Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allen Carr's books

Hi guys,

does anyone know if there is any real difference between Allen Carr's teh easy way to control drinking and the easy way to stop drinking. I know "contol" came out first, is that the only real difference?

thanks

Allen Carr's books

i dont know, i read the stop drinking book.
    It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
    James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Allen Carr's books

Is / Are they helpful?
      Control the Mind

Comment

Allen Carr's books

i didnt agree with all of what he said, but in day 1-3 is when i read the book the easy way to stop drinking and it really helped me get through.
        It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
        James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Allen Carr's books

Rebekah

I read Allen Carr's Easyway to control drinking. The book explains alcoholism using the example of a pitcher plant. It moves on to explain that all the reasons we give for drinking are actually excuses.

The title is actually misleading, but this is done deliberately as Carr explains. Alcohol is poison and there is no need for the occasional indulgence of poison. So basically in the chapter "Quit or cut down", Carr's is simply saying quit.

Comment

Allen Carr's books

Rocky

I found the book like a breath of fresh air. Especially the excuses not reason part of it.

However, I did find that the author drifted off slightly and according to him there is no such thing as moderate drinking. (Alcohol = poison).

Even though Carr's advises you not to attempt to quit or cut down until you read the book, I found that I didn't want a drink anyway after the first few chapters.

Comment

Allen Carr's books

me too, i quit the day i started it.
              James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Allen Carr's books

thanks guys I've just bough teh "control" one for my boyfriend hoping to give him a nudge in the right direction. I know he's still got not just admit he has a problem (which he is completely aware of) but want to get better but if I could just get him to read it hopefully he will start to see that life without alcohol can be good too, reality is not so boring or scarey. Why is it that people can be so scared of not only failure but success. He says that while he's a drunk then it can always be blamed on the alcohol and that the first step to failure is trying. Sorry this isn't the thread for this I kow its just that I'm about at breaking point today.

Comment

Allen Carr's books

I'm going to get the book today, I hope I can find it at Borders...
                  thanks for the recommendation. I need something now and am avoiding the topamax..If I don't turn this corner by mid week, I'll have to go back on it.

Comment

Allen Carr's books

On a sad note guys, allen died not so long ago of lung cancer, after all those years of quitting and helping millions of others

Comment

Allen Carr's books

I must say after 5 years of trying to moderate and quit, Allan Carr's book helped me to quit immediately. First I read his little book, NO MORE HANGOVERS, and found it good reading, but I was still drinking. Then I read his book, HOW TO CONTROL DRINKING, THE EASYWAY, and it had an incrediable effect on me. I know someone who just read his book HOW TO QUIT SMOKING, THE EASYWAY, and after being a smoker for 40 yrs, she quit upon finishing the book. I highly recommend his book. It sure can't hurt, and is an interesting read. Good Luck
                      Meow-Meow
                      MonaKitty

Comment

Allen Carr's books

I didn't agree with everything in this book, but found it had a hugely positive impact on me nevertheless (Easyway to Stop Drinking).

Comment

Allen Carr's books

Sorry guys,

I know I've bumped this and this is generally bad etiquette... but I was specifically looking for comments on Allen Carr's books and wanted to make this comment (see last paragraph).

Oh wow brightfield... I had no idea,

I saw a documentary he was in just a few weeks ago on TV (but that was about smoking, not drinking).

I posted this because about a week ago I decided I wanted to buy his book on how to quit drinking (or "control" - but I'd read here they were the same thing). I went to all of the bookshops in Sydney, and could not find a copy anywhere. All I could find were rows and rows of the Stop Smoking book. Does anyone have any ideas why the Stop Drinking book would be out of circulation?

Gem x
                          Free since 26th February 2012

Comment

Allen Carr's books

Hi Gem,

You can still get it from amazon.com. I did and it is fantastic. I should read it daily.

Comment

Allen Carr's books

I just wanted to post on this book again.

I read it ages ago, and it continues to have an impact on me, every day.

I know he says alcohol is a poison. and the book is focused on abstinence.

but there is sooo much of value here.

Comment

Working...
                              X