Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sadly I drank because thats all I knew..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was ingrained in my life from as far back as I remember. we all drank. I drank when i was a preteen to experiment. My first drink was a bottle of 10 penny beer from my grandparents fridge back in the 70's. i wanted to know what was the big deal. i thought it must be yummy or else why was everyone doing it.. it was horrible..

i drank again at 14/15, my BFF poured her grandmothers Sherry into a bottle, filled hers back up with water and away we went. we mixed that stuff with every thing we could think of .. and eventually got it down with grape pop. we were so drunk. puked all night long in her bedroom. to this day i have never drank Sherry.

At 16 i went to the local pub with a native indian friend of mine. she had jsut received her monthly govt cheque and asked me to go for lunch from school to the pub. Of course i went. it was 1981, noone asked me for ID. i drank many draft beer. went back to school drunk as you can imagine... my friends put me in a car and drove me home.. i puked all night..
    It just continued from there.. i drank to fit in, i drank to have sex, i drank to not feel anything... i drank and i drank and i drank... my friends drank, my family drank.

in my late teens it was parties.. in my 20's it was night clubs.. in my 30's it was with my hiusband in my 40's it was alone... but always drinking...

Its all i have known as far back as i can remember.. it was my constant companion, my reprieve from anxiety, my confidant, my nemesis, my partner. it was always there for me. It was there for me when my parents weren't, it was there to ease the guilt of a drunken night with strangers...it was there for abortions and miscarriages and neglect, it was there when we had no money but always enough for booze... it was there when my marriage was bad and my kids were stressful. it was there when i needed an extra something to help me relax and have sex wih my husband even when i didn't want to. it was there i found out from my aunt in a parking lot that my mothern had died 6 months previous and no one called me.

It was ALWAYS there no questions asked... its a whole new world to not drink for me. i have nothing to compare it to. Sobriety is alien. but i will conquer it. I have wasted SO much of my life living with this desease.
    I no longer want to be "oh Caper is coming over for dinner we better stock up on booze"

I'm not embarassed about quitting, i'm ok with telling the world i am trying to quit. My alcoholism was in hiding. MY quitting is out in the open, out of the closet..

I'm a quitter and i'm proud.
    caper
    AF since Sept 2013...
    :alf:

:wd:

You've summed it up beautifully. I love your strength and commitment... you've come a long way, baby
    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Caper, what a fantastic post. Thank you so much :lilheart:

Comment

Caper great post!!!!!!!

"I'm not embarassed about quitting"

I feel the same way. I was embarrassed about my drinking and what went along with it. Now that I am almost 11 months sober I don't feel ashamed to tell anyone I quit. In the very beginning I worried about what people would think of me if I said I quit drinking. I was scared they would think I was weak. Now with time under my belt I look back and think that was silly. I am strong for quitting, I was weak when I was drinking.

Today I may annoy people because I am so proud of who I have become and how much stronger of a person I am. The people around me only knew a weak, meak and quiet person who never wanted her secret to come out. Well now maybe I say it too much and too loudly but I AM SOBER and I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We work damn hard for Sobriety and don't ever be ashamed or embarrassed by that!
        AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

red67;1263424 wrote: Caper great post!!!!!!!

"I'm not embarassed about quitting"

I feel the same way. I was embarrassed about my drinking and what went along with it. Now that I am almost 11 months sober I don't feel ashamed to tell anyone I quit. In the very beginning I worried about what people would think of me if I said I quit drinking. I was scared they would think I was weak. Now with time under my belt I look back and think that was silly. I am strong for quitting, I was weak when I was drinking.

Today I may annoy people because I am so proud of who I have become and how much stronger of a person I am. The people around me only knew a weak, meak and quiet person who never wanted her secret to come out. Well now maybe I say it too much and too loudly but I AM SOBER and I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We work damn hard for Sobriety and don't ever be ashamed or embarrassed by that!
          I like this post a lot. I have been so ashamed to admit my problem and have hidden the facts under so many disguises. I will have to continue that in the face of parents and people who won't get it
          But I am proud to be a quitter, and to be sober too
          I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

Corrine you should be proud, we are 1 month away from 1 full year of sobriety. I know everyone is different and not everyone feels comfortable telling others about their personal stuff. I just needed to do it for me and i needed people around me to know so they would not pressure me into drinking. Now that i have some good time under my belt i kinda want people to know because i truly never worked harder and felt so proud of what i have accomplished and how far i have come. And i do have other alcoholics in my family i want them to see it can be done if you really want it bad enough. I was told by my counselor early on that i was a late stage alcoholic, i was pissed and thought he didnt know what he was talking about. I have a great job, my own home, no dui's and i thought i functioned pretty well. Once we went over each stage and what they meant i knew i didnt have to be a bum in the streets with nothing to be late stage. That and some other embarrassing stuff i did at the time fueled me to get sober. Yes who i was back then was a pitiful shell of a person. Not anymore. I guess thats why i want everyone to know i am doing this. I never want to go back there and i couldnt be prouder of myself today.
            AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Oh, Caper! You made me cry!
              All those reasons for drinking.... I really relate!

Good for you for being proud of quitting!
              Wish you the best.
              12-20-2012 AF
              Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

What a fantastic post i relate to this so much thank you and well done!!!!!
                Stella

Back to the beginning day 02 Jan 2013

Grateful for MWO :thanks:

Comment

Oh Caper, you scared the dickens out of me!!!! When I read the title I thought you had fallen off the wagon. Thank goodness. Whew! Great post!!!
                  Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
                  If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
                  November 2, 2012

Comment

Proud for you Caper - well done for posting, thank you for sharing and congratulations on a huge achievement!
                    I am glad to "know" you....
                    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Fine post from a fine gal. Canadian gal, eh. Seriously many of your thoughts resonated quite strongly with me too. Well done on your achievement and your willingness to candidly share your journey.:l
                      Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Great stuff Caper.

You have so much living to do!

Best wishes, G-bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

That is a beautiful post, Caper. Thank you for sharing it.

TDN
                          "One day at a time."

Comment

thank you all..
                            and no i haven't callen off the "wagon" LOL

caper
                            caper
                            AF since Sept 2013...
                            :alf:

Comment

That is a hell of a post, and a hell of a story! Mine is very similar. Very well expressed, and must have been difficult to write.

Your AF date is my birthday, so I will remember. Take care and good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X