Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Boxing Ring...

The Boxing Ring.

OK, I have been doing battle with my opponent, ?drinking Neil? for almost 35 years now.

A new metaphor popped into my head, while reading another thread about AA.

Sober Neil was the only one in the ring for the first 16 years of life. Then one day, drinking Neil climbed through the ropes, and walked right up to me with a sucker punch. Knocked my ass out with a right hook, and I was down for the count of 5 or 6 years. In this match, only a TKO forever is the win.

Then sober Neil got back up, and took some rabbit punches at drinking Neil, and surprised him a bit. Drinking Neil did some fancy footwork, and a little dance, and BAM! On the floor again by way of a sneaky left jab. Out for count again, for many years.

Then a little wiser, sober Neil got back up, and sat in the corner for bit, while child Neil gave me some water, and a little styptic on the punch cuts. The bell rang again, and this time I remembered that I could do the footwork too. I made a little dance, and landed a barrage of 5 or 6 punches, all jabs to drinking Neil. He was staggered this time, but did not go down. Referee called time out, and back to the corners. Sober Neil got very confident, and the bell rang again.

This time drinking Neil spiraled in with a Muhammed Ali two-step, swished a lot of fake punches in the air, and then out of nowhere came a sucker punch, and I saw stars again.
    Out again, with little tweety birds circling my head. I went down, but crawled back to my feet after a count of 7. I reeled back to the corner, and little Neil, said I was still in the fight, and that I would have to get mean. I would have to pull the gloves off.

So I did. The bell rang again, and I slung the gloves off. This put the zap on drinking Neils head, and he sort of looked scared. I went in, spitting blood, and with rage in my heart, I pummeled drinking Neil with every last thing I knew. I was a little wiser this time, and concentrated on staring right into drinking Neils merciless eyes. Punch after punch I flailed out. Hooks, jabs, my own fakers, and I felt my bare knuckles bloody after opening up several wounds on drinking Neils face. This time no mercy. Drinking Neil hit me a few times, with some weak punches, but this time I was too mad. I kept on ramming my fists into his smart-ass face and torso. Even hit the dude with some bare knuckles kidney punches. Drinking Neils legs got real wobbly, and he went down on both. I had hoped for a TKO, but not until the bell rang again.

We both went to our corners, and drinking Neils eyes looked a bit googly, and I knew this time, I had hurt him bad. I sat down on my stool, and rested. I won that round. Little Neil is fixing me up, and I?m not taking my eyes off my opponent. Time to rest for a bit now.

The bell will ring again, and the fight goes on. I am Rocky.

Be well.

Neil

The Boxing Ring...

You will win Neil,

Your opponent is drunk - i mean, how well can you box when you're drunk?? Most likely he will burp, fart and scratch his crotch at the wrong time and not see you coming!

Give him the 'ol heave ho!

Flip
    It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

The Boxing Ring...

Another great post Neil.
      Thanks

Comment

The Boxing Ring...

Oh great , now you've got me humming the Rocky theme.....

Although I am not a fan of boxing, for this analogy I say "hit him (drinking Neil) where it hurts!!"

Olly

Comment

The Boxing Ring...

As I said yesterday.........Let's have D. Neil's funeral! I have a black dress to wear. Sounds like he is in bad shape! Way to go S.Neil and C.Neil!

:l Nancy
          "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

The Boxing Ring...

Neil, I fill a little like you - I getting ready to fit this sucker with everything I've got!

Going to the doc to talk about med options, ordered my CD's and have read the book, and plan on checking out an outpatient program at the local hospital. It's either me or him, and I don't plan on losing this time.
            Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

The Boxing Ring...

Okay, I may FIT him, too (for a bodybag), but think I will HIT him first....:H
              Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

The Boxing Ring...

hmmm, interesting. I used to beat up drinking Dilayne, but the more I did that, the more little Dilayne became confused, because drinking Dilayne is as much a part of 'us' as the 'responsible one'..we've come together recently and treating each part of ourself with gentle dignity and respect..it's interesting, it was when I began to integrate all the parts of myself, especially the shadow (drinker), the less I needed to drink or go unconscious...it all depends on what works, I think, and where we are in our life cycle...some of us need a kick in the ass and some of us need a big kiss on the cheek. Namaste!

Comment

The Boxing Ring...

My bet

I just called in a $100 bet to my bookie--I put my money on Sober Neil. My bookie told me that I was crazy because alcoholics have such a bad reputation of losing the fight. He gave me 1 in 100 odds...I am looking forward to my payout! The bookie just doesn't know the background on Neil like I do.

Reminds me of when I fired Drunk Kim for poor performance. She is still fired!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Comment

The Boxing Ring...

What can I say... I like it ...YO!
                    Control the Mind

Comment

The Boxing Ring...

I was reminded

I am reading a book about a guy that was in a horrible accident and his recovery from it. I stopped to jot a few things he said out of the book as I can apply them to myself.

Human nature has a tendency to try to reconstruct old ways and pick up where we left off. If we are smart we won't go back to the way things were (we can't anyways). We must forget the old standard and accept a new normal.

It is human nature to go back and select the happy memories. There will be things I will never be able to do again-I don't have to like it and I may even hate it, but it doesn't change the way things are. The sooner I can make peace with that fact and accept how things are, the sooner I will live in peace and enjoy my "new normal"

Kim

Comment

The Boxing Ring...

that is awesome discovery, i will kepp that in my mind on my journey!! I appreciate you sharing.

Victoria
                        It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
                        James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

The Boxing Ring...

Kim, that's so true! Thanks for sharing!
                          d

Comment

Working...
                          X