Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doing it tough

I'm sick of feeling sick.
    My liver is acting up. The drinking makes me tired and nauseous as well as shaky and jittery.
    Tomorrow I'm going to stay sober. I need to abstain.
    I really need help.
    I've had enough of boozing and losing.
    That's all for now,
    prez
    "faith can move mountains, but bring a shovel" - Unknown

doing it tough

How about today?
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

doing it tough

Hi Prez,

Nancy's right: there's no time like the present.

In any event, I think you'll find that most of us here know how you feel... we've all been through the wringer with alcohol, we've been at that point where we were sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. We wanted to change and tried but couldn't. Or we thought we couldn't -- it's just a matter of finding our way.

Hang in there, read everything here that you can, post lots. And know that you can do this.

Mike
      "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

doing it tough

Good to see you again Prez....the sooner the better with the AF my friend...ditto Mike, you sound like we ALL have felt at many times........
        I think Mikes little signature says it all.......Here's to the 'DOING' Prez!!!!
        Stay well, and keep us updated.....strength
        Weemelon xxx

Comment

doing it tough

Prez - glad you're back. Give it a real good try today. Life can get better!

Comment

doing it tough

Hi Prez ...

If you post in general discussion rather that ABs you will get much more response ....

We are all here for you, but because we're not long term abs we don't check in here every often..

So i'm really glad I checked in here tonight so I could say, hang in there you can do it .....
            sigpicXXX

Comment

doing it tough

Prez,

I dropped you a PM (Personal Message) similar to Betty’s recommendation. You will get needed daily support over at Monthly Abstinence once you make your decision.

Four months ago I received a reply from a successful MYO member who credited the MYO program with:

It showed me how nice it is to not drink and how good it feels to be normal. I guess it made me want to be the person I used to be; I had almost forgotten that person.

You can do this.

Capto

Comment

doing it tough

Everyone can do it. Just keep wantin it.
                I'm at 8 months AF...and feelin great!
                Gabby :flower:

Comment

doing it tough

Kate is right
                  It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
                  James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

doing it tough

Thank you everyone who gave their encouragement. I've been AF 2 days now and am over the worst of the withdrawals. But my mind has proved to be tricky in the past. It usually starts with thinking I can have just one beer. I have to be determined and clear about what will happen if I allow myself to have that drink. It will lead to another and another. It's like I decide to have a drink then the drink has a drink and all control goes out the window.
                    I'm going to give this my best shot. I really think I've had it this time.
                    prez

Comment

doing it tough

Prez.....You are not alone.
                      "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

doing it tough

Hi Prez -

Hang in there - you are doing great so far. If I could just interject one thought on this.
                        When your mind starts telling you to have just one - just be honest with yourself. You know deep down that you won't have just one. You know deep down you want lots more than one.
                        So if you can be honest with yourself about that and then follow it thru with what will happen after you have more than one..or more than a few.. then you can more easily make a better decision ie - and have none.
                        Just follow thru on the "one" drink senario. Follow it thru to the next morning and then decide if that is really and truly what you want to do. If you are honest and follow it thru to the next morning and think a while on the hangover you will have and the day you will waste...it is easier to pass on that "one" drink.

Hope that helps some. My only other advice is to be kind to yourself. We are so hard on ourselves and now is the time to treat ourselves with kit gloves.
                        Best to you on your journey-
                        Lisa

Comment

doing it tough

I'm on my 5th day AF and I'm feeling ok.
                          I honestly can't afford to drink at the moment. I have enough money for food and smokes. My problem in the past has been when I've had a bit of money. I start to think I need a feel good and then the thought of having just that one bottle of beer comes and before you know it, I'm back to drinking a cask of chateu de cheap and horrible every day again.
                          It's good to remind myself on a daily basis that there is nothing in my life that would be made better with a drink. I'm taking it one day at a time but always in the knowledge that I am never going to be able to drink safely. Never ever.
                          I intend to do a cost/benefit analysis ( which is a tool used in Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy ) on my drinking. This will be the second CBA I have done and I believe it will help me identify exactly what I believed drinking was doing for me and where drinking was detrimental for me and show me where I will need to replace what I was getting out of drinking with more positive behaviours. Like contributing to this forum for instance or going for a walk and getting some much needed excercise.
                          The money I will save can be used for beneficial things, like better clothes :-).
                          Thanks Lisa, your right I need to think it through, and act accordingly. I've got a lot to live for though sometimes I seem strangely blind to it.
                          All the best
                          prez

"faith can move mountains, but bring a shovel"-Unknown

Comment

Working...
                          X