How About a Book Club?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How About a Book Club?

I read a lot, actually too much. I tend to like non-fiction, but I am up for anything. I love to read. We have a bag, that has been given the name, of "Book Bones", books that I have read, and need to dispose of. Just a suggestion.
    -Kim

How About a Book Club?

I too have a book bone pile!
    It contains fiction and non.
    I order some from Amazon.com and they have used books there at a fraction of the new book price.
    I'll work on a list of my books for you.
    Nancy
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

How About a Book Club?

Great idea.
      I've usually got a couple of books on the go. One for the day time and one that I read in bed before I go to sleep.

Comment

How About a Book Club?

I usually have three on the go, one in my bag to read during lunch break at work, one on shelf near my chair in living room to read during day and one on bedside table to read before I go to sleep....
        A F F L..
        Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

How About a Book Club?

Now that I have found this site I'm struggling to find time to read a book!
          Enough is enough

Comment

How About a Book Club?

I am ravenous when it comes to books as well...lately it has been hard to find the time or a good one.. someone make a suggestion...I love historical fiction, crime, mystery and si-fi...
            Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

How About a Book Club?

Hi PP, I used to read a lot more than I do now, but since finding MWO I spend more time on here...Mind you that is a good thing in my case, because when I used to settle down with a good book it always included a bottle of wine.....

I'm reading a good one at the moment, called THE HISTORIAN by ELIZABETH KOSTOVA, its about a young girl who finds an ancient book and some old letters in her fathers library which lead to a connection with Dracula and " an evil hidden in the depths of history "....I'm only on chapter 7 but for me to get this far it must be good...
              A F F L..
              Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

How About a Book Club?

Hi Irish....I read The HIstorian some time back. Don't remember a lot about it except that I liked it and it was a slow read. Which is rather an odd combination for me. Eager to hear what you think. Just finished a book on tape (I'm on the road a lot). It was SNOW FLOWER AND THE SECRET FAN about 19th century China and women's friendships and customs. Fascinating!
                NOt reading anything right now, so I'm waiting for some suggestions.....
                LOL....can't stop laughing every time I see your avatar, Irish!!!!!

Comment

How About a Book Club?

sami, how dare you laugh at my avatar, thats me trying to look caring, intelligent and sober... ha ha.. No, it makes me laugh as well, especially when I've posted something serious and then I look at that cat, wish it was mine...

A very good book I read some time ago was THE TIME TRAVELLERS WIFE, can't remember who wrote it though....

PS. Just looked it up on Google, was written by AUDREY NIFFENEGGER.

Louise xx
                  A F F L..
                  Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

How About a Book Club?

I'm always into self help books.
                    I'm enjoying "Safe People" now by Cloud and Townsend
                    A must read for anyone at this site.
                    Helps us to pick people that arent the same destrustive types
                    Gabby :flower:

Comment

How About a Book Club?

Hi Sami-- I read that book and loved it. I just listened to Marley and Me and that was great I thought.

My drive to and from work is about 45-60min each way so I also love to listen to books on tape/cd. Listening to a book by Barack Obama right now- a little dry at times but also very interesting....I wanted to know what he was all about.

Lisa

Comment

How About a Book Club?

IRISH...NPR did a review of The Time Traveller's Wife....apparently Brad Pitt owns the movie rights to the book. Just can't see him as the main character though. He's too pretty and not "haunted" enough.

LISA....what are you thinking of Barack? I don't know much about him,but I like what I do know. But he's sooo young. And idealistic.

I do find that I'm enjoying reading much more again now that I'm not drinking. I had to re-read so much the next day b/c I couldn't remember what I had read. And then sometimes I'd read with one eye shut to try to help me focus. (not a pretty picture!) I feel eternal prayers of gratitude for the changes that have taken place, and a sober (pun intended!) determination to never, ever go there again!

Comment

How About a Book Club?

Hi sami,
                          yes, I heard The Time Travellers Wife was going to become a film, and like you I can't see Brad Pitt in the lead...Now Johnny Deppe, well, I think he would be ideal...
                          A F F L..
                          Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

How About a Book Club?

Hi everybody..
                            I'm reading "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult.
                            I put off starting it for awhile because I thought it would be a downer.
                            The subject is kinda...its about a thirteen year old girl named Anne. She is a "designer" baby, birthed to help her sick sister.
                            It has gotten more interesting as I read. There are lawyers and many other characters...
                            I like Picoult's writing and have read several more of her books.
                            I finished "Picture Perfect" and "Vanishing Acts" before starting this one.

And Lisa...
                            I think Barack Obama is very articulate!
                            :H :H
                            "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Working...
                            X