Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOPAMAX - Please advise

HI everyone

I have been watching this site for over a year now and this is the first time I have attempted to move forward with this program. I am getting ready to start Topamax that has been prescribed to me by a new psychiatrist I just saw. Due to the side effects I have read about, I am very scared to start and I guess I am just looking for a little reassurance! Can anyone help me out with telling me what their side effects were, and if they went away after a period of time, was it worth it, etc etc?

Thanks a million in advance!
    :new:

TOPAMAX - Please advise

I have been on it for two week, uo to 75mg now, I have had zero side effects with the exception of the carbonated beverages thing(but i was told it happens to everyone taking topa, yout cant taste carbonated beverages the same) otherwise i have no other side effect. People on here have told me two things about topa that have effected them;

1- going up in dose too quickly can inhance side effects
    2-the higher the dose, the stronger the side effects

Keep in mind, side effects vary with EVERY person, I was scared out of my mind when i started taking the topa, so i talked to my doctor, she assured me people all over the world take it for various reasons and in various doses and it is perfectly safe. If you do have side effects tell your doctor immediately and they will be able to adjust your dose or suggest an alternate medicine, so far I am enjoying the topamax.

I hope this Helps

Victoria
    It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
    James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

TOPAMAX - Please advise

Thank you this does help

Comment

TOPAMAX - Please advise

Soda tasted like metal-but that went away. I also got tingling in my toes (wasn't that annoying). Oh & the biggy was trying to recall a word or name even though it's on the tip of your tongue! That was it for me.
        :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

TOPAMAX - Please advise

I've been taking it since November, am now at 175 mg and holding. For side effects I had a little mental fogginess early on which has pretty much gone away and I have some tingly toes and fingers now but that's it. Unfortunately the weight loss side effect has not kicked in yet, still hoping for that one.

Comment

TOPAMAX - Please advise

I had all those side effects but have now made it past 7 months AF. As for the mental foggieness and word recall I would have to add studdering to that. I just said to people that I was born with a speech impairment that I have much improvement with and moved on. No biggie. Well worth the no beer craving exchange.
            Gabby :flower:

Comment

TOPAMAX - Please advise

Was up to 200 but backed down to 100 and now can barely tolerate the taste of beer. No problem with scotch, tho :upset: .

200 left me very foggy and depressed (??). 100 is more bearable, and I have to fight the cravings a little harder. However, the CDs are really helping that. I am probably stay here for awhile to see how it goes.

Barb

Comment

TOPAMAX - Please advise

I've been struck with what I believe is a slightly unusual side-effect - diarrhoea. Very annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Comment

TOPAMAX - Please advise

Nope, not got that one but have the rest.

1) Metallic taste (not gone away) but bareable
                  2) Tingling toes - I quite like it ! maybe I'm weird
                  3) at 50mg I got really stroppy, at 75mg I couldn't string a sentence togther, work, drive anywhere or cook dinner, so I'm back down to 25mg, but as I can still feel the tingling I guess they're still working! Definately have a MUCH reduced craving for alcohol though, but I AM doing all the aspects of the program, the supps, the CDS and the excercise.

Don't worry, if you feel anything out of the ordinary, either speak to your Doctor or ask anyone here.
                  Pebbles

Comment

TOPAMAX - Please advise

Hey Pebbles....I liked the "tingling" as well. I thought I was weird too. :H

Maggie

Comment

TOPAMAX - Please advise

Thank Goodness for that Maggie,
                      There are days when I wonder if I'm completely bonkers, now I know I'm not the only one!! :lol3:

Pebbles

Comment

Working...
                      X