Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powerlessness

Powerlessness

[First off, I want to say that I am in no way trying to cut down AA or any 12-Step recovery programs. I have nothing but respect for them and for the people who find recovery in them. I believe there is much to be learned from those programs, even though I've chosen not to go that route for my own recovery. I'm not posting this in order to solicit negative feedback about AA or to stir up controversy. I'm merely posting my personal observations about a topic which is central to 12-step philosophy, and to addiction and recovery in general.]

I?ve been thinking a lot lately about powerlessness. What started this was that at four months sober, I was no longer struggling every day, and I thought to myself, ?What now?? I knew that I needed some kind of structured program in order to continue to grow. If I don?t grow, I stagnate, and risk going back to old ways of thinking (read: drinking). So I found a workbook on the 12 Steps that I had bought a while back, even before I started MWO, but had never done anything with. I thought I might as well try it.

The First Step is ?We admitted we were powerless over alcohol and that our lives had become unmanageable.? And one of the first exercises in the book was to list 30 examples of times when I continued to drink in spite of negative consequences. This was supposed to show me how powerless I had been over alcohol.

I could easily come up with the examples. I have done things like continue to drink, even knowing that it was hurting a relationship I was in. Or continue to drink after being convicted of ?Extreme DUI? and serving 10 days in jail. But I stopped to think long and hard about this concept of powerlessness.

I?m not new to the recovery scene, and I?m no novice when it comes to 12-Step philosophy, either. I?ve been to literally hundreds of AA meetings and I?ve studied the Big Book and other AA-approved literature. Powerlessness is the cornerstone of recovery in 12-Step programs. You cannot recover unless you admit complete defeat. You have to ?cry uncle.? OK, well I can do that? and in fact, I did a long time ago. But here?s where I went wrong. I accepted and internalized the powerlessness message, and incorporated it with my low self-esteem, and used it to further my self-destruction. It became an excuse for me to keep drinking and to keep failing at quitting. After all, I was powerless, so who could blame me? Poor me, poor me, pour me another drink.

Now, from the vantage point of a few months without a drink, and no longer craving alcohol, I can look back on it with different eyes. The feeling of powerlessness was a symptom of the disease of alcoholism. I wasn?t really powerless ? I just thought I was. Alcohol is an inert liquid that has no power over anything. It has no more power over me than it has over the bottle that contains it. The only power it can have is what I give it in my mind. But for a very long time I gave it a lot of power ? enough to make my life living hell, and almost enough to kill me. So in that sense I was powerless over alcohol during those years, but it was by my own choice.

I say that now ? ?by my own choice? ? while I have a clear head and I?m thinking rationally. I?m also well aware that my alcoholic brain can start rationalizing a drink and before I know it I can think that a drink is just fine again. And if I start going down that path, I?m in grave danger of giving away my power again. I don?t want that to happen, EVER, because it feels too good now to be in the driver?s seat, making my own choices from a rational mind, and not from a place of fear, depression, anxiety, etc. caused by chronic inebriation and hangovers. In fact, my whole program so far has been about reclaiming my personal power ? that power that I gave away for so many years ? and I?m beginning to like feeling strong and decisive and healthy. I don?t want to let that go.

And I have to be absolutely clear about something else: I am 100% powerless over alcohol when I put it into my body. I know that I can never safely drink alcohol again. That is where my ?personal power? ends and alcohol?s power begins ? and I don?t dare go there.

There is a battle going on for all of us, and we can choose any metaphor that works for us. I like Neil?s ?Drinking Neil and Sober Neil.? I?ve written about a ?sober path and drinking path.? And for others it?s asking a Higher Power for the strength to stay sober a day at a time. Whatever it takes, whatever works. There?s no one-size-fits-all.

As for powerlessness ? I know now that I never was truly powerless over alcohol. That was an illusion and there was always a choice. It was always me choosing to do those things. It was Drinking Mike winning out over Sober Mike. It was me choosing the drinking path over the sober path. I have to admit ? it did feel like I was somehow possessed by an evil, alcoholic spirit (?Drinking Mike?). It?s all a trick of the mind, though. Usually, if you know your enemy, you won?t fall for his tricks a second time. The problem is that in this battle, my enemy and I are one.

~Mike
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Powerlessness

Mike,

Well thought out, and a powerful truth you have uncovered.
    To admit powerlessness is to put the seeds of being a victim in your mind. I said to someone just this week , who was always complaining, to stop being a victim, and they shouted at me, "I am a Victim!!"
    That person has nothing but misery ahead in every occasion of life, with that mind set.

That is why I believe the CD's are a tool (I have not tried them but have read a lot about the power of the mind) that can be trained to be powerful? not Less!, not only to defeat alcohol, but many things.

So my friend, I believe as you there is a lot of truth in what you have discovered.

Congratulations in your success so far, and best wishes on your day to day journey!
    Control the Mind

Comment

Powerlessness

Mike, excellent post - it strikes at the very heart of the strength and support that I get out of the MWO program and the people where.

I especially agree with your statement:

"And I have to be absolutely clear about something else: I am 100% powerless over alcohol when I put it into my body. I know that I can never safely drink alcohol again. That is where my ?personal power? ends and alcohol?s power begins ? and I don?t dare go there."

I feel exactly the same way. I know if my heart of hearts that if I tried a drink again, I would be starting all over again fighting the same old battles. I feel too good to let that happen again, but I also know that is also when alcohol is at its most dangerous - and I keep reminding myself that I can never forget lest I let me guard down.

Take care.
      Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Powerlessness

Mike I so agree with all you say, and yes I am powerless when I drink, therefore I won't drink again.....There are two reasons why, firstly, I don't want to, as you say Mike, four months sober and though I still have the occasional battle it is not a daily thing anymore, secondly, FEAR, fear of relinquishing this new found power over an enemy, fear of going back to that place I have escaped from...

There is an old saying..Keep your friends close, but, keep your enemies even closer....So, when it comes to alcohol, if you are your own enemy, then explore yourself, get to know you, your weaknesses as well as your strengths so when the time comes you are better armed to fight the battle and win....

Stay sober,

Louise xxx
        A F F L..
        Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Powerlessness

Mike, what a truly insightful post. I honestly couldn't agree with you more. Well said!

Comment

Powerlessness

Mike, thanks for sharing this. I've had my time in AA, many years ago. You've described exactly why I couldn't align myself with AA this time around. I was 28 when I first stopped drinking (admittedly, I have a very high bottom..then and recently..) I learned a great deal from AA and agree that humility is very important on many levels..the problem at 28 is that I was trying to find my power as a woman, a mother, and as a human being...and to admit, on a daily basis, that I was powerless (even if it says over alcohol) ran a huge risk of having me identify my sense of self as being powerless. I know a lot of people that have lived a comfortable and sober life as a result of AA, but I also see that many of them have developed their sense of selves around this principle (if they aren't alcoholics and powerless, then who are they?) and I'm not sure that it has served all of them all that well..someone mentioned not long ago on one thread that it sometimes seems to take away a personal responsibility that I've found has been critical for me in my navigation through life. Now that I'm 48 years old and really looking at my sense of self, I feel that I made the right decision not to latch too tightly onto that principle. Yes, after 17 years of 'sobriety', I did go back and experiment with drinking..and like 20 years ago, it was me who made the decision to empower myself to stop it. It's a tricky thing with me because I did/do have such a high bottom..never got a DUI, never lost a job or relationship over my drinking, always took care of what needed to be taken care of..but I would abuse alcohol and will abuse it if I get in the habit of drinking it, just like I can abuse food, shopping or my relationship. It doesn't matter really if someone considers me an alcoholic..it's irrelevant to me...the only disease that I think alcoholism is just that...a dis-ease when it comes to alcohol. It's been a deeper empowered part of me that has said no to alcohol, by the Grace of God..and by that Grace I do have power over it. Sorry to ramble on like this...I was just so glad to hear another's similar point when it comes to powerlessness..albeit different.
            Dianne

Comment

Powerlessness

..I do think AA is great..btw, I am not judging it in any way, but it's like religion...one brand isn't for everyone, but all paths do lead to God eventually..I'm just stating why I chose MWO over AA, and the powerless issue is the main one. Just felt the need to clarify that...Namaste

Comment

Powerlessness

great minds think a like

Sometimes it is downright scary that you can write the exact things I have thought or do think.

I always say I could do the 1st step over and over again with a drink in my hand. I am powerless, so what is the point. Why am I drinking? Well, I'm an alcoholic that is why. I too believed that I only became powerless when I put it in my body. But upon reflection for me, it didn't have to be inside of me to have control of me. I would start thinking about it, obsessing will I or won't I, finally decide I would and I would feel relief and happiness before I would even get to the store. I vividly remember one day, that once it was in the back seat of my car--that was all I needed to begin to feel the effects--and I hadn't even had a drink.

Whether it is powerless or not--it scares the shit out of me thinking about how I lived my life a short time ago.

Kim

Comment

Powerlessness

Thanks for the post Mike, and I agree. I also looked into other methods prior to chosing to quit drinking on my own, personally, yes, when i drink i am powerless, but when i dont i have complete control over myself, so i have control over all my actions, and I am chosing to make positive choices. I dont think anything has control over me, unless i am willing to let it, and i chose not to let it.
                  It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
                  James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Powerlessness

Mike,
                    Thanks for another great post. I am now 5 days AF. Not much time at all, but it is start. I look forward to my 4 months AF. Your powerlessness definition works for me.
                    Best,
                    Phil
                    Love and Peace,
                    Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Powerlessness

Great to read all of these affirmations. I?ve yet to begin this amount of introspection?probably will someday. But, I wanted to give thanks to so many of you who have made a difference in mentoring my path to sobriety. I now recognize that drinking is a choice, and if I choose not to drink, I feel better physically and mentally. All of you, in one way or another, helped me see and understand.

I guess I am empowered. I am grateful for 9 weeks AF today.

Cap

Comment

Powerlessness

I learn everyday. I never feel alone anymore.

Sammys

Comment

Powerlessness

I love coming here to learn from the long time abstainers. I've just begun so I look to you all as my mentors.

I too "came to believe" that the AA approach, though it had some good points, kept me stuck in that powerlessness place. One day at at time just made me depressed. It was like I was going to have to struggle with this for the rest of my life. If I just say, Diane-you can't drink; time to let it go - then it's over.
                          For me it's like giving up a bad relationship. The break up is difficult. You want the other person back. You may even try to be "friends". Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.

I can't be friends with alcohol. I can't have it in my life. So, I suppose, and hope, that eventually it will become like a lost relationship. A memory that holds less and less emotion as time passes.

Comment

Powerlessness

Diane! I really like how you said that! "I can't be friends with alcohol"...that is just so beautifully simple!
                            thanks!
                            Dianne

Comment

Powerlessness

Hi Mike,

I really enjoyed reading your post. It was truly insightful like all of your postings. When I read your words with reference to making your own choice, I remembered how important that word 'choice' was and still is to me. I 've been on the MWO program for 1 year and 5 mths now and I just have to say ...I am a success. I chose moderation but I just don't drink anymore. It's a matter of choice. The 'choice' thing hit me just after I started the program. I was on topamax, (still am) eating kudzu like candy (don't need it now) and this 'choice' thing entered my head. This power of choosing not to drink. I just chose not to drink.
                              I sometimes wondered if the topamax really worked...would it stop me from binge drinking. I never found out. I chose not to. It was my choice. It still is my choice. And I hope it will always be my choice.

Sorry if this sounds corny.

And Congratulations on your success. It just keeps getting better.

Best of luck to everyone

CC

Comment

Working...
                              X