Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Sunday April 1

Good morning, Affies,

Well ? on April fools I feel like a right fool myself.

Yesterday after work and errands I went to my girlfriend?s birthday party ? I got presented with a glass of white to raise in her honor ? and instead of raising it then leaving it there (or any other avoidance tactics) I actually sniffed and sipped. Just like that.

No excuses, no mitigating circumstances, it has to be clear to myself that it was ME who made that poor decision to have the first sip. I am so mad I could kick myself. The rest as they say is history ? the chain of bad decisions ensued ? few glasses later ? I drove home ? I parked and forgot my lights on during the night and now my battery is dead. I feel like a prize idiot for going back to dark ages. I am also thanking the heavens that nothing bad happened during the short but ill advised drive.

This is the first time I came face to face with my archenemy - New Zealand Sauvignon blanc since last July. And I lost big time. Sure, I drank since then, but never this particular wine, I have always avoided it. I was in such a good place yesterday before foolishly thinking that I am better than this. Last year I did manage several times at various birthdays to clink, have one sip and leave the rest there. Not yesterday, not with my poison of choice.

So, tail between my legs ? I made you all coffee and I am having a large mug myself with a big slice of humble pie.

I feel terrible for disappointing myself and you too.
    workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Shue - you are back here reporting in, that is the main thing, and hopefully the experience madeyou stronger. I can so relate to the birthday party scenario - that was exactly what happened to me after my 8 months AF stretch in 2008/09 I was persuaded to participate in a birthday toast but the difference was
    iT TOOK ME NEARLY 3 YEARS TO COME BACK!
    Don't go the same way, you are made of stronger stuff.
    Others will learn from this experience - I've only just read it but it has made me stronger, so let's keep moving forward......good to see you back and reporting in early as usual. You can do it.
    Sausage x

Comment

Ah shue, I'll get the old hug icon out :l

This is what we'e here for, you came right back here and fessed up, that doesn't sound like someone who doesn't want to be sober, the old beast is tricky and ifit wasn't we wouldn't be here.

Chin up missie, you're doin all the right things right now
      "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it"

Comment

Good morning, Shue, Sausage and Sugar.

Shue, I think you know that you are a huge inspiration to all of us here. Your positive attitude and sense of humor have made me smile on some days when I didn't feel like taking on the day. As Sausage said, you have come right back, eaten that humble pie, no excuses, nothing. Took Sausage three years to come back! And for me--hell, I couldn't come back for a long time, and couldn't even get a few sober days! So--you caved, it's done, you've learned and you are back with us. We are all here to support each other, and I am proud of you for how you are handling this. Just happy you got home okay-that could have had very bad consequences. So the lights burned out--your light did not!
        Huge :lto you!
        Back later.
        TDN
        "One day at a time."

Comment

Good morning Shue, Sausage and Sugar-

Shue- alrighty here goes....
          You had a bump in the road, you fessed up and now get right back on this af train. Sauvignon Blanc and the rest of her sisters suck! They are no good! You have come so far. "She" might look pretty on the outside, even smell pretty but under the surface wine is a big ol be-atch! Please stay close. Do not pull what I did and what Sausage did. It took me a year and her 3. Moderation is a fallacy. It was my most devilish year by far. Ok Nuff said. Big, fat hugs coming your way.

Morning to all yet to pop in
          AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

Cross post TDN- good morning to you!
            AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

Awww, guys, thanks for the hugs ... I really needed them.

Fessing up this morning was not easy. I am counting on Kaslo or Lav to give me a big telling off. I feel like I need it.
              workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

Hey Sunday Sistahs!

I didnt get a chance to come on and play yesterday cause my day with work starts out extra early on Saturdays and then I went to the gym and then hubs and I went to dinner and out to do some clothes shopping for him mainly...he is in dire need of new pants and has a hard time finding his size, being a tall 5ft 6 inches and on the lean side. More about our dinner later...

Shue, as the others have said in support, do not feel like you need to come here with your tail between your legs...the important thing is that you are still with us and back on track. You are always such a source of love and inspiration and we are trully blessed to have you here with us. Just dust yourself off and move on. Life is full of bumps in the road...it's how we handle them and move on that matters!

So, we went out to dinner for the first time since I have quit drinking. We don't go out to dinner that much as we are trying to save for our cruise (68 days peeps!!!...just paid the last installment this morning in fact). Anyway, we went to this grill type place that has great food and decent pricing and is near the malls where we planned to do a little clothes shopping afterward. The place was packed and in the center of this restuarant is a huge sports bar and it was slamming of course on a Sat.night. We had to wait about 10 minutes for our table (not bad) and as we were waiting with our buzzer, Hubs went to get a beer from the bar. I was like, OK. As I was standing in the lobby waiting, I peeked at a menu and of course, the first page had all the drink specials. Even a Dave Mathews "Crash Into Me Red". I was like, what, crash into a car after you have had a few glasses of this stuff or what? Anyway, for that split second, that moment in time, I thought, well, I could just have ONE. Then I immediately switched my blinkers to the new, AF me (a trick I learned from the Jason Vale book) and thought, oh, that was the old me. The new me is a non drinker. I know that if I order a glass, then I will have 2 or 3 glasses. And this place gives a "good pour". And I will feel awful tomorrow and not be able to celebrate my 40th day. That would really suck. So, homegirls, I did NOT drink and I actually really enjoyed every morsel of food on my plate even more so than if I were anxious about ordering another drink or getting as much of a buzz as I could during the course of my dinner. This was a very different experience...dining out sober! Now, all around me, the drinks were free flowing. There was a girls night out next to me and they were ordering some sort of red martini fancy looking drinks. They had a few rounds. Other tables were ordering huge glasses of beer and wine. EVERY table had drinkers. I never noticed this before. I had 3 glasses of water...lol. Hubs had the 1 very tall beer and then switched to gingerale. It was the cheapest tab we've ever had and I said now I am cheap date since I don't drink...lol. Hubs said we should go out to dinner more often then.... So, that is my success story folks...I managed to switch the old thinking to the new and get through the evening without AL. I feel stronger today because of it. Like a passed test. Yeah, it was a challenge when that moment of "should I" passed through my brain but having the right tools to switch that to new thinking made all the difference! Sorry for the long story but just wanted to share the good news. My next big challenge will be Easter Sunday when we are going to have dinner with my heavy drinking family. It will be me and my teenage nephew as the only non-drinkers in the crowd.

My last comment about observing the surrounding tables last night at the restaurant is that I noticed several servings of AL being delivered to the tables and with all the research I have been doing on how much AL is the "cut off" per day by suggested guidelines (for women, no more than 5 ounces per day)...ALL of the guests were having more than that, much more in some cases. So it really makes you wonder how many people are what is considered a heavy drinker. Interesting to be a sober observer for a change...

Well, now that I have completed THAT novel, I wish you all a happy April 1st!! Make it a great day! I am off to work shortly. It's a sunny but cold day here. March did not go out as a lamb as they say but at least we are in the home stretch.

Love ya all...be well!
                Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                :h

Comment

Ahhh Shue :b&d: Is that what you think you need? Fine, then. But beating up isn't going to do much good. Getting up, looking at what went wrong honestly and taking steps to avoid a similar incident in the future is. So, good on ya :l

And good morning, happy April 'n all that jazz to all you other lovelies! I shall work on prying my second eye open and down this first cup of coffee. Back later!

Have a lovely day and one thing is for sure!
                  Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Looks like GG beat Kas and Lav to it.......:H ( I told eveyone she skurd me)

Props to you for coming back and confessing, that shows much character.....now we got this here AF horse to ride together so hop back up with us /extends hand
                    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Good morning Abbers,

Shue, sorry about that bad decision you made yesterday but realistically it's something any of us could do at anytime. My biggest fear is one drink taking me back to where I started & I'm pretty damn sure I don't have the energy to haul myself out of that hole again Good for you for jumping back on board!

Must go tend to hungry animals here
                      Have a great AF Sunday!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Shue, just don't let the other shoe drop. Remember all that stuff about having a plan when you go out and not to get complacent? Well.... now you do, eh? Your bad. The most important thing is to learn the lesson and don't let it derail you. Now you know. Use it to your advantage.

I think it's great that you shared. It really helps people who are active in the forum and those who are lurkers. They relate. Maybe they're considering taking a drink. A special occasion is coming up. Maybe they'll see this and rethink. Over it, you in particular.
                        sigpic
                        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Good morning Fabinkeees, what a grey pissy day it is in Kasloland.

Shue! You drank wine...You drove a car! Thats really bad. GG has dealt the punishment, though. Thats all you get here, after this we just really want you to not go back to making a habit of it. It takes HUGE jam on your cahones to confess, get real about it and thats the difference. What TDN and other say about dissapearing back down that dark hole for years is SO true. The recidivism rate for us is in the 90% range. However, one topple off the wagon doth not a permanent drunk make. Well done, you know now, how easy it is.

On that topic, I used to LOVE the taste of a well made white and I probably would still, but I CANT drink it. Its that simple. And we all know why. Everyone learns from this, its SO important. Talking about it here is like a talisman. Its a huge preventative thing...THANK YOU SO MUCH SHUE for being brave and honest with yourself and us, and what ever we can do to help you, we are totally here for you.

A big hello to all of you other Fabbers. I am finished work for a while! Yay! Next project is a controlled burn, and thats not for two weeks or so, so I think I might take off late tomorrow for points west. Packing today, invoicing so I have some mooonay. YA Life is great!

Kaslo, MS (melted snow)
                          Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

Happy sunday ABeroooooos!

Shue, glad you came right back to get back on track, that is key! and yes Kas is so very right about drinking and driving it is a HUGE no no! no garlic for you until dinner xxxxxx

BlondAF, a great novel! and kudos

it's still snowing here in the desert, so not feeling very frisky for outdoor escapades. good day to do laundry and try to not hurt myself in any manner (not something I find easy).

Nelz, good to see you man! all well and good?

Lav, I'm with you...I have no idea where that first sip might take me and I don't know if I can survive another detox. the last couple (shudder) led me to the darkest regions of hell. no thanks!

be well family!
                            nosce te ipsum
                            (Know Thyself)

Comment

'Ello again!

Reporting back with 2 eyes open, 2 cups of java down, a healthy fruity protein-ish shake, and a somewhat functioning brain. Well, as good as it's gonna get.

Kas, loved your post. Especially the part about learning and reinforcing. So, yes, thank you and kudos Shue.

Blondie, how DO you write that much stuff (making sense, to boot) that early in the morning? Very happy you had a nice night out!

Nelzie.. you're a smart cookie :H

Ok, I pulled the domestic goddess card today... off I waddle. Have a fabulous Sunday, everyone!

Oh.. and Overit... no. Don't do it.
                              Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X