Want To Belive.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want To Belive.....

I having been trying so hard to figure out my view on spirituality -- man it would be nice to be able to turn some of these problems over to someone else!

Growing up, I had a strong belief in God - but somewhere along the way I apparently lost that. I've been spending a lot of time reading about it (The Case For Christ, The Case For A Creator) and they all make powerful arguments - so why can't I just let go?

I truly do have a hard time believing that, out of the thousands of species on this world, humans were the only ones to evolve and develop a self-awareness and conscience. I also know that some of my arguments against religion can be explained - such as Creation in six days versus the dinosaurs (most would say that creation was an analogy).

Stupid brain - believes in the power of alcohol but not of God. Guess I'll just keep working on that....
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Want To Belive.....

Hello AAthlete
    Welcome to What we believe.

I understand your confusion as it has taken years for my faith to grow into more understanding.
    I have noticed that it grew much more at the times when I got to the end of me and what I could do. These are called "valleys". It seems that when we are on a "mountain top", we don't look or pay any attention to our spiritual side. Just human nature I think. I do think that it is also human nature to "want" to believe that there is more to our lives than what we can see and touch here on earth.
    Keep reading and searching and you will find what your are seeking.
    A newer version of the Bible might also shed light on it.
    xoxoxoNancy
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Want To Belive.....

AA, I am right on board with you. I used to be a very devout believer for many, many years. Then a lot of crap happened in my life and the lives of my parents. I just got fed up with trying to believe "everything happens for a reason" when one crappy thing happened after another. I am struggling to find my way back and it is hard. I have gotten very cynical as I have gotten older, and drinking too much I know pickles the logical thinking process. I wish us both the best on this journey. I used to be much more peaceful when I "knew" there was a God. Now I am consumed with anxiety and that leads to drinking more to squelch those feelings. Not a good cycle.
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Want To Belive.....

Watch this CNN story it will make you think...
        http://dynamic.cnn.com/apps/tp/video...26-%26-%26-%26

Control the Mind

Comment

Want To Belive.....

lush wrote: AA, I am right on board with you. I used to be a very devout believer for many, many years. Then a lot of crap happened in my life and the lives of my parents. I just got fed up with trying to believe "everything happens for a reason" when one crappy thing happened after another. I am struggling to find my way back and it is hard. I have gotten very cynical as I have gotten older, and drinking too much I know pickles the logical thinking process. I wish us both the best on this journey. I used to be much more peaceful when I "knew" there was a God. Now I am consumed with anxiety and that leads to drinking more to squelch those feelings. Not a good cycle.
          Lusch, I agree. It is very hard to continue on the road of faith when God keeps throwing terrible things at you. It makes you wonder why and then doubt.

I have had my faith knocked this year but I keep remembering one moment in my life. This is true-not fictional.

I was running in a mountain marathon. I was 33 years old. My running partner and I had chosen to go over the mountain while everyone else was running around the bottom. I reached the top of the hill first. It was completely shrouded in fog. By the time my partner arrived I was extemely cold. She was exhusted from the climb. We got out the compasses but could see a steep drop on the map. We were disorientated, cold, tired and really not thinking clearly at all. We could see absolutely nothing. Not even two steps in front of us. We walked a short way following the compass direction but were very lacking in confidence. I panicked and called to God to help us. Only a moment later, the fog rose for just long enough to see the drop in front of us and the path around to the edge. Immediately the fog dropped once again. We found the path and descended safely.
          Moments like that make me feel so weak for my moments of doubt and so guilty for being angry at him last year.
          Enough is enough

Comment

Want To Belive.....

Hi Lush, Waves, Rocky and all.......

It is hard when bad things happen to keep our faith strong. I think we have to remember that at the start of man's time on earth (Adam & Eve) there was no pain or suffering. Man messed that up for all of us.The good news is , God had another plan to get us out of the mess WE (man)created .

So what does He want from us?
            Relationship

He is very patient with us (me). I know He won't give up on me even though I have let Him down so many times.
            He's my Father. And Daddys don't just love their children every now and then.....

Just a thought......
            I'd love to hear more of yours....

Nancy

Comment

Want To Belive.....

Good topic! I've had a bit of a challenge 'reconciling' all of the 'belief' systems 'out there'...but I am beginning too..one thing that has helped me through all of my 'studies'...looking at Buddhism, Christianity, metaphysics...you name it, I've looked..what I'm learning is that it can't be understood..it's a mystery and surrendering to that constitutes faith..I also see that all religions have a language that tries to explain this mystery..it's usually in the form of a parable, a story, a myth..WHY? Because no language can explain the mystery, but people experience 'God' everyday. I think we get bogged down in the symbolism and the stories thinking that they 'are' the mystery, but they aren't..they are man's meager attempts at communicating universal truths. I embrace the deepest wisdom of all the great religions because if you look deeply into them all they tap into a single river of truth..and it is for each and everyone of us to 'seek' it within in ourselves, not 'out' there. I personally do believe in God, in the teachings of Jesus and the Buddah and many others..but we, as God's children..or God manifested in this world is what creates this world..and what we call 'bad', is often beyond our comprehension..it is the natural order of things caused by one thing after the other..we are co-creators in this world that we experience. On a personal level, as I've grown, I've seen my personal world change as a result of my surrendering to the way things are instead of resisting them, wanting them to be different...anyway, I'm rambling now. It's just where I am in my humble understanding and not-knowing.

Comment

Want To Belive.....

..I just re-read...I think what I want to say is that I've come to truly understand that God is within..and that we are SOOO important because it is through us that God manifest in this earthly world...where there is good and love, there is God, where there is hate, and fighting and hunger and starving, God has not been allowed in yet..it's us to us, one by one, to bring his love into our world...as we all become more conscious, more tapped into the God that dwells in our deep spacious beings, the world will change and reflect that. The very fact that so many people are here on this site trying to say no to alcohol and the things that keep that love from coming through is evidence of God to me...God is way more powerful than the alcohol..

Some people prefer to use another name besides God...and I think I do to..I just haven't decided what that would be because the name God has been so misused and misunderstood..unfortunately, so many people conjur up everything in their mind's that isn't God when they hear the word God that I don't thing those three letters are useful anymore. ...

Comment

Want To Belive.....

Hi everyone,
                  Have been reading your thoughts and felt I would like to share with you about a great book which you may find helpful. It is called "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren and addresses the issue of What on Earth am I here for.

It's not just for reading but asks interesting questions which it is helpful to write your answer down. It should be read over 40 days with just a chapter a day. They are not big chapters. The book costs about $15 Aust.

Just a couple of quotes out of the book - Long before you were conceived by your parents, you were conceived in the mind of God;I am your Creator. Your were in my care even before you were born (Isaiah 44:2a): Nothing matters more than knowing God's purposes for your life, and nothing can compensate for not knowing them.

Today is my 19th AF and I believe that God guided me to this site and all of you wonderful people who are on the same journey. Thank you and God Bless.
                  eace:

Comment

Want To Belive.....

Hey Diana, I have that book.

You also can go to the authors web site and get daily devotionals mailed to you.

Helps keep you mindful daily...
                    Control the Mind

Comment

Want To Belive.....

Rocky:

that story was amazing...thanx for sharing as I love to paint.
                      :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Want To Belive.....

Great video, Rocky. Thank you for sharing it.

Diana......I have also done a study of Purpose Driven Life. Really good book and their website is good also. Is it Saddleback Church? They have a program called Celebrate Recovery also. This is nation wide and perhaps world wide.

Di.......I know what you mean.........hard to put into words!

:h Nancy

Comment

Want To Belive.....

solutions

:hug: :hug:
                          hi all when i was drinking i believed i wasn't good enough for God but when I got sober AA taught me that everyone is. I could not give up drinking for 9 hours for 27 years and now with the help of Alcoholics Anonymous and God I have been sober for 9 years!! Hows that for simple. It is the easiest thing I have ever done - i have never even felt like a drink in all that time. I had a pretty up and down existance before I got sober and now I am always happy, joyous and free (AA quote) My advice to anyone who has a drinking problem - no pills, cd's etc just the alcoholics anonymous book outlining the 12 step program and faith that there is something bigger than you and get to a aa meeting! that's it - all the mind crap stops as well.
                          :h

Comment

Want To Belive.....

Hi again AA,
                            I just responded to your other post and now see this one. I'm just wondering, if you are no longer having a drinking problem and AA has worked it's magic on you, what's prompting you to join an alternative program that helps people with their drinking problem? One of the very basic principals of the MWO program is that not everyone can or wants to go the AA route... and this is a wonderful alternative. Sure, there are several folks here who also use AA... but no one is trying to convert anyone here to the AA path.

Olly

Comment

Want To Belive.....

Olly, I've been to several AA meetings and it just hasn't clicked for me yet. I'm going to keep trying, but in the meantime I'm trying to hit this from every angle that I can. My hope would be that eventually both programs will complement each other.

I'm just not willing to wait and around and keep drinking until it does click, and I like a lot of what MYO has to offer.
                              Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Working...
                              X