Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My name is Dori. I'm a 46 year old married, mother of 3 and I'm certain I'm an alcoholic. I saw this (My Way Out) article in the paper I read every day going to work and thought it was speaking directly to me. I abuse alcohol on a weekly basis and have done so on and off my whole adult life. The only time I didn't drink was for 10 years when I was having my children. I usually drink on a weekend night and once I start, I usually don't stop until I am completely smashed. I have had a black out before and my disease has progressed to the point that I often forget the end of a night. The guilt and shame I feel is horrible. This disease stresses out my husband and embarrasses my kids. My friends all drink, some more than others, but I know they think I have a problem that needs to be dealt with. I know it too. I try to hide how much I drink but I realize I'm only fooling myself. Everyone knows I have this problem and I'm not sure I have what it takes to conquer it. I thought coming to this websit and posting a little about myself would be a good place to start (if I can keep my kids out of my office long enough to post this message!) Advice would surely be welcome.

Welcome Dori.
    Im pretty new here too. Keep reading and posting it does help.

Comment

Hi. you can find alot of help here. I found that it has changed my life. I can be a rollercoaster at times but so is the drinking. You can do change anything you want I'm not saying it is easy but if you want it you have plenty of help here. Some of the members have lots of information on supplements, Drs. questions et. just ask and they will help.

Sammys

Comment

HI Dori & :welcome:

You've certainly found the right place, I came upon it last november the morning after blacking out in front of my dughter ....

At that time I was drinking at least 3 bottles of wine every day ..... since then i've cut down drastically & went half of january AF, I feel better than I have in over 20 years and it's all thanks to the lovely supportive people here ....

Read & post as much as you can.

All the best, Lots of love & hugs....
        sigpicXXX

Comment

Dori
          Welcome. You will find an incredible amount of support here. I made the decision to join when I could no longer remember even falling asleep or even remember the evenings. I would drink whatever was available, mostly wine, vodka or rum. Since being here I have cut down but I do have my ups and downs still. Many more ups than downs. The people here will help you along the way. Good luck!!

Your remark about keeping your kids out of your office long enough to post the message made me chuckle. I too have 3 kids and it's tough to get messages out so most of the time they are pretty short. Right now one's out with her dad, one's sleeping and one's playing. Woo hoo
          "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Thank you to those who posted - I realize I need a lot of support - I am one of those people many see as a pillar of strength and who's got it all together - I do have a lot - a great husband, smart, successful kids, a great job - but I feel like such a failure after I abuse alcohol. I would consider topamax - I'm just so embarrassed to admit my problem to a professional.

A little more about me - I had two weight loss surgeries in the last 5 years - the first was a disaster, then 2 years ago, I had a "conversion" to a bypass in an attept to correct my first failure. While I have successfully lost my weight, I have increased my abusive drinking and it affects me twice as much. Even though I don't drink a lot in quantity, because of my surgery my body reacts as though I've had double my intake. I worry not only about the effects on my family, but about the damage I'm doing to my liver. My biological father was an alcoholic and I'm pretty sure he died of liver disease. All 3 of my brothers are alcoholics as well as 2 uncles. As I mentioned earlier, most of my friends drink, however, my husband, who is a recovering addict, drinks very little. He overcame his addiction many years ago and views my drinking as something I need to address. He cares but is not co-dependent. He will not embarrass me in front of friends when we're all drinking, but instead, he quietly ends the night by suggesting we leave when he thinks I've had too much. I'm lucky to have him, but I need to do something more. That's why I'm here - thanks for listening. Dori

Comment

Hi Dory
              It's very nice to meet you. This place is a fantastic support to me. I hope you find what you are looking for

Comment

Hi Dori,
                I'm on my 2nd week sober and I could'nt have done it without the knowleadge and support I recieved here. Give it a shot - what have you got to lose. Good Luck & Welcome. IAD.
                ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                Dr. Seuss

Comment

Yes wonderful support here, I encourage you to look through all the forums, there are wonderful posts full of inspiration.

Victoria
                  It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
                  James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Hi Dori,

Fairly new here myself - but I have been made very welcome - there is a great bunch of folks on here - and the best thing of all is that they understand!

I too have been hiding the extent my problem and still find it hard to admit to ANYONE.

On here - no-one judges - just a load of support from people who know the score!

Welcome to the club! :welcome:

Good Luck

Satori
                    "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Hi Dori,
                      As everyone has said, you have come to the right place to start your journey and you won't be travelling alone..Although we are all at different stages we all help each other and support each other every day...I am aiming for total abstinence and this is the longest period in my life I have gone without alcohol, 122 days, but without MWO I wouldn't have made it this far...So stick with it and good luck..

Louise xxx
                      A F F L..
                      Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Hi Dori

Just want to say a big welcome to you. You will find a great network of support here.

Hope to hear more from you.

Comment

Hi Dori,
                          I came to this site three weeks ago and have now been 29 days AF. The support is fantastic and you can come here 24/7 and find something that will touch you written by someone else who is sharing the journey. You have made the most important step coming here. Welcome and I hope to see many more of your postings.

Best Wishes and support
                          Diana
                          eace:

Comment

Hi Dorilynn,

I am also a mother of three and when I came here, in August, I was in nearly the same situation as you.

I am now AF during most weeks and drinking (too much still) on the weekend only.

My first piece of advice is to get another computer. One for you and one for the kids. Once you start posting and making friends here you will want to post and check in often and those darn kids will be standing in your way too often:H

Second, don't leave! Stay here post often and read, read, read. Read the book, get the supps and ask questions. Before you know it you will begin to make changes, even if they are small at first.

Your mindset will be key in making changes. You have to wrap your mind around being a healthier you.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
                            :h :h :h :h

Comment

Hi and welcome. You made a great decision to start here. Your story sound like mine to a "T". You might think about AA meetings also to help you cope. That is what I am doing. Good luck to you and post as often as you can!!

Comment

Working...
                              X