiotics for an ear infection, I'm dieting and I don't want to waste my points on booze.....or think of something that your particular crowd will buy. Or you could just keep avoiding - eat eat eat. Keep your mouth full so that you can't answer!! Just smile and smile and smile....keep moving around if it's a big party. You could say "yeah, I'll get something in a minute."

And as has been said, most people really don't listen to what you say when they ask you a question. Don't answer if anyone says "what? you're not drinking?" Just ask them a question back. Say, "hey, have you lost weight?" Or "where did you get that great shirt?" That will stop all interest in your drinking habits.

This may sound silly, but think it all out before you get into these social situations. Don't be tired, don't be hungry, don't let yourself become angry that you can't drink, and make sure there is something else you can drink, or bring something you like to drink. And let us know how it went on Monday - even if you slip please let us know so we can all learn from your experience.
          Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
          (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Working...
          X