Ingrained or not???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ingrained or not???

Posted on gen dis but i think this question would be more suited here. When does it happen that your brain clicks out of that "its time for alcohol " mode....whether it be a fri after finishing at the office for a wk or coming home after a really good work out or even whilst having a good old catch up with a friend on the phone....times like these and others automatically make me wanna reach for a drink. Is it ingrained in to us that much that we'll always have that initial reaction or does it go away with time....anyone on long term abs who can answer this would be much appreciated.

Lou-Lou x x

Ingrained or not???

mosts of the posts i have read even from the long term guys say it goes away to an extent but most of them will catch themselves thinking about it all of a sudden, i dont know what to tell you, i personally am going to assume it never goes away so if it doesnt i dont disapoint myself
    It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
    James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Ingrained or not???

Lou - I agree with newgrl. It never really goes away. You just have to be aware of your triggers and that pesky little voice in your head trying to coax you into drinking.

One thing I am noticing is the more I tell myself I cannot drink, the more I am wanting one. I think it might help if you tell yourself you can have that drink if you want to, but at this moment, you choose not to....

This is what I am finding helps me.

Comment

Ingrained or not???

Wise words accountable....sort of like when you go on a diet an cause you've denied yourself certain foods...all you wanna do is eat tonnes of them!!!!
        Tis a very good idea...if i say to myself "i can have 3...maybe three glasses of wine tonight" then maybe that will take away the urgency to drink!! hell it works with chocolate so i don't see why wont work with booze!!!

Thanks acc

love and best wishes

Lou-Lou x x x
        "Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around"...Penelope Cruz...Vanilla Sky

Comment

Ingrained or not???

I think it's also similar to the urge to smoke - something I haven't done for 20 years or so, but even now I still occasionally think I 'd like one and then I go "WHAT THA???? where did that come from??? I don't really want a smoke, it's just a little trigger setting off the memory and it plays tricks on me... do you think it may be the same for us??

I have a friend who's been sober for a year now and she says the only time she thinks about drinking now is when I'm talking to her about it. And she's done it cold turkey.
          It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Ingrained or not???

Accountable, You are right...Words are so powerful...As soon as you tell yourself I CAN'T HAVE A DRINK your mind and body feel they are being deprived of something and that is when that battle starts up again in your head, it's almost as if you are saying to yourself, yes, I would love a drink but I can't have one....As you say, change the words to I DON'T WANT A DRINK you may have to say it more then once, but it will work...

Louise.
            A F F L..
            Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Ingrained or not???

Lou - I know what you mean - I can feell like I don't want to drink at all - then 5 or 5:30 hits and it is like a switch flips on and a strong craving hits. It's like it doesn't build to give you time to start making alternative plans - I am also interested in other peoples' experiences.

Comment

Ingrained or not???

Mind Conversations

The conversations inside our minds seem to continue. I agree they seem to be less frequent as we progress in sobriety, but it sure helps to have a ready response, such as many have mentioned here before:
                • "It's not an option""
                  • " I choose not to drink""
                  " I don't drink anymore, ever"

Capto

Comment

Working...
                X