Losing Weight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing Weight...

Did anyone find it initially challenging to lose weight after they stopped drinking?

I've been 17 days AF and have been struggling to get rid of the 15 pounds that I need to. My diet has been outstanding - portions are good, am not overeating and eat mostly raw veggies, lean meats & whole grains. In an effort to jump-start my metabolism I've kicked the workouts up to two-a-days (easy 30 minutes in the AM and normal workout PM) and am finally starting to see some movement - shouldn't be this hard, though.

My resting heart rate this morning was 53, so I don't think that I've overtrained. I am working on cutting out caffeine, sodas, etc. and sticking to water which, I'm hoping along with my diet, will help flush out the system.
    I haven't been sleeping through the night, so I am wondering if that has anything to do with it as well.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing? If so, were you able to overcome it and how so? I'm thinking my next step might be a full detox!
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Losing Weight...

It is a sad fact that the weight does not come off that quickly. Alcohol, when consumed, is the first thing our body uses a fuel, not the food we have eaten. So I believe that most of my weight gain is just from too much food on top of the drinking. My body is so busy using alcohol as fuel those food calories just sit on my thighs. On the other hand I am lucky I do not weigh 500 pounds when I calculate how many alcoholic calories I have ingested. I have heard from many of the long-termers around here that eventually the weight does come off, but it is a slow process. With you being as athletic as you are I am sure you will have no trouble taking it off. And maybe be aware of any "treats" you are allowing yourself now that you are not drinking.....I know I turn to sugar when I am not drinking. Not good.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Losing Weight...

Keep doing what you are doing Athlete, I believe any day now you will see a big difference with big results. from all I've read it takes a bit to stop the train that was plummeting down the mountain and turn it around.

Make sure you are not eating too little. Eat something every 3 hours, as that will keep your body from storing fat.

My plan is to get back to the Gym Monday (mornings) and to get through till then AF.

You are doing great. Keep on Keeping on!
      Control the Mind

Comment

Losing Weight...

It will take a bit

:jumpin: AA, It will take a while for your efforts to show up on the scale, especially if your doing heavy wieght training. You know muscle wieghs more than fat. If you really want to track your success, do it by measuring your waist, hips, thighs,etc. You will see the progress there faster. Keep up the great work. Don't forget to give your body a break now and then. A cheat day when your really getting fed up can also help with motivation. It's Kind of like a reward, thats what I used to do when I was in my top shape. I hope to get there again. I know that I'm a little older now so it may take a little longer, but it's worth it. Hang in there, don't give up!

Comment

Losing Weight...

how weird just posted a bit about this and other stuff on monthly abs.

yes i fully expected to drop weight easily - think problem was part of my weight is due to booze rest down to overeating.
          so I have been overeating more (especially chocolate!) since i stopped drinking.will knock it on the head now but needed to treat myself initially - stopped smoking too!
          Having said that I have lost 1.5 pounds (albeit in 3 weeks and my aim is to lose 2 pounds a week - but i do push myself to hard) and not really been dieting - probably would have put on if still drinking.

athlete - maybe you need to reduce your exercise?sometimes if we do a lot of exercise body holds onto its calories/fat stores. just a thought - knwo when i saw a trainer she advised me not to go below 1600 a day to lose weight if i was attending gym x3 weekly - it worked too.
          I'm a woman and weight 12 stone and have a sedentary job (cycle 20 mins per day plus gym) if that helps you to guesstimate your calories.
          one day at a time

Comment

Losing Weight...

and I think you are right about the sleep too athlete......lack of sleep can cause weight gain for some reason, or at least good sleep helps you lose weight....oh...I don't know...but there is DEFINITELY a link between sleep and weight...I know I've read it somewhere....or i've dreamed it to explain my lack of weight loss?????????????????????????

Comment

Losing Weight...

no....not my lack of weight..........my lack of LOSING weight.........(also think it contributes to my lack of gaining functioning brain cells!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Comment

Losing Weight...

I here you about the brain cells, Melon - many of mine gave their lives senslessly to the booze battle - but I plan on hanging on to the rest of them.

Don't know if it was coincidence, but did a very unscientific and moderate detox yesterday. Only consumed water and three Jamba Juice drinks throughout the day (total of 1500 calories - about half my normal intake).

Woke up this morning and believe it or not, was five pounds lighter than the day before. Also made me much more aware of my body and its eating requirements. Never did I feel that I was starving or had to have something to eat and I woke up this morning feeling great. Also just got back from an 1 1/2 cycling class and I felt really strong.

Anyway,thought I would share my experience!
                Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Losing Weight...

AAthlete,

I have a long history of extreme punishment to my body from various forms of exercise. (marathons, half marathons , triathlons, mountain biking, skiing, rock climbing ) sounds like you and I are similar!

I would agree with the previous poster, that if you are upping the exercise, you will probably be putting on muscle and losing fat - but the muscle weighs more than fat, so it looks like you are not changing much.

You can get a set of calipers to measure body fat percentage on the internet now for about 20 dollars.
                  That is a better way of tracking your progress. Or use a set of these scales that can measure body fat / water content to see what is happening rather than relying on weight alone. I am around 14 % body fat right now. I am upping my exercise in preparation for a skiing vacation to the USA in march - can't wait!!

Degree of hydration plays a big part in body weight too.

Interestingly, I have followed your threads and like you have a history of excessive drinking - but also keeping very fit, and I am not finding it TOO tough to make the changes I need to make either!
                  I don't know about you - but I am always exercising and eating healthily and taking all kinds of vitamins etc

I wonder if it is our fitness that makes us able to tough it out fairly well - or is it the discipline / pain endurance needed to be fit and compete in sports that makes us psychologically tough enough to grit our teeth and get the job done??

(Watch this space - i will probably go to sh*t tomorrow LOL!)

BTW I did compete in triathlons fairly seriously for a few years - but never got to the stage that I wanted to shave my legs!!
                  That is just TOO serious!!!

Take care

Satori
                  "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Losing Weight...

I feel that having training plans/goals in place definately makes the process easier for me. Part of motivation to quit drinking was that our cycling team puts on an indoior Time Trial Series (8-up Computrainer setup) Jan - March and I wanted to get back in shape and trained for that. Combined with my reasons for quitting helped make this an easier process.

It's funny, I was in a cycling training class yesterday that was working on LT training, and I remember thinking that I was feeling better staying around 170 bpm than I was at 140. Guess it goes back to that whole punishing ourselves thing!! So, it looks like even in exercise, moderation is a problem for me!! BTW - don't you know that shaved legs make you more aerodynamic? It can shave a whole second off your Sprint Tri time!

Satori, where are you headed for skiing?

Comment

Losing Weight...

Hey AA

Sorry - was not here yesterday - I'm heading to be based in Breckenridge, Colorado for my family's annual skiing pilgrimage!
                      We have been coming over to Colorado for quite a few years now.
                      it is a long trip for us - but we get to stay for a glorious two weeks!

Europe's skiing is getting a little unpredictable nowadays - Breck, and the surroundiing area has the altitude to guarantee pretty good snow - you just don't get powder like that in Europe very often.

My two sons are now excellent skiers, altho' my elder son is gradually going over to the "dark side" and has bought himself a board for this year's trip!

You DO sound a lot like me - I can't do exercise in moderation either, a few freinds who come over to Breck with us tend to ski a bit in the am, have a long lunch, and ski a little in the pm.
                      Me - I'm on the first lift in the morning, stop for just enough time to refuel at lunch, and am not off the hill until the lifts are closed for the night.

Yeeeee Haaaaa!

Satori
                      "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Losing Weight...

As soon as I stopped drinking I started eating more. But I also started working out at the gym and got a trainer. So I know I got some muscle built up too ( couple of pounds maybe?) But I started at 143 and now I;m at a solid ( week or two now ) 135. I've gone down a jean size ( sometimes two sizes depending on the cut).
                        The sugar cravings have gone way down. I no longer want to eat an entire chocolate cake- maybe just half!
                        No, it really has gotten better. I have been sick and haven't worked out in a week - until today. I made it to the gym and I'm glad I did- feel better already.
                        I think I'm supposed to weigh 115- 130 - I'm 5'3.5 but I'm ok if I stay at 135....one of the benefits of being 43

Lisa

Comment

Working...
                        X