Almost there!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost there!

I'm just starting the program. I got the supps, the tapes, and the book. I have topamax on order.

I have been cutting back over the last week (now 2-3 drinks a day) and plan to go AF as soon as I get the topa maybe sooner.

So who knows I have a problem? My husband, of course, and my mother-in-law are probably the only one's that really have a clue. I come from a long line of let's-not-talk-about-it-ers. I am a pro at pretending everything is great while secretly dying inside.

I've suffered from depression most of my life, contemplated suicide, and alcohol has been a great, temporary, anti-depressant (depressant). I went to a psychologist for six months and did very well, quit drinking, lost 50lbs, then he pcs'd (military). Went to a new psychologist and after an hour of telling him the root of most of my depression (very personal) he told me he couldn't help me because I'm a military spouse not a soldier, why he couldn't tell me that to start off with, I haven't a clue, but it was extremely humiliating and depressing.

I think I hid in plain sight. Never hid bottles or anything like that, just bought the big vat (box) of wine and put it on the counter. I did become the quick change artist though, pulling out the new box while alone so it looked like the same box. More of the hide in plain sight mentality.

I don't think even my husband knows how much I was drinking. He was worried, and he knew I had wine (every night), but I don't think he could tell anymore when I had too much. I was starting at about 10am and going until 8pm and probably had about 15-20 drinks a day.

I married and divorced two abusive husbands by 22, then married again, started a family, and we are celebrating 15 years this Sunday.

I started drinking when stationed in Germany at 18 (legal drinking age), completely quit when pregnant with both my kids, then started up again shortly after each birth. Now it's 20 yrs later and I need a change.

I have no excuse now, a wonderful husband, two beautiful children, two grumpy dogs...who could ask for more.

Whew! I can't believe I said that out loud.

Almost there!

It is wonderful that you are here!!!! I look forward to reading more of your posts. Look around in the forums, they are full of advice and you will be amazed at how many people you can relate to. I wish you well.

Victoria
    It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
    James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Almost there!

Hi Isew!
      So glad you are here. I have found this to be a very helpful site with many wonderful people. Hope to read more from you soon. Until then, welcome!

-Kim

Comment

Almost there!

Welcome to the site.
        I am pretty new here too. It really helps to read and post.
        People have given me some really great advice.

Comment

Almost there!

Hello Isew
          It's good to have you join us. This is a great place.

Comment

Almost there!

Hi Isew,
            Doesn't it feel nice to have a safe place to just let it all off your chest. Keep coming back and talking and asking questions here. Welcome
            NP
            "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Almost there!

Welcome and keep us informed how things are going.

Lot's of support here, visit often!
              Control the Mind

Comment

Almost there!

Hi ISEW!
                WELCOME! Glad you found us.
                :wavin:
                :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Almost there!

Welcome, Isew! Thanks for sharing your story. I'm just starting out, too. Been carrying the book around with me for several several days. Actually started topa about a week ago (told my doc it was for my migraines....I'm supposed to go in for an actual appointment w/ her soon and I'll tell her the truth then), and I just finished putting my supplements in little baggies for throughout the day, and have my powdered vitamin drink waiting for me in the a.m. AND.....this evening actually went the entire evening w/out a drink! Didn't even want one.....so something must be working, cause I am the queen of sneaking drinks regardless of what's going on. We have a lovely well-stocked wet bar in our house, but I still keep a bottle hidden frequently b/c I'm embarrassed by how fast the economy size bottles of gin empy----and I'm the only one drinking it! Anyway.....isn't amazing how we high-functioning "problem drinkers" manage to have all other areas of our lives under control, but eventually this one starts to spill its poison over into other areas. I'm so very, very grateful for Jewell and this site, and the others who are willing to share their stories and offer support!
                  I'd love to make this journey with you! I'm eager for my c.d's to arrive. Have you listened to yours yet? Let's keep in touch...I have a feeling that we have a lot in common...such as a promising new life of sobriety! HUGS! Sami

Comment

Almost there!

:welcome: Isew and Sami,

You are amoung friends here!
                    Are you going to try abs first as the book suggests?
                    If you are , you will find much support over in monthly abs or long term if that is your goal.
                    Mods is great for support too, just not an option for me personally. The people there are great though and fun!

Good to have you here......

Come on ....lets shed those ugly sweats!!!!

:h Nancy

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp...p=ZSYYYYYYJGUS
                    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Almost there!

Thank you all for your kind responses.

I have been trying to cut back and I'm finding it very difficult. I have cut down a lot, but the last couple days I feel the old anxieties creeping back in, and I've slipped. I was planning on going AF by now, but even with the cd's and supps I am struggling. I listen to the sleep cd every night, but can't seem to find the 1-1 1/2 hours to set aside during the day, quiet time is something that is in short supply.

I'm really hoping the Topamax will give me the last boost I need.

We just got a treadmill so I am going to start exercising as well. Also started WW to help keep me motivated.

Comment

Almost there!

Hi Isew, and welcome!

I can relate to the big boxes of wine - I switched from bottles because I hated seeing all of them in the recycling bin - the boxes made it look like I was drinking less. I was good at the quick box switch too!

I think you'll find this to be a great place, and possibly as important as the supps, meds, and CDs. There's lots of support when you need it. I wouldn't worry about not being AF yet - this is a big change and it can take time. Focus on what you've accomplished, and not the small blips along the way.

Good luck

pixie
                        AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

Almost there!

Welcome!

Hi Isew, and welcome... your story sounds so familiar and similar to me. I used to do the wine boxes too. Welcome to this site, and keep coming back, there are amazing people here with alot to offer in the way of support. :h Suz
                          The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

Working...
                          X