Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detox or slow weaning?

Hi,
    What did you all do in the very beginning? Did you stop cold turkey or did you slowly decrease the amount of alcohol? On my very bad drinking days, I'm able to down 14 beers a day. For a while, I "cut down" to six a day (which is really good for me). But I know that drinking at that level is still not safe. I'm contemplating today if I should do AF or cut down each day until I reach my safe level of 2-3 a day....What has worked for you all?

Detox or slow weaning?

hello I'm only on day 21 alcohol free.I used to drink 21-35 units in 2-3 nights a week.
    I just stopped after many attampts at moderating reducing.
    you seem to be doing well with reducing -it's really up to you there is no right and wrong.
    all the best
    one day at a time

Comment

Detox or slow weaning?

If you are not experiencing any symptoms of withdrawal and you are wanting to try AF I would just do it. If you do feel a little shaky or whatever, a lot of doctors suggest weaning because if you are truly physically addicted it can be dangerous to go cold turkey. Best of luck!!!
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Detox or slow weaning?

I have been drinking every day, between 4-14 drinks for 7 months (after AF for 6 months). I have some mild withdrawal symptoms today but it's mostly psychological. I feel guilty and hate myself for not sticking to my plan...I haven't touched any alcohol yet today (I'm usually drinking my first beer by 8 am, yikes!). I'm just hoping to stay off the stuff for today and go from there....

Comment

Detox or slow weaning?

Hi Moderation.

I tried cutting down in the sense that I would only drink weekends. Didn't work. Then I tried to go AF, and failed many a times. I kept finding excuses to drink, like I've had a s**t day at work, or good wine on a special price etc.

However, with the support of the people on this forum, I have managed 31 days AF.

Take each day as it comes. Keep yourself busy, so that you are not thinking about it. I wish you all the best.

Comment

Detox or slow weaning?

I agree with lushy...see a doc (if you can) and get some advice..or ring up a medical helpline where you cab be anonymous if you have them where you are.....when I stopped...I just stopped, but had a load of scary side effects, that probably meant I should have cut down rather more gradually...still, I'm there now.....
            Perhaps if you've only been drinking on the weekends lately, it would be ok to stop without a cut down...always check with an md if you're worried though........sorry, very ambiguous......perhaps not much help

Comment

Detox or slow weaning?

Hi Moderation & :welcome:

For me, cutting down gradually worked, gradually starting later & later (like you it started in the morning) which also helped me drink less.

I managed 16 days AF in january, & since then i'm moderating nicely, just drinking at weekends and not till at least 7pm, and also never when I'm alone ........

Hope that helps ............
              sigpicXXX

Comment

Detox or slow weaning?

I quit cold turkey too, and I probably shouldn't of. My side effects were REALLY scary!!! Lasted for days. I honestly thought I was going to die. You should probably consult with a physician as there are great things available to help you with withdrawling.

I wish you all the best and a safe recovery.

Comment

Detox or slow weaning?

Hi ModerationNow I just stopped too and it was difficult as I was drinking quite a lot over the christmas period. There is no right or wrong way. Do what you think will work for you. My determination is the key factor in my change. I desperately wanted to change and I am with huge support. What ever you decide you will have amazing support in here. Good luck and take care...changing

Comment

Detox or slow weaning?

yikes

I've never been a bidg drinker until my husband started using coke heavily and I drank to numb the pain. I've drank pretty regularly for the last 3 months and am wondering whether cold turkey or the slow road is best. Any advice is appreciated.....

Comment

Detox or slow weaning?

I say decide for yourself day by day what is best for you. Tomorrow when you wake up think positive, come here and post and you will be ok. We are all here for each other and it does work, cause its working for me and I am a pretty stubborn gal sometimes. Find your courage, use it and your life will be so much better.

Sammys

Comment

Working...
                      X