Your personal magic dosage amount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been slowly (25mg/week) titrating up the Topa and still continuing to drink way to many drinks each and every evening. I don't remember much after 8pm but rarely have a hangover. If I get a phone call, I can carry on a normal conversation with the person but obviously never remember talking to them. I am truly ashamed to admit how much I do drink. My understanding of how Topa works is that when you hit your magic specific dosage that is right for you, that you will lose the urge to drink. Is this true? How low has it been for any of you? Does it always have to be up around 300mg? I am so eager for this chemical will power to kick in!

addition to original post

I know I have valid Topamax as I got a US precription for it from a US Dr. and filled it at a US pharmacy.

Comment

I am taking topa, my doctor prescribed it for 25mg going up by 25mg every 3 days so at day 10 i start 100mg, if that doesnt work i wil go back and get a higher dose, keep in mind a lot of times the higher the dose the worse the side effects, for me it is all me right now, ia m taking my supps and keeping busy, i am on day 4 af so i dont really know if anything is working and today is day 2 of the topa and i dont notice a big difference yet, biggest thing is i am keeping busy till something clicks and also exercising and being accountable, i am just waiting for the mind game to end, reading helps, the drugs might be helping but i dont really know to be honest cuz i am taking all the supplements too, i guess i dont know what to tell you, but you will be able to better guage what works whe you try it AF then drinking, that is how i am assesing each day, and i am keeping a calenday of my craving levelwhich i will bring to my doctor, she didnt ask, but i came up with it. sort of my own clinical trial. Hope this helps, keep in mind i was like you, i have tried to quit or said i was gonna quit every day for quite a while then i decided to do my own clinical trial four days ago and havent turned back, it is not easy, but it is easier if you plan everything out/.
      It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
      James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

I was still drinking on 250mgs.

However, I didn't use any supps or cd's in conjucttion. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind either
        :h :h :h :h

Comment

I should say though.......I'm doing much better on my drinking now and I'm only taking supps.
          Maybe I'm in the right frame of mind now.....which is MODERATE or QUIT
          :h :h :h :h

Comment

I am on 75 mg of Topa the supp's and am starting to notice a difference. It takes a conscious effort to say no still however the pull is not as strong.
            Hope that helps some.
            "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Hi CW-- Topa decreases cravings, but there is still work involved. You can drink over the topa, as I have learned! You didn't mention what dosage you are taking, or whether you have found it easier to cut down on your drinking as the dosage has gone up.

What I found is that as my dosage increased up to about 75 mg, I found it much easier to drink less. I wasn't able to STOP drinking until 200 mg, and that still took work. I didn't have physical cravings, but I still had psychological cravings.

You can still talk yourself into a drink and all sorts of silliness. I know because I've done it all, even with the topa.

Don't get me wrong, the topa is a great tool, but it is not a magic answer. The more different parts of the program that you incorporate and the harder that you work at your sobriety, the better your chances at success!

I wish you all the best!

Kathy
              AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Working...
              X