can I drink a week off antabuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been on antabuse a little over a month now and have been doing fairly well. I would however like to give myself a little drinking night tonight and get back on the drug afterwords. I purposely stopped taking the drug for a week now so this is not a spontaneous choice. Please do not lecture me on why this is wrong,etc. I am just wondering if a week off 125 mg of antabuse daily is long enough to drink this evening. Thanks in advance.:thanks:

Why would you want to drink? And would this be the only time? Its just your AL mind trying to fool you into thinking that you need one more drinking night. Trust me, you don't want to do it.

Trust me, there are days when my AL mind tries to fool me with the one last time thing. I just keep telling it no and that I had my goodbye party already. I am not guaranteed to be able to jump right back in the next day and its the same with you. Also what about the next month? Is the same thing going to happen? I wouldn't listen to my AL mind if this was me.
    I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

I honestly have no idea if it is ok. I dont really understand why you would ask us. If you are looking for permission I dont think anyone is going to tell you its ok. I wouldnt mess with it if I were you. Why would you want to dance with the devil?
      AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Dirty Birdy - It's really hard to tell if a week is enough time. You need to be very careful. I did the same thing as you and I got a terrible rash all over my face & chest. Heart beating fast, etc. I think that was after 6 days. It's certainly not anything that I want to experience again.
        Good luck.
        "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

No questions asked, no judgements, just my opinion: physically it should be fine after a week (if by a week you mean 7 days). Mentally though, you may be setting yourself up for a really hard comeback. I know everytime I drink I find it harder and harder to stop. I hope whatever you chose works out for you.
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Considering that I am in a mood, a smart ass mood, I would just say GO FOR IT!

If you are that determined to drink you are going to do it anyway. If you must pour poison down you throat go right ahead. I guess the reason I'm being so peckish about it is that a slip is one thing, where you don't have your head right, your defenses are down, and you SLIP. This is a different story-a PLAN, a long thought out intentional plan.

SO to me this means that the good that was happening with not drinking somehow was not good enough. Why waste $$ on the antabuse?

Comment

Personally I wouldn't do it. But if your that determined then go for it. Just don't whine about it when you have the hangover and wonder why you have to start all over. If you keep caving in, you will never get better. You need to be in it all the way to do it and if your going to drink, then your not going to get better. I wish you like and I do hope that you don't drink. Things will get easier with time when you DON'T DRINK! You may think its just one more time, but wat happens if you manage to get this far the next time? Your al mind will always try to get you to drink one last time. I still have those days but not very often and I am 38 weeks af.
              I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

DB - When I F*cked up and drank (Ann is right, it is NOT a slip when you plan it for a week!) I didn't feel the need to announce it to everyone or to ask permission. You know we care about you and don't want you to drink, so why are you trying to get us to say it's ok? If you need to know facts about Anabuse, go to WebMD or Drugs.com....don't ask a bunch of people that are trying to quit whether it's okay for you to drink. On the other hand, if you need advice on how to use the drug properly, I am more than happy to give you my experiences.

Comment

Dirty Bird - Hope that you are doing ok. I do understand. I have been on antabuse successfully before and I stopped taking it. I can pretend that I stopped taking it because I thought I was doing so well. But, I knew I wasn't 'cured' after 3 months. In the back of my mind, I knew I was going to drink eventually.
                  I am on antabuse again right now. I DO understand how you feel. I am trying to keep on it faithfully so that I don't make a plan to start up again. But, I am not going to pretend that I can swear I won't do exactly the same thing as you......... Skip it for a week so I can drink.
                  Many of us have been in that exact position.
                  Please do not be afraid to come here and post. This forum is to help people no matter what stage of the struggle they are in. And sometimes, it's not easy to swallow that little white pill. :h
                  "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                  AF - 7-27-15

Comment

DB -
                    How are you doing? Whatever happened, please just let us know you're ok! I just wanted you to know I was thinking of you.
                    K9

Comment

Working...
                    X