Who needs a pep talk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who needs a pep talk?

I think I do!! I was in my kitchen just now drinking coffee and I started going thru the reasons in my mind of why I should not work out today. My knee hurts (sort of), I have so many things to do today, I'm meeting my trainer in the morning so I don't want to risk hurting my knee even more....
    I had just about talked myself into not working out until I looked out the window. There was an older man walking outside. I saw him about a half hour ago too - just walking.
    I thought -if he can get out there so can I!
    I don't have to kill myself at the gym. I don't have to outdo what I did yesterday or last week. I can stretch, and do situps and I can walk slowly on a treadmill. And won't that be better than not doing anything at all? Well, yes it will!

Ok- well, that was my pep talk. I'm going to go put on my gym clothes and get going.
    Hope you are having a great day today!
    Lisa

Who needs a pep talk?

wow, your peptalk just worked on me, thanks!
    It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
    James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Who needs a pep talk?

Ahhhh.... Lisa, isn't that the truth. Our minds like to make excuses when we aren't feeling all that motivated! I see so many people jogging by or walking by my home every morning -and here I am sitting there on my front step thinking along the same lines...

You definitely don't want to injure your knee any further, maybe a nice stroll would do you some good. At least it will keep you focused and you will feel good about doing something physical, even if it wasn't in the gym!

Comment

Who needs a pep talk?

Thanks Lisa... I'm gonna print out your pep talk !! I so needed that.

I'm off to work just now and no time to exercise today, but I have a friend coming over tomorrow for our weekly power walk together. I definitely do much better with a "buddy" to keep me accountable. (and, I don't think a cyber buddy would work... I need someone in my face!!)

take care, Olly

Comment

Who needs a pep talk?

Lisa,
          Loved your post. I see so many people out walking and find every excuse not exercise. Today is my third day at gym. Whewwww....... haven't worked in a very long time. But love the feeling when I am done.
          I love walking out of the gym, seeing people heading in & laugh to myself because I am done my 45 minutes and their just heading in..
          Abby

Comment

Who needs a pep talk?

Glad the pep talk helped...it helped me too. I had a pretty good workout today - and the knee is good. I took it easy on the treadmill and the abs machines.
            Abby....your comment made me laugh ...because I have thought the exact same thing!
            I have been working out in the mornings and I love leaving the gym at 6:15am thinking...DONE!
            My extra incentive when the alarm goes off at 4:30am!

Now I'm going to treat myself to a movie - popcorn with butter too (one of the main reasons I go to the movies)
            Lisa

Comment

Who needs a pep talk?

Hi Lisa,
              You'll have to work harder on me I'm afraid.Perhaps some dynamite under my ample arse will help.....lol
              I think my addictive voice has started telling me to sit on my bum and do nothing if I'm not going to feed it.
              I'll keep trying and reading all your post's and try to motivate myself....
              Victoria xxoxxo

Comment

Who needs a pep talk?

Hey Victoria, I'm with you, but even though I won't see instant results, I think that walking a bit and some pushups ( the girly kind ) and sit ups will mean something down the road, and today may help me think that I am doing something. So what if it is not a marathon??? we are depositing something in the bank of our fitness, and who knows?? tomorrow we may do another rep, and then another... :h Suz
                The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

Who needs a pep talk?

Good Morning- I love your positive thoughts Suz! Just a little helps. And hey Victoria, I know what you mean by just wanting to sit and not do anything - this quitting or cutting down on drinking kind of takes a lot of concentration and energy - it is definitely hard work!
                  I really understand that.
                  But just to share one thing with you if I could - I've been trying to cut back/quit drinking since June with moderate success. This time around ( I started 10/28) I quit drinking and started going to the gym at the same time. I don't know how much it has helped because I was pretty determined to quit drinking, but I have been able to stay af this time around.
                  I am not an athelete at all. I never was. But working out this time has brought me more than just toned up muscles...it has give me a feeling of accomplishment. It has made me feel like I am actually worth getting up in the morning and getting to the gym. I have tried thinking of it as something I am doing for me and not a dreaded workout. Now I feel more like I am cheating myself if I miss a workout instead of feeling like I'm getting away with something.
                  I think maybe that is how it relates to drinking ( just occurred to me). I feel more like drinking is cheating myself out of something instead of giving me something- like going to the gym gives me something rather than taking something away.

hmmmm....kinda deep for so early in the morning...maybe those endorphons really do work!!
                  Ah well...Hope everyone has a great day today. It is raining here and supposed to get cold- finally. I heard the weather has been awful further north and northwest- hope everyone is safe and warm.
                  Lisa

Comment

Who needs a pep talk?

Got up this morning and did a cardio tape after an AF night. So much easier to do it then! Listened to the clearing CD and am ready to do the whole program 100%. I do have to get some work done today because I screwed off so much yesterday because I went waaaaaaaaaaay overboard Sunday (go Bears).

It feels good to be back. It seems like exercise is the key - I don't know which comes first tho - the not drinking or the exercise - they are definitely connected.

Up and move it, all.

Comment

Working...
                    X