Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Campral vs. Topa

:new:
    Hi, I'm new to MWO. Very excited to find this program. I like to "pretend" I can drink normally, and at times I am successful. To best describe it, It's luck of the draw. Sometimes I can stop, sometimes I can't. After 20 years of drinking out of control every night, I now drink about once a week. This has been going on for about a year and a half. The obsession is gone, but the thoughts are always there. I've just learned how to not act on them every time. After all, they are just thoughts... Yeah, I know, I should just stop completely, but if I could be on of the lucky one's like RJ that would be nice.

ANYWAY. My questions is the difference between Campral and Topamax. I actually started taking Campral and a ton of herbs about two weeks ago and have been more obsessed with drinking since. Not good. Actually snuck a few, which I haven't done in a LONG TIME. Drank 3-4 times in the last week. I'm fearful of sliding back into my old habits, and today I just want to cry.

Is Topamax better if you want to "control" drinking and not give it up completely? Do you have to quit, like w/ Campral? Any input would be apprecitaed. Thanks!!!!!

Campral vs. Topa

Oh , Sweetie,why are you so hard on yourself ? You have managed to cut back to once a week after 20 years of heavy drinking. What an achievement!! Why did you start taking the Campral. Was the once a week a really heavy night From my understanding... when you take Campral you should stop the alcohol. With the Topamax this is not necessary.. the drug will help you either stop or moderate. I have ordered same via the internet and am waiting for the delivery.
    I also used to drink heavily each night and since the beginning of this year I decided to go for moderation as I do not wish to give up completely. I have so far managed with the supplements and have also found a CD on Staying Sober through Hypnosis really helpful. Like you , the thoughts of drinking are there and I also do not act on them.
    Instead of being fearful about sliding into your old habits, maybe try feeling joyful about sliding back into your new habit.
    Not sure if this helps or if Iam just waffling on

This is a great site to visit with a lot of support from people who understand

Take care

Anke

Comment

Campral vs. Topa

Thank you so much. You brought tears to my eyes. I was having a really bad day that day. Things are much better now. You don't know how much your reply means to me. It actually depends on what's going on, if my husband is drinking, if my kids are home. I started the campral because a friend of mine is taking it and said it had helped her. Don't think it's doing much for me since I do drink once and a while. I'm going off of it today.

Going to the Dr. to get Topa on Wed. Think that might be a better choice.

What CD's are you listening to? I have MWO's but really don't care for them. I have one other alcohol one, but I think I've worn it out. Don't know if you are familiar w/ Eckhart Tolle, I listen to that a lot. He's the author of The Power of Now. That's good stuff. I also try to do a lot of meditation, but I find that CD's help me get to a place in my mind I can't get to on my own.

I love that you reminded me to feel joyful. At times I forget my gratitude and how far I have come. Life is so wonderful as my baby sits here and pulls my hair :H

:thanks:

Comment

Campral vs. Topa

Hi Dianne
        Iam listening to the Cd called " Beverly Hills Hypnosis " Alcohol Treatment Staying Sober Through Hypnosis by Trevor H Scott. I bought it via the internet and even with the conversion rate was not horribly expensive...about $12 US from Amazon bookshop. I like his voice and what he says makes sense. Maybe not for everyone but I quite like it. Usually fall asleep but from what I have read that does not seem to matter. I looked at the MWO CDs but thought realistically that I would not listen to more than one and they seemed rather expensive
        Iam waiting for the Topamax to arrive as my doctor would not prescribe it for me...possibly due to laws and regulations here in Oz

Have not heard of Eckhart Tolle.. will check it out on the internet

" You may have a fresh start any moment you choose,for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down "

Take care

Anke

Comment

Campral vs. Topa

:new: Hi everyone,
          My first time here. Topamax has been recommended by my doctor. I am concerned about side effects so I was very glad to find this site. Keep talking!

Comment

Working...
          X