• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purpouse Driven Life

Devotion for the day from "Purpose Driven Life"

Getting close to God
    by John Fischer

?Draw close to God, and God will draw close to you.? (James 4:8 NLT)

It?s been this way since time began. God set it up so we would seek him, and he would respond to us when we did. Is he playing hard to get? Well, he may be, only inasmuch as he wants a relationship with someone who wants one with him, and the way you show that you do is by seeking him. God will not force himself on anyone.

This is an incredible privilege he has given his creation, when you think of it. God joins in the give and take of a relationship with us! That means that if you don?t get close to God, well ? you don?t get close to God. In other words, he gives us the integrity of making the first move.

I think this is what was meant in that strange passage in Matthew 6:7-8 when Jesus warns us not to give what is sacred to dogs and not to give pearls to pigs. God doesn?t reveal himself to those who aren?t interested in a relationship with him. And it?s no indictment on them; they simply wouldn?t get it. Dogs don?t know what is sacred. Pigs have no use for pearls. Their only value is what they can eat, so the real value of pearls would be wasted on a pig.

The truth about God is wasted on someone who is not interested in knowing him, so he doesn?t draw near to that person. He draws near to those who come to him. But believe me, once you show any indication of interest, he?s right there.

Actually, we all need God and we all know it. Even those who deny God and run the other way are desperately seeking him from some empty place inside. We just don?t all want to admit it.

But for those who do, God is all over any attempt on our part to get close to him. It makes no difference how you do this. There is no right or wrong way to seek God. You just seek him, and you keep on seeking him. There?s no end to this because there?s no end to God. There?s always more of him to discover and experience. Worship is never static. It keeps opening up more and more of God to us as we worship him and live our lives out according to his purposes.

John Fischer resides in Southern California with his wife, Marti and son, Chandler. They also have two adult children, Christopher and Anne. John is a published author and popular speaker.

Click HERE for a free subscription to The Purpose Driven Life Daily Devotional, your daily inspiration via email.

Click HERE for a free subscription to The Better Life, your spiritual growth e-newsletter with articles by Rick Warren and others. To see a sample click HERE.

Click HERE for information on Mobile Devotionals sent to your cell phone
    ($3.99 a month).
    Control the Mind

Purpouse Driven Life

:thanks: Rocky.
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Purpouse Driven Life

You sound very spiritual Rocky... how are you coming along with your game plan anyway? Have you bought those ear plugs yet??? LOL

Comment

Purpouse Driven Life

Accountable...No I have not.. ear plugs that is

Money is very tight which is preventing me from starting with the sups, CD,s and Topa

I know I need to get going on it. Yesterday when I got up, my wife was mad at me for something I said the night before, I think in regards to the inlaws, but I coud not remember what I did or said.

So I just drag on
        Control the Mind

Comment

Purpouse Driven Life

Well, look at the positive........ you are here, you are reading and posting.

I have said a many of things to my hubby while drinking too. I know what you probably are feeling right now.

You know, I never did the supplements or the topa. I take a multi vitamin and omega 3-6-9 which are dirt cheap at Wal-Mart!! Just to give you some optimism here. I am not saying you don't need the MWO package, but wanted to let you know there are other things you can do until you save the moola! Or even wean yourself off....... like set limits on a daily basis until you achieve your first AF day. Hey - you did quit smoking a while back didn't you? You obviously have the will.

You have a good heart, and great spirit from what I can tell. I know you have it in you to do this!!

Comment

Purpouse Driven Life

That's a great tip. I may just go through the sups that help with addiction and try to purchase those and start trying to ease off.

Thanks for the advise accountable!
            Control the Mind

Comment

Working...
            X