Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just need input...

:new:
    Hi, I'm new to MWO. Very excited to find this program. Maybe I should have finished the book before writing, but I really need advice.

I like to "pretend" I can drink normally, and at times I am successful. To best describe it, it's luck of the draw. Sometimes I can stop, sometimes I can't.

After 20 years of drinking out of control every night, I now drink about once a week. I've quit drinking during the week, but if my husband is out of town, I will have a couple. This has been going on for about a year and a half. The obsession is gone, but the thoughts are always there. I've guess I've just learned not act on them every time. After all, they are just thoughts right... Yeah, I know, I should just stop completely, but if I could be on of the lucky one's like RJ that would be nice. I SO love a good glass of wine with dinner.

I started taking Campral and a ton of herbs about two weeks ago and have been more obsessed with drinking since. Not good. Actually snuck a few, which I haven't done in a LONG TIME. Drank 3-4 times in the last week. I'm fearful of sliding back into my old habits, and today I just want to cry. I haven't been this worried about myself in a long time. Maybe it's just the clouded head from 4 glasses of wine last night. I just don't know if the Campral is doing anything. All I think about is drinking.

Is Topamax better if you want to "control" drinking and not give it up completely? Do you have to quit, like w/ Campral? Any input would be apprecitaed. Thanks!!!!!

Just need input...

I think finding this site will help you alot. I haven't tried the supplements or topa or campral can't answer you there. I just want you to know that you have everyone here behind you. I think most of us know that we should stop completely but is that gonna happen?? I think your amazing in the fact that you went from drinking out of control to once a week. You can do it if I can.

Sammys

Comment

Just need input...

Welcome Dianne! Glad you are here! I can't help you with either of the Topa or Campral, sorry. I just wanted to welcome you.

Comment

Just need input...

Hi Dianne. My understanding of Campral use is that one must abstain before starting on it. There are others here that have experience with it. So keep hanging out here. We are all on a similar journey.
        Regards,
        Phil
        Love and Peace,
        Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Just need input...

Hi Dianne.
          I'm glad that you found us.
          There are many peple like you, who have managed successfully to moderate their drinking patterns to a managable level and can have a glass or two with their meal then not take it any further.
          I'm not in that catagory. I have never liked wine.
          I just drink vodka until there is no more left, or until I black out.
          Two and a half months ago I was drinking 3, 4, sometimes 5 bottles of the stuff each and every week, and had been for at least ten years. Now I am down to 1 bottle a month. I can't tell you how much the people here have helped me to change my life. This is a wonderful place.
          I don't take any medication, though I do take most of the suppliments recommended. - I'd take them all if I could find them.
          I have had to restructure my habits and make a few lifestyle changes to get where I am now, but they are all changes that I would have chosen for myself anyway.
          It can be difficult at the start, but after a short while things begin to gel, and the whole perspective of life shifts from vague and fuzzy to a clear sharpness that I had forgot existed.

Anyway,
          I hope you find what you're looking for Dianne.
          Paul.

ps
          Does anyone know where to get the All-one powder in the UK?

Comment

Just need input...

Hi Dianne, and welcome!!
            Sorry, I haven't used Topa or campral either, so can't help with any of your questions regarding either of these meds, but I guess the answer will depend on what you hope to achieve with your drinking. Are you looking to be able to moderate??? You say that this was the aim , but you seem to be thinking about drinking even more recently....perhaps try what many here do...try a month of abstinence while you get the head in order, and make your decision from a completely alcohol free perspective.....??
            I know that I cannot moderate, and was even more sure of this, when I started my AF...my pull towards booze is too strong to control, and i don't want a pastime that I am just 'trying to control'...this to me, obviously means that there is a problem....
            You need to decide what is the right approach for you though, we are all different, and as you seem to have reduced your intake successfully before, perhaps mods is the way for you....whatever you choose, this is a good place to help you make the decision...there is plenty of practical help, and many others who have 'tried and tested' various approaches that you may be able to use in your journey to find a peaceful mind....

Read on...there is a BIG reference library here.
            take care,
            weemelon

Comment

Working...
            X