Topa Longterm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topa Longterm

I went to my Psychiatrist today for a follow up on my Topa treatment. I am currently at 75mg and due to go up to 100mg this Saturday, increasing 25mg each week, target 200 mg/day. I have told him about MWO and he thinks it's a great thing to be involved with. His one criticism is that GABA orally can never make it to the brain intact to accomplish anything positive. I told him that that my friends from the board said that there was a threshold around 175-200 mg of Topa where a switch was tripped that made you not want another drink. He said that he had read that too in a study. I told him that my goal was to make a 12 pack of beer last for 5-6 days. I then asked if I did achieve my goal at 200mg, would I have to take Topa for the rest of my life. He said there was no long range studies on this even on it's usage for migranes. Can any of you shed some light on this?

Topa Longterm

I didn't mean to post this serious question with a thumb down symbol. Without my glasses on, it looked like a question mark!!!! So please try to provide an answer. Many thanks!

Comment

Topa Longterm

I can't tell you about the long term results. I took topa for 2 weeks as it was prescribed, and had very adverse affects. It had lowered my heat rate. my pluse rate was in the 50-60bpm after 1 hr of running. Also it alter my menstral cycle. Plus I felt the effect was an out of body experience. Weird. Plus I read large amounts of kudzu can promote tumor growth. I am just starting out. Trying different things. I am trying to become a moderate drinker also. Good luck to you on your search.

Comment

Topa Longterm

Thoughts

Hi there. Some feedback:

* GABA supplementation can be helpful in easing stress, anxiety, addiction, mood problems and more. While true, GABA does not easily cross the blood brain barrier, this popular amino acid has helped millions who report improved health. It may take several weeks to note its effect. I recommend Dr. Billie Jay Sahley's short read: "GABA, the Anxiety Amino Acid".

* Topamax threshold may be different for individuals depending on a many factors. Some patients report a 100 mg dose is adequate to curb cravings; other require a titration to full 300.

* A number of long term Topamax (topiramate) studies have, in fact, been conducted. If you want to learn more, search online and look to research regarding the medication's use as an anticonvulsant. That's how it was introduced over a decade ago. Some long term studies within the epilepsy community indicate patients quit taking Topamax after an extended period due to mental slowing or moodiness. These side effects go away after discontinued use and they don't affect everyone.

* Adverse affects such overheating, hyperventilating, excessive sweating, etc. should be reported to your health care provider immediately if you take Topamax. They may be a result of an electrolyte imbalance, a known side effect, and generally occurs early in treatment.

* Kudzu contains daidzein, an isoflavone which has actually been shown to inhibit the growth of cancer cells. On a cellular level it also acts as an antioxidant.

Hope you find this helpful. Best to you both as you get started. :-)

RJ
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Comment

Topa Longterm

Thank You for your reply

Thank you for your reply Roberta! I have had no real side effects so far at 125 mg. I am looking forward to my lack of craving for alcohol and to reclaiming my life. Also, Thank you for changing my board name so quickly!
          Bill

Comment

Topa Longterm

i've taken topamax about 3mo. up to 200mg. with no problems so far

Comment

Topa Longterm

I have been taking 50 mg/day and am going to start taking 75 mg/day. I find that even this amount has curbed my craving. It is great!
              Will I have to take this for the rest of my life?
              I still have a funny feeling in my arms (not as bad as before) and my tongue always feel as though it is burnt. (wierd I know) A small price to pay to stay in control of my drinking....
              Yippee!
              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Topa Longterm

Talked to the nuerologist, she said topa has proven effective at 25mg, and she highly recommends it, she also said if you have tingling or funny feeling in hands feet or limbs you need to get dosage lowered, but that most people see positive results from low dosages. Just wanted to share, found it interesting.
                It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
                James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Topa Longterm

for me 50mg works well and kills the cravings but there still seems to be a mental game.its like i will have a thot about buying something to drink but i just think about alcohol being involved in most of the negative things in my life and my resolution over rides the mental urge to drink.determination is still needed.

Comment

Topa Longterm

Hi All, I'm only on 25 x2/day. plus kudzu 1 pill 2x/day, plus aminos + vits. I'm successful for 2 weeks in moderation for the first time in probably 15 years. Seriously. A month ago I was absolutely hopeless. I've lost about 4-5 pounds just from this, plus walking a few times a week, in 2-3 weeks. This book/program has probably saved my life, plus my rosacea is significantly better, I no longer look like I'm a red balloon about to pop.

Comment

Working...
                    X