I need some encouragement and motivation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am new at this so I hope someone reads this email and responds to it. I have tried various ways to cut down, but they have worked only for a few weeks. Then I lose my incentive. That's all I'll write for now in case no one gets this.

Aison

Hi Aison... it's great that you know that you need to ask for motivation to keep your incentive to stay AF. Tell us more about your situation, don't worry about no one being around... there always is. For me, admitting I had a problem was what brought me awareness about my problem controlling AL and realizing I just could not drink.

Even if you can remain a few weeks AF, that is better than drinking continuously. What kind of drinker are you? How have you cut down? That is great in itself... you are trying and that is an accomplishment itself!

I am a binger, mainly of vodka for the potency and ease of mixing but drank red wine on nights/days I tried to cut down (or both, a bottle of red and a smaller bottle of vodka to supplement the buzz. My last year of drinking heavily (without trying to quit) I wasn't even mixing and would chug the vodka from the bottle (shot glasses when I tried to be civilized... didn't last long). My longest period AF was about 85 days (Aug 6/11 to Oct 31/11) and then weeks of AF after with occasional attempts at moderation, just couple drinks a few nights. Finally though...by January this year I was back to a 5 day binges, calling in sick to work (not really sick, to drink!) and back anxious and regretful.
    Wow, that was more than I meant to say but helped to get out. Thank you for being there as well, it is so great to know we are not alone..

To keep motivated, remind yourself why you want to be AF and what you don't want about an AL filled life. For me, I have to tell myself I do not drink anymore; it has no place in a life I want to share with others. Keep trying, take it minute by minute, hour by hour and day by day when you need to. Keep posting and read lots of posts!

Comment

Posted this in your other thread alison.

Hi alison and welcome to MWO,We have here a great community with lots of good support & advice from people who can relate to everything one can go through in this fight against alcoholism/problem/abusive drinking, Read as many posts and thread as you can and ask any questions you may have,A good thread to start in is the newbies thread where you will get a great welcome also check out the tool box thread, Wishing you the best and hope to see you around the forum.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...est-30074.html

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hey Aison

Yep- a very familiar story! All addictions are hard to overcome and just when you think you've got it-BAM-a step or two back! Don't let that kill your motivation. I quit smoking and drinking the same day and that is hard x 2....But if I had a drink or a cigarette I would be right back in that drunken smoke-filled room in my head accomplishing nothing.
        All it takes is one. It sometimes takes a long time to get it but don't give up!

This place is a big part of my stopping. Lots of encouragement and no judgement here. Everyone has the exact same issue-alcohol addiction- and all are TRYING the best we can to take control of our lives.

The book Kick the Drink by Jason Vale is good-might hwlp you see that drinking is not a plus, a bonus, a reward, but a self-harming SOCIALLY ACCEPTED habit. Lots of us used to be envious of so-called "normal" drinkers, but guess what! No such thing. There is nothing normal about pouring poison down your throat. I know that I used to envy those peopl who could have 1 or 2 and walk away. I have come to accept the fact that this is not a possibilty for me or others addicted to alcohol. I never understood the concept-"ALCOHOL IS NOT WORKING FOR ME ANYMORE"--until that became true for me at the end.
        There was no fun there, there was just an obseesion to drink and drink some more and block out real feelings. Rather becomes like a job to maintain the pretense of just scooting through life having a good time and actually living in misery.

Sorry I'm on a bit of a roll this morning! Time to go out and do somethinf fun.
        Take care and stay strong! Keep coming here

Comment

aison;1255758 wrote: I am new at this so I hope someone reads this email and responds to it. I have tried various ways to cut down, but they have worked only for a few weeks. Then I lose my incentive. That's all I'll write for now in case no one gets this.

Aison
          :welcome: and hello Aison. What was your incentive? You need to find one that you will not lose obviously. Glad you're here and wishing you the right combination of tools to take your life back!
          Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

:welcome:Aison, welcome!

You have found a good place that can be of great help if you're serious about quitting drinking.

Here is a link to the Toolbox, which has lots of invaluable information...be sure to scroll through the pages because things get buried.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

I would suggest reading here as much as you can, and posting a lot. You can also spend time in the Newbie's Nest under Just Starting Out.......great for support.

Sending you peace and strength. :lilheart:

Comment

welcome.
              good to have your here..

caper
              caper
              AF since Sept 2013...
              :alf:

Comment

aison;1255758 wrote: I am new at this so I hope someone reads this email and responds to it. I have tried various ways to cut down, but they have worked only for a few weeks. Then I lose my incentive. That's all I'll write for now in case no one gets this.

Aison
                Oh I can assure you, this post will not fall on "blind eyes". This is a great board, with great information, and about as much hope, inspiration, and support as you will ever find anywhere.

Someone on here is at the same stage you are, or has been there, and can offer up some advice as to how they handled it. As we are all different, you probably wont take something from every post, but you will surely find some sort of advice you can use to accomplish your goals.

Come here often, post any comments, questions, or concerns you have, remember there is no dumb questions. Just come in and take what you need, and also leave any tips/advice you have.

Dont think you have nothing to offer because you are new, there is probably MANY people just like you in the exact same place, that may just read something you said, and it may just help them through their urge.

Welcome to the club.....now, get to posting.......LOL
                Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Working...
                X