Hello all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all

Hi Floyd, and welcome. You have come to the right place for lots of support, understanding and encouragement. Hang in there! We will be here for you!

edit: That's strange my reply ended up 1st???? hmmmmm?

Hello all

Hello all

Just thought I'd introduce myself, I?m from Southern UK am forty something and divorced. I?ve have always been a moderate social drinker up until last year, when I started drinking alone. And a lot. I think this was because of uncertainties and worries about my job. Anyway, I got fed up of waking up Monday having wasted a lonely weekend with just beer for company, feeling on the verge of a massive panic attack, that I managed to do 5 weeks AF.

Boy did I feel good. Everything was better, my health, outlook everything. Then came Christmas and what I thought for a few days, might be the start of a new relationship with a lovely sweet girl. Turns out she wasn?t too interested, I got drunk and probably destroyed what glimmer of hope there ever was and I fell off worse that ever!
    This Monday had to get an emergency appointment with a very understanding Doc, as I thought I was in danger of DT?s. I?m now on the reducing cycle of Librium which is keeping me calm, AF but very very drowsy. And more than a bit depressed.

Really struggling to see a way through this.

Any advice appreciated. Does the reducing cycle of Librium work as I?m reticent to just stop taking it completely.

Sorry for feeling sorry for myself!

Comment

Hello all

:welcome: Hi Floyd,

I'm sorry to read you are not feeling so good. Are you taking Lithium or Librium?

It's great that you managed 5 weeks AF! That just shows that you can go without the beers for a substantial time. It's a shame you fell off the wagon, but at least you know that you have done it before and that it felt GREAT.

Try and get yourself back to that place. You have already experienced the benefits, so use this site and give it another go!!

Take care.

Amelia
      Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Hello all

Librium

It's Chlordiazepoxide which it think is Librium!

Comment

Hello all

Stick with it - loads of help here

:thumbs: Floyd - you've hit the right place for help, absoloootly!!! Done the divorce, lonely weekends, massive bottles of wine thing - it stinks!! Everyone here will tell you the same thing - and of course, they are absolutely right - read the posts - maybe get the book, read about the MWO system and just go for it - what have you got to lose at the moment - things can only get better! Chin up, old mucker - loads of completely bonkers folks here - male and female! I bet you fit right in :H :H

Good luck, keep in touch, ask daft questions, etc., etc.

The Terror:h

Comment

Hello all

Encouragement

Thanks Tartanterror. I truly believe that kind words and encouragement are as stong a medicine as anything on the market!:thanks:

Comment

Hello all

Hi Floyd,

Welcome. It will get better. Sometimes it seems hard as can be and other times it seems I get better almost by osmosis by coming to this site. Don't be afraid to fight the cravings when they hit. Our pattern has been to satisfy the cravings with drink but willpower can go a long way and you can win the fight.

All the best to you and FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!! It is like a battle between lower self and higher self. Don't let your lower self win. You deserve to live from your higher self. The world needs all our higher selves.

Comment

Hello all

Hello again Floyd.

Just did a google on Librium, here's what it returned:

"Results of medication:

Symptomatic relief of mild anxiety and tension and for reduction of tension states that may accompany muscle spasm. As an adjunct in tension states associated with insomnia, pre and postoperative apprehension, tension headache, premenstrual tension and stress, and functional gastrointestinal, cardiovascular, gynecological, and dermatological disorders with an emotional overlay. May be useful in the alleviation of alcohol withdrawal syndromes, although drug dependence may result, substituting for alcohol dependence. May also reduce anxiety associated with psychosis, but is not a specific management of psychosis.
                I.V. chlordiazepoxide is indicated for the relief of acute agitation and hyperactivity (e.g., alcoholism, anxiety, hysterical and panic states, drug withdrawal symptoms) when rapid action is required or oral administration is not feasible."

I agree with Tartanterror, keep posting and visiting us here for support. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Amelia
                Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Hello all

Thanks AMELIA

Yesterday I took some because I needed to calm down and this morning I felt a bit nervy so I had a reduced dose. However I went for a decent swim lunch time and havent felt the need for more so I've not taken my second dose. Some reports say you should stick with the course but I don't not want to replace one dependancy with another. I'll play it by ear later.

I'm sure the depression is just self loathing for letting the demon booze allow me to say stupid things that scuppered whatever little chance I might have had with that nice girl!

Thanks to you and everyone for your kind comments. Can't say how much it means!

Comment

Hello all

Hey Floyd,

I have some kiwi (New Zealand friends over here in the UK) that refer to being severely hung over as having 'the fear'. These are friends that now and then have a blowout - they don't as far as I know have serious drinking problems. I can actually totally relate to this phrase . It describes the paranoia and physical stress that we feel from the withdrawel of alcohol the day after a day, week, or month, of heavy drinking. It is frightening and scary when we are still in that place. But you already know, deep down, what is best for you, because you have managed to achieve it for yourself already. A lot of days AF! Find the strength to go back there. We will be waiting with the applause.

Amelia
                    Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Hello all

Hi Floyd -

Every journey has a beginning. Start the alcohol-free days now and get going. These forums help a LOT, and they will always be a non-judgmental place whenever you need it.

Comment

Working...
                      X