Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Study shows that addicts have abnormalities in the brain involved in self-control.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Study shows that addicts have abnormalities in the brain involved in self-control.

A study found that addicts have abnormalities in areas of the brain involved in self-control. These abnormalities appear to predate any drug abuse. The study involved identical twins where one was an addict and the other was not. The study also involved "normal" people with no history of addiction. Brain scans showed the same abnormal brain structure in both twins, one that did not exist in normal people. Twins had identical results in a test intended to measure self-control:

And sure enough, another experiment done by Ersche's team showed that both siblings took longer than a typical person to respond to a signal telling them to stop performing a task. In other words, they had less self-control.
    They really think that they've found something important about addiction being predetermined and brain-based. They also think that they'll find ideas for treatment and prevention in figuring out how the one twin managed to avoid addiction. That will be a separate study.

Articles regarding it are all over the news this morning. One is here:

Addicts' Brains May Be Wired At Birth For Less Self-Control : Shots - Health Blog : NPR
    Ginger

You are here:
    sigpic

I saw this on the news last night. They spoke to two sisters - one an addict, one not an addict - who both had the "impaired" brain function. What it didn't explain, and doesn't explain in this link, is why one ended up an addict and the other didn't.

From the article you posted: The finding also raises a big question about the siblings who aren't addicts: "How do they manage with an abnormal brain without taking drugs?"

That's the part that would be of more interest to me.
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Marshy;1255315 wrote:
      That's the part that would be of more interest to me.
      Me too! That's going to be the focus of the next study.
      Ginger

You are here:
      sigpic

Comment

Hi Ginger! I hadn't heard this news so am very interested in the article. (I'm searching for topics for some papers....this topic might become one!) I only scanned your link for now, but I noticed Nora Volkow's name. I really find her work interesting.

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
        X