Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many use Meds?

Hi Long Termers,

How many of you who have had long term success used medications such as Topamax, and especially Campral to help control your cravings?

Did any of you decide later you could handle abstinence without these initial aids?

I've been successful with Campral so far (50 days now), but I'm wondering when and IF I should EVER think about tapering off.

What have been your experiences?

Capto

How many use Meds?

Mornin' Capto...I started off using baclofen, but felt sooooo tired on it I decided to switch to campral after Lucky ducks one woman crusade for this med!!! However, it takes a while to come off baclofen, as you reduce the dose very slowly, and while I was reducing (I started dropping the dose at about 25 days Abs) I noticed that my cravings went up a little for the first few days, but then stabilised so presume they were mental rather than physical. I therefore decided not to use anything, and have been med free for 5 days now and feel great!
    I'm not sure how long the mental bit lasts, but I think my bac saw me through most of that time, and now I feel it's up to me to use my own gumption with regard to triggers etc...I have the 'not going to drink' mindset well in place now, and don't feel as though I need any thing else but this.....
    Everyones different, but i feel the mindset thing is what is REALLY gonna see me along the way and I prefer to have fewer chemicals in my body.....Have a good day!

Melonhead

Comment

How many use Meds?

Hi Capto,

Well I didn't take any meds at all.... The main thing for me for about three months, apart from will power, was Kudzu...For about the first 5 weeks or so I was taking it 3 times a day, then I gradually reduced it to once a day...After another 3 weeks I stopped taking it altogether, but about three weeks later the cravings returned so I started the Kudzu again and they went.... Now I don't take it anymore, but I do still take the Amino Acids, Multi Vits and L-Glutamine....But I keep the Kudzu handy just in case....
      A F F L..
      Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

How many use Meds?

I've been sober this time around with the assistance of Topamax. I've been amazed at its power to reduce cravings for alcohol.

When I first started taking it I didn't really notice a difference. But as I increased my dosage, I could tell a difference every time I titrated up. It seemed that at 200 mg, a light switch went off in my head, and I could suddenly just say no to alcohol without the internal battle that I was used to having, sometimes for hours at a time. It changed to just a passing thought. (I'll clarify that physical cravings went away. Psychological cravings did not. They still come, but they are easier to put aside. And it's easier for me to focus on my recovery strategies if I'm not overcome by the yearning for alcohol like I was in the past.)

I've talked to my doctor and my hypnotherapist (who is a recovered alcoholic of 31 years) about when I should start to get off the topa. Both of them recommend that I stay on it for one year before starting to taper off it, so that I have a good set of recovery tools and a stable lifestyle before I withdraw the medication.

And I agree with Kate wholeheartedly: there is no shame in doing this with a medication. Saying that there is is like saying there is shame in treating depression with an anti-depressant medication. Some people can overcome depression with exercise and therapy; others need medication as well. You do what you need to do to treat your condition.
        "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

How many use Meds?

I agree with Mike, we use the tools which suit us best, I know I said I didn't use any meds but that was because when I asked my doc for Topa back at the start of this he just refused...I was going to order over the internet but was worried about safety factor of drug, then I seemed to be doing ok on Kudzu and other supps, if I hadn't been able to manage without meds though then I most certainly would have taken some....
          A F F L..
          Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

How many use Meds?

Hi everyone. I've been posting now and again here. I'm now 22 days AF - but I've been here before! I need to be careful. I've been taking supps. can anyone help? Where can I get 'good quality' kudzu in the UK, please? Does H&B do it? Thanks a lot Tylyr

Comment

How many use Meds?

Hi tylyr,

Congratulations on your 22 days AF....

I buy Kudzu from a chinese herbalist in town...I think their shops are nationwide...They sell it in the dried root form and 100grms cost ?5.00.
              I put 3 pieces, each measuring about 2 inches x 2 inches into a large mug, cover with boiling water and leave for at least 15 mins before drinking... You can drink it cold as well, I used to take some to work to drink during my lunch break and it killed the craving for a bottle of wine after work cold stone dead

It is becoming more widely known in the UK now though because I saw a programme on TV last week called....You Are What You Eat....in it a man who was drinking well over the recommended levels was given Kudzu to drink about 3 times a day and it worked for him, so there will probably be a stampede to buy the stuff now...

Hope that helped..

Louise.
              A F F L..
              Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

How many use Meds?

Melonhead, Kate, Irishlady, and Mike, thank you for your responses.

I think I will respect my enemy by sticking with what works for me. I have certainly learned what does not work: trying to do it alone without assistance. Like Kate, Campral has been indispensable for me, once I made up my mind to abstain

Comment

How many use Meds?

Hey Tylr,

Also, if you're having a hard time finding kudzu, you can order it through this website. Just click on the "Health Store" tab at the top of the page. I'm pretty sure they will ship to the U.K. The kudzu root powder is high quality and the dosage matches what was used in the study that showed results in reducing alcohol cravings. (No, I'm not on the MWO payroll; I just had trouble finding it locally so I ordered it through the website.)

And you, Louise, are living proof that the most important factor in recovery is determination. I really admire your will and fortitude. Thanks for sharing yours with us here.

And Capto: a short while back I was beginning to get tired of taking the Topamax and thought maybe I should get off it. That's when I asked my doc and therapist about it... my doc's opinion was that it's not hurting me and seems to be helping, so why stop. My therapist said not to change ANYTHING so soon. He said recovery isn't considered to be "stable" until 2 years... Now I think that probably does vary from person to person but I see what he means. It takes a while to get your life set up in such a way that alcohol just won't fit back into it again. Anyway, taking the meds (or not) is a personal choice, and I think we will all know when the time is right to make a change. At least we know what *doesn't* work!

Mike
                  "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

How many use Meds?

I ordered it through the website too and it was here in less than a week, i really like it.
                    It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
                    James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

How many use Meds?

Thanks IrishLady and Mike. I'll try one of the chinese herbalists. everything going well at the moment, when I read about others I 1.Am in awe of some people, how they are so strong etc,etc and 2. Consider that I am 'lucky' in a way not to have been drinking all the time - yet. But I still need to stop. I do fear though, that there'll come a situation when I won't be able to control myself and say 'No'. I suppose it's just getting ready for that situation. Thanks for all the support. Tylyr

Comment

How many use Meds?

Hi Tylyr,
                        I used the topamax for the first 30 days..then dabbled with moderation for a short period of time without it and decided that I was ready to go Abs. I found that I really only needed the meds if I wanted to try to drink..because I once I give myself the OK to drink, I just always ended up bingeing after a while..if it's out of sight and I just say no, I didn't need the topamax anymore. I've done 3 months now Abs, but have gone many many years Abs w/o any meds before.

Comment

How many use Meds?

Tylyer..I should say that I knew I was going to have to make a choice between mods and topamax or total abstinence because as well as the topamax worked, I never felt well while using it..once I felt I was on solid ground to my 'no back door commitment', I went off of it. No problems at all since.
                          d

Comment

How many use Meds?

Thanks dilayne. I've tried moderation before, but kept sliding back. It's a mind thing I think! You have to get over the idea that you're missing something by not drinking. I'm still doing well - my opinion - still, another weekend coming up, so have to keep at it. Not saying yes to the first one is the difficult bit! best of luck to us all - Tylyr

Comment

Working...
                            X