Exercise - The Ultimate Anti-Depressant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Studies have found that exercise increases levels of serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine. These neurotransmitters have been associated with elevated mood, and it is thought that antidepressant medications like Prozac also work by boosting these chemicals.

I experienced this first-hand this today. I wasn't feeling depressed, but was in a melancholy mood and wasn't feeling too motivated. I was going to blow off my workout, but decided to get one in at the end of the day (I'm lucky in that we have a fitness center at work). Anyway, I can't BELIEVE how much better I feel!! It's like a night and day difference.......

Hopefully this helps anyone who is debating whether or not execrcise is worth it..
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Thanks AA. I have been so down lately and know I need to exercise but cannot bring myself to do it. I just have to do it no matter what because I know I will feel better. Thanks for the reminder.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

I believe there are a great many scientifically done studies, that indicate that exercise does indeed lift one out of the abyss. It does it consistently for me.

A few discoveries I have made over the last few decades.

1. Booze never fails to generate depression. It is a depressant toixc drug. Period.
      2. Prozac, Wellbutrin, et. al. don't heal up a damn thing. They just mask symptoms, and make you think you are feeling better (just like booze).
      3. Aerobic zone exercise, never fails to make me feel good, or at least better than I was before. I have found it necessary to carefully monitor my pulse rate, so as to stay in the aerobic zone.
      4. Pumping up main skeletal muscles with a weights workout, and then observing the results in a mirror always gives a great boost to self-image. A boost that lasts a good while.
      5. Proper balanced diet, with supplements helps the body and mind to heal up.
      6. Some sort of meditation, where you concentrate on what is going on inside of yourself, without a lot of extraneous noise is necessary for healing mind, spirit, and body.
      7. Breathing better, makes you feel better. Simple, but cannot be overstated.

These are truths for myself. I don't know about anyone else, because I don't live in their body, but they are true for Neil. Over 40 years of life spent in a chronic depressive state, and a few things become apparent. Now at the half-century mark, a little ray of sunshine is peeking through the clouds. It is about time.

In the last several days, I have been working with new things for myself. I have begun the beginning Pilates mat exercises, and the front of my gut is sore as hell. My last episode with my back, convinced me that further development of the limb muscles absolutely requires that my abdominals be brought into balance with their development.

Also, I have begun a beginning Tai Chi repertoire. Now this is some weird stuff I can tell you. Just learned a small routine of 5 forms so far, and already I can tell something is happening that is wonderful.

So there you have it. Thats my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Be well.

Neil

Comment

Thanks AA

Thanks mate,
        I was using every excuse not to do some exercise today and I read your post and thought...bugger it Vic,get off your ample arse and do some.
        I did and I feel a million% better..
        Thanks for the spur on.:goodjob:
        Victoria

Comment

AA you are becoming our personal trainer in a way. I will stop and check out yoga today.

Sammys

Comment

Keep on us AA...

I had intended to start back this week but I feel so tired after 10 days AF I can hardly make it to work on time, but it is getting better...

OK next Monday I will start back...50lbs to loose....
            Control the Mind

Comment

Rocky, starting your workouts and getting into a physical fitness routine is similar to stopping drinking in a way. It's damn hard at first but once you get into the habit of doing it - it does get easier.

Keep up the great work AF - the rest of the pieces will fall into place for you.
              Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Your right AA

:jumpin: It has been my experience being in the fitness industry for 10 years that on average most people will take at least three months to make a fitness routine part of thier life. That means you must continue to workout for at least three months before it becomes such a part of your life that when you skip a workout you really miss it and you will really make an effort to makeup for that missed work out. So that first three months is the toughest to get through, but if you can do it, you'll be set for the rest of your life, what can be better than that! Good Luck Everyone!

:h TLK

Comment

Well, thanks for the great post! I have made it mandatory in my life to dedicate 3 days of the week to excercise. I have been doing this for 2 weeks now....so off to the gym I go tonite after work...love the cardio!

Comment

After reading about all you gym-buffs I feel so fricken lazy! Hmmm... need to muster up some energy to get my arse motivated! Good work you guys!

Lush - there is definitely something in the air. Seems a lot of people I know, including myself are feeling pretty bluesy lately. Keep your chin up. This too shall pass.

Comment

AAthelete and all....great stuff, and so true. it's just so hard to keep it up when you are a road warrior such as myself. I did however discover that a lot of fitness places don't make you take a membership and you can simply drop in for a small fee like 10 bucks. not bad considering they have all the nice amenities such as pool, steam, free weights, etc etc.
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

xtex, that is so true, I will quote one of my favorite songs by jimi hendrix "manic depression frustrates my soul, I know what i want but I just dont know" hope I got that right. bashn my head agains wall at the moment. I know beer is my worst enemy but I keep on pouring the lunatic soup down my throat. am getting up at 0530 to meet a mate to walk the dogs at 0600 tomorrow. also had brekky fopr the first time in months this morning!
                        "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

It is hard to get motivated but when i force myself out of the house and go for a run, i feel 10 times better mentally. My doc advised me to run reguarly as this really helps with depression. But you know what? just being off the booze has helped me to keep on an even keel mentally. Its so good to feel good for a change!

Comment

So many people out there - with so much in common!

Exercise has been my mood lifter all my life.

xtexan - I also study T'ai Chi - and have done for several years - like other forms of exercise I now can't do without it - it does amazing things in terms of relaxation but gives you thigh muscles you wouldn't believe. (My school teaches tai chi in it's original form as a complete martial art. with hand forms, three different weapons forms- spear, sabre and straight sword), internal strength training (nei kung) and martial / self defense applications.
                            I do tai chi to get my legs in shape for skiing!!!

Maxman - I am a massive Hendrix fan - I have spent almost my whole adult life trying to get even close to being able to play some of his stuff.

Satori
                            "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

AA, you have a workout facility at your work?
                              and I used to like you so much....

it's very true. going back to Jiujitsu tomorrow for the first time in weeks....I'm just going to die.
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                              X