Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday, Jan 29th, a late ramma-jamma

ULP! I mighta popped something.

Did the lower body weights this evening, and after the first set, it was just too easy.

I packed on 10 pounds onto the curling bar, which I use for calf raises. It was time.

I also added 10 pounds onto the quads, and hamstring curling bars. So all was fine, and I did 15 reps for two more sets on calf raises. No problem with the extra weight, and got a good burn there.

Second, and third sets on quadriceps OK. 12 reps, and a good burn. Second set on hamstrings, had to strain quite a bit, but got 12 reps in.

Then.........third set on hamstrings, about the 4th or 5th rep, something in the back went POP! Mini-muscle spasm. Crap!! Stopped, and stretched lower back muscles, and on the heating pad. Hope I didn't bung it up. Oh Lord, I hope I didn't bung it up. It's been almost two years since I've had a back episode. Better find the ice, and the heating pad. Maybe I can stave it off.

Heat, ice, stretch. Wish me luck. Sure don't need an injury right now. :egad: :argh:

Neil

Sorry to hear about the back - been there too many times to count! Like you said, hopefully you caught it before it had a chance to get too bad.

Have you ever gone to see a physical therapist for it? I've got a guy who is both a PT and a Chiropractor who works WONDERS on my various aches and pains and gets me back up and on my feet PDQ.

The bad part is that you were having such a good workout! Always seems to happen that way!
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

That reminds me ... I need to call my chiropractor about a painting job he wants me to do... Maybe He'll let me wait till it starts raining again! I hate to go work with weather being so nice out! The beach hiking has been beautiful!

Neal, hope the back's OK.:fingers: :heart:

Hi AA:wavin:
      The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Follow-up:

So far so good. If my back was going to knock me to the ground, barely able to creep around on my hands and knees, it would have done it by now.

I felt a few twinges today at work, but kept stretching the thing. I did take about 4 ibuprofren tablets before bed last night, and those seem to have nipped it in the bud.

AA, oh yea, I've had yearly crippling back episodes for most of my life. I have gone to chiroprators, osteopaths, massage therapists, physical therapists, etc. Under advisement of several others, I have refused surgery of any kind. By exercising, staying sober, and stretching again and again, I seem to be finally getting somewhere. This is the longest I have gone without a major episode since I was 22 or 23 years old.

My usual self-medication for the back problems (in the past), was a mixture of cabernet sauvignon, flexeril, and hydrocodone in liberal quantities. I got to where I could actually stay concious with perhaps 3 liters of cab, 20 to30 mg of hydro, and 20 to 30 mg of flexeril in my system. Tolerance? At least I didn't care if I even HAD a back or not being that juiced up. Not an option anymore.

Tonight, more heating pad, ice, easy stretches, and a little aspirin. If still OK tomorrow, back to cardio.

Neil

Comment

Working...
        X