Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Wednesday April 4

Good morning, peeps,

I am again full of beans (maybe a bit literally, too) ? yesterday things just fell into place after a few weeks of struggling to plan and schedule:
    • Good sleep ? check
    • Healthy eating (all meals) ? check
    • Work out ? checkDifficult work project ? checkTime with family ? short but quality, so- checkAF ? yes, check (otherwise I?d have failed all of the above)

Dizzy, I like my barista duty here on this thread so how do you like your coffee, hon? And don?t say Irish coffee ? no no no ? I lost my AL license, cannot serve those anymore. As for Irish lovin? ? hell yes ? see, I married an Irishman.

Peeps, we?re back to the French roast today (I brewed a big pot too) ? need a little push to get over hump day; I have also baked granola bars last night. Help yourselves, Sugar ? the decaf is on the side for you.

Kaslo the bard ? I just giggled like mad in bed last night when I read that, Turn ? enjoy the vegan cake, Pap ? with little finds like those piggy buttons I cannot wait to see what you think of for the PinkPimpedPapmobile. Fingers and toes crossed for TND and Sugar on the job front.

Have a super duper hump day, troopers!!!
    workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Non-Irish please

Hi there

French roast sounds lovely No, no Irish coffee for me. As for the Irishman, we shall see. Its odd that we notice when we stop drinking. I've always been a little bit worse than him when it comes to my drinking habits in that I have cravings from the time that I wake up but now that I'm sober it really bugs me that he hangs out in pubs so much I told him straight that this journey is changing my life and that I am not the same person he last saw a couple of months ago (yes, with long haul flights, we don't see each other that often) So I said that if I at any point feel that he is a bad influence on me, I can't stay with him. I love him but I want to settle and have kids and while I can do that with someone who drinks I can't do that with an alcoholic, mostly because I'm one too.

So yeah, I love coffee in the morning, I just had a big steaming mugful of Arabica filter coffee, Yum. I don't have it the rest of the day as it messes with my energy levels but I need one to jumpstart this hard drive of mine.

So great to have gone out for sushi last night with friends and be NON HUNGOVER. Every morning when I wake up I wait for that awful realisation that I'm going to be tired and hungover and helpless all day and then I feel this internal WHOOP of WHOOHOO! not today!

So good morning everyone. This South African lass has to clean her cottage today as her parents are coming to visit and she's not the best housekeeper in the world.

Hugs to all.

Comment

Dizzy – you have such an awesome attitude !!! Your health and sobriety have to come first! You are so young and it is good to think relationships through while there is still time and while kids and mortgages do not put a dent in your freedom of choice.

I am lucky – my Irishman used have quite a few in his day but thank heavens he has also cut down a lot since I quit. He is one of those people who can take it or leave it, I am not. Having said that he cannot understand just how hard it is for me sometimes or just how much I depend on this thread to stay AF.

So what do you write?

Comment

Hi Shue

Thanks for the words of encouragement. You are lucky that your husband supports you and I know exactly what you mean with other people don't understand how difficult it is. I live with my brother and so many times he nagged me to stop after I finished a stint in rehab and failed continuously. I would tell him its just too damn hard and he would tell me I was simply not trying hard enough. How could he have any idea how hard it can be? I don't think anyone can. He quit smoking but I have quit smoking in the past and I don't think it compares at all, for me anyway.

See, the thing is I really don't know if he just goes to pubs for company because he is a consultant and has been moving around his whole life. When we visited in the past I was the one instigating the drinking and I was hardly sober to pay attention to his habits. He says once we settle he will cut down and support me and if thats the case, I'm happy to stay with him. I really hope so because boy oh boy drunk people are annoying when you are sober.

I started out as a journalist, now I do internet articles and translation, and I have particular fondness of medical writing and translation. I love investigating medications etc. which lead me to this thread. I am forever thankful to Topa are you taking anything for cravings?

Comment

Morning shue and Dizzy and all to come

Many thanks for the decaf Shue, I love seeing you in good form, your so much fun and got such a get up and go to you

Dizzy, love having you here, you're a super addition, you're so honest about the struggle and I can completely relate to you in your ambition to get to grips with this, I'm 31 so around the same age, and love Irish men too, but I'm biased I've no doubt we can help each other along the way

As for the sugarland fairy as someone called me the other day :H I got up early this morning, tried a wee bit of meditation, to clear the toxic thoughts I can have in my head at times, I swear it can turn into a riot up there sometimes but I am getting to grips with it.
          I also applied for a job in Finance and Trading company, it looks perfect, it have all the skill sets and experience, so fingers crossed for me as it is a competive jobs market these days.

I feel good today and I like that, and wishing you all a great day out there
          "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it"

Comment

I bet you are a bit bias I love the accent to bits strangely enough especially the female accent. I wish I had an Irish nanny when I was little, I find it quite soothing.

Meditation helps but I like to go to guided meditations because otherwise I just sit on the spot and go crazy. The rehab I was at last year offered really good meditation sessions, proably the only good thing about it (and the only reason I went except that they also had daily compulsory massages) Hahaha, how silly I am.

Will cross my fingers for the job. The financial crisis is so depressing. Our electricity and petrol just went up and while I'll be OK many people in SA will freeze to death this Winter because of it. I also heard the Irish housing market crashed.

Anyway - heads high - hey?

Comment

Mornin' Ladies *yawn*

Wow, are you chatty this early in the morning :H
              I'll have me some of that coffee if you don't mind and will do my utmost to wake and keep up.

The sleep fairy hit me over the head good 'n hard last night, bless her. Back later, have a wicked Wednesday!
              Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Greetings all,

It really is maarvellous to be sober. Watch that treasure unfold!

Edit: Best wishes with the job hunting Sugar.

One thing's for sure...............

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good Morning Abbers,

Headed to Myrtle Beach, SC with the family for a few days.

Dizzy, so awesome to see you here.

Hello to Guitarista, Shue, Lav, Almost Famous, Sunshine, Sugarbeat, Greenie, Det, P3, Turnaround, and everyone else.

Where is Uni these days?

:hM3
                  AF Since April 20, 2008
                  4 Years!!!
                  :lilheart:

Comment

Hi Gang!

Yes, yes...ditto Sunshine, we have some chatty Cathy's here...lol. But that's a good thing as there's so much to talk about!

Welcome again to Dizzy. You sound very upbeat! Glad to have you here!

Shue, as always, thanks for the Java...I'm well caffeinated this morning and am about to buzz around my house like the enegizer bunny doing housework!

44 days today peeps! YAY! And each and every day that passes, I have less urges to think and in fact, I'm finding myself not wanting to drink AL at all. So grateful for THAT!

My cold seems to have passed. This was a bad one folks. I managed to plow through it but man, I felt like crapola over the weekend and into Monday. Yesterday was better and now, with my 2 days off in front of me, I am feeling the best since that darn cold hit me hard last Thursday night (just in time to make my work week miserable!). Oh well, the worst is over and I am thankful that my immune system kicks major butt!

Momof3, have fun in SC! I would love to check that out sometime. Hubs and I are thinking of alternative places to live other than taxachusetts and the Carolinas seem like a more temporate and affordable section of the country. What do you think? I have to be by the coast though...not inland!

Sugar, good luck with that job...sounds perfect!!! We are all rooting for you!

Well, hi to everyone else checking in! Hope you have a lovely day! It's sunny and seems pretty mild as the heat hasn't kicked in but I have yet to poke outside...
                    Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                    :h

Comment

In case anyone missed it last night, here's Kaslo's Ode to Snow:

Ive often heard the Eskimo
                      Has many different words for snow
                      Well, Ive a few, and heres a hint
                      They're nothing that your Pastor'd print.

:H:H:H

Comment

Hello friends!

Well, everyone sounds just mahvulusss!:H It is great to hear the pep in everyone's step!

Have a great time at Myrtle Beach Mom3. Today is yoga day for me so I'll be thinking of you.

I admit, I am not a good meditator. Nor do I work at it very hard. But even during yoga--my mind tends to wander to all of the things I need to do.

I was really feeling a little cranky with my family again last night. I fixed a yummy roast with all the fixins and no one came home/in to eat until around 8:30. I'm not sure how to handle this, because as the days get longer, it will become more of an issue. The boys don't really care if I cook, but hubby gets a little cranky if I don't have a meal at least a few nights a week. He works late outside-so I get that. But what I hate is the late night mess and having to deal with it in the morning. I will sort out a plan to reduce any resentment I might have about it.

I had kind of an interesting conversation with the 2 friends that came to my candle party. Both of them I would consider "normal" drinkers. One is my best friend who just lost her husband to cancer--and we have partied a lot together. But since I sobered up, I can see that she only really cut loose once in a great while--not every time she drank like me. The other friend rarely drinks and gets pretty tipsy on one drink and she is very careful about it. I tried explaining to them the differences in our drinking ways. I said the difference is I NEVER stopped at less than a 6 pack and usually more than that. I tried--I could not. I ALWAYS felt like shit after a night of drinking, but a lot of times did it again the next night--esp toward the end. One friend asked me how I took care of the kids. I said I didn't. I laid on the couch and let them do what they want. I was a terrible mom and I always felt so bad about that. I guess the moral of the story is, most people really don't know the extent of our problem--esp if they don't have one. (insert winking smilie)

Speaking of cranky I still haven't heard back from my SIL to know if they are coming here for Easter. And no, I'm not going to call her again. I will buy the food and plan dinner, if they decide to come fine.

Oh, also had a convo with #1 son about a discussion they had in English class. It was about people changing. The majority of the class including the teacher feel that people don't/can't change. My son disagreed and used me for an example. Thank God he doesn't know all of my horror stories!!!:H

Sorry, I should have given a sandwich warning. I think I'll brew another pot of just regular Folgers (sorry Shue) in my Bunn and do something constructive.

Have a great sober day all! (insert big heart)
                        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Wow LVT, I admire you for telling your friends about your drinking. I haven't talked to anyone about mine, except for you all here. I don't think anyone I know would ever think that I had a drinking problem.

Gotta love kids! :H:H:H How old is your son?

Comment

Hi everyone
                            Day 41 here ! Thanks for all the congrats messages on 40 days.
                            Fly, interesting point you make about people not knowing you had a drinking problem . I feel like that myself, and infact when I gave up before lots of people were stunned, and said, "why, you don't have a problem." this has got me thinking, I look around the people I know, people I work with etc etc and think " now who here has a drinking problem and is managing to hide it " etc. There must be someone? You can't always tell. Anyone else find themselves doing this?

Comment

hello sweeties, I am still in the office, looks like I'll be burning the midnight oil ... nevermind, I do like what I do.

sausage - good point!!! we have all managed to hide it quite well ... also I see now when I go out that most people are too drunk themselves to have notice me getting plastered before / or staying sober now. I guess this is part of the problem, no one ever noticed me out of my head.

Fly - amen sister - I really cannot bring myself to tell anyone of my friends that I have a problem. I have half hearteadly admitted to stopping "because I was having a bit too much lately" to my ex neighbor whose hubby is a raging alcoholic (i.e. he stopped going to work and kicked her out of the house - as opposed to the closeted alcoholic that I was).

back to workaholic ...

Comment

Working...
                              X