How do you enjoy only 2 drinks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you seriously moderate, does your mentality towards alcohol change? I mean, right now I can't see how I would get any enjoyment out of only 2 drinks. I "need" at least 3-4 beers to get a "buzz". Or is it not about getting a buzz anymore when you moderate at safe levels? Don't you crave that initial buzz? I dunno. I'm trying to get my mind into gear that I must either stop altogether or not expect that magic buzz while moderating...Any thoughts?

Hi
    I thought I might be able to moderate. I have gone to dinner and had one or two glasses of wine and stopped and then felt pretty good about myself. Then the next time I go out I'll have two glasses of wine and then suggest after dinner drinks or that we go to a bar...and I then proceed to have two or three more.
    Then the next time out it's...let's just order a bottle of wine for dinner but let's have cocktails before dinner at the bar....and then on the weekend I'm back to buying a bottle of wine and thinking - what the hell?
    So, I don't know how to moderate well. I don't know if I could be satisfied with two drinks either. Maybe? I've been sober -af- for 95 days now and I don't want to try to drink moderately now. Maybe I'm a little scared of tryinig it but actually more than that I am just happier being sober. I don't want to drink and feel bad in the morning anymore. I think I liked to drink for the buzz not for the love of the craftmanship of a good wine. I wanted to get drunk. Two drinks does not make me drunk...but it makes me vulnerable to drinking two more and then two more after that...
    Hope that helps some. I think some people can moderate-probably not me though.
    Best of luck -
    Lisa

Comment

I am in agreement with Lisa. I love the saying, "one drink is too much and 10 is not enough". So I have to abstain myself. I only drink for the buzz as well. Who really cares if it is the best bottle of good wine!! As long as I feel really good! so abstainance for me!!

Comment

Yep, count me in with the above comments..Two drinks, bah, they would last me about 30 minutes if I was careful.....Drinking wine just to appreciate the winemakers craft, humbug, as long as it hit the mark and did the job I didn't care about the quality or the age of the wine...

I agree with you Lisa, I have been AF for a while now and don't want to drink any more, I did think of testing myself with just one glass to see if I could stop at that but the truth is I was so sh&t scared of what could happen that I didn't do it....

I love not drinking, I certainly don't feel hard done by, or that I am missing out on something, just the opposite, I have gained so much since I stopped, good self-esteem, clear head, feeling a lot healthier and richer, I've got my life back again and there is no way I am going to risk losing it just for a few drinks of poison,

So, no, moderation is not for me...

Louise..
        A F F L..
        Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

yes, sorry Moderation...I don't 'enjoy' 2 drinks either.....for me, drinking is about getting blitzed, I don't drink to savour tastes, or compare vintages....I don't even LIKE the taste much.....not much help.
          Tawneyfrog is one who may be good to answer this...she's a successful moderator...why not try a pm????

Comment

Ditto to all the above....if i drink i drink to get drunk, no ifs or buts about it. In my mind set i would think "whats the point of only having two drinks......no way am i gonna get pissed on that"....so mods is simply not an option for me as i simply cant enjoy one or two glasses of wine or whatever as ill always be wondering how i can get more to drink!
            "Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around"...Penelope Cruz...Vanilla Sky

Comment

I'm with louise on this I love not drinking.
              I feel better when not drinking.

Drinking hurts me.
              Imagine you stick your hand in a pot of boiling water every day and it hurts like hell
              Then you realize that, you don't have to do it
              You would have to be crazy to decide - OK I'll just stick my hand in twice a week from now on....

Makes no sense to me.
              Changeling (might change my name to Changed)

Comment

Drinking is about getting 'blitzed' for me too. One/two drinks makes me feel sick if I stop - instant hangover! (weird eh?). So I don't bother even if only one is offered. Moderation is definitely NOT part of my new vocabulary. Some people can but I think most cannot. It starts off with good intentions, and then after a few times, most end up back where they were or worse. Sorry, just my opinion.

Comment

I think the difference between people who can 'naturally' drink moderately and those who struggle with moderation is in the reason why they drink. 'Normal' people can enjoy the drink, and even enjoy the buzz, but they don't grasp for it and don't drink only for the buzz. As long as you are chasing the buzz, moderation may be a gamble..unless you can break the attachment to the buzz. The question to ask yourself is why you want the buzz...what is it doing for you, and why? I had to make the choice between chasing the buzz and dealing with what it was I was running from..when I started looking at that, I realized that I was contradicting myself when I said I wanted to deal with my feelings, or whatever it was that I was running from..at the same time I was drinking a bottle of wine..it was a complete contradiction. Once I was able to really get honest with how I was doing that, I had to make the choice...either stay ignorant to what I was running from, or deal with it..there just wasn't a choice anymore when I realized that as long as I was running from myself, I would never find myself.

Comment

I think I can be a moderate drinker, although only time will tell. During my 32 days AF I learnt that I can face situations , overcome obstacles, relax and unwind, have fun and feel good without it. Since then there have been stressful situations and I have had the urge to reach for the bottle but I stopped myself and felt pleased the next day. I have had on four separate occasions since the 32 days af had a glass or a glass and a half of red wine and stopped at that, just buying the small bottles that contain only this amount helps, I can't be sure yet if I would have more if I had a large bottle. The buzz got me into lots of trouble so personally I can live without that.

best wishes S

Comment

LOL, if you find out, please tell me; I'd love to know! ;-)
                      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

A psychologist once told me - you can't drink at all. You have a disease and it's called alcoholism. That old saying, once is too much, a thousand times is never enough - was my mantra for most of my drinking life. Think of it like heroine addiction - can an addict just have a little hooch? Definitely NOT! As soon as they take the plunge, they are into the addiction again. Plain and simple. Maybe you're not an addict, but if you are, moderation is not an option! Just my opinion though.

Comment

Hi Mod Now,

I'm not sure that I can add anything more revelant to the members who have posted before me. I too enjoy the buzz, or else why would any of us drink, but I know I can rarely stop at 2. One night I
                          did have just one margerita but I ate right afterwards. I enjoyed drinking on an empty stomach so If I can eat regularly and properly I avoid that trap.

Good luck whatever your decision is and we are here for you.

Hilary
                          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Greetings,

I would enjoy only 2 drinks if they were served in a 16 oz. tumbler straight up. That's why I can't moderate. If you don't drink you can never be tempted. (At least for me....others may have a stronger reslove.) IAD
                            ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                            those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                            Dr. Seuss

Comment

IAD

I'm with you on that one!
                              Control the Mind

Comment

Working...
                              X