Water Intake Exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Intake Exercise

All, was at a physical therapy appointment this morning and was talking to owner about my training program (he is an ex-CFL linebacker and probably the most knowledgeable PT I've ever met). He was asking me about my daily caffeine & water intake compared to my physical activity level.

I consume roughly 2 -3 cups of coffee in the morning, and what I thought was a decent amount of water throughout the day - all while getting in exercise 5 - 6 times a week. He told me that for a baseline I should be consuming 50% of my bodyweight in water daily (so in my case, 200 lbs x 50% = 100 ounces), plus add an additional 10% for each hour of physical activity a day(200 lbs X 10% = 20 ounces). So, during an average day I should be consuming a total of 120 ounces of water - something I know that I have not been doing.

The benefits of consuming enough water are enormous. Not only does it help flush out lactic acid built up during exercise, it also flushes out general toxins, helps your skin retain its elasticity and prevents dehydration. Conversely, if you suffer from a lack of energy, headaches, bad breath, mood swings and constipation, it?s worth asking yourself if you could increase your water intake.

NOTE: You don't want to consume that much fluid all at once, as it could be dangerous. Rather, it should be taken in moderation throughout the day - but should be higher right after activity.

So, DRINK UP!!

BTW: 2 - 3 cups of coffee a day will have minimal impact on your hydration levels, assuming you are taking in enough water.
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Water Intake Exercise

Thanks AAthelete,

I've always heard you should drink 2 litres each day and more on hot days or when you have been exercising.

In regards to coffee, is that not a direutic? (not sure of spelling)

Comment

Water Intake Exercise

Mandy, yes it is - that's why you want to limit your intake as it will dehydrate you (like some other type of drink that I know)! Also, when I say cup, I actually mean one cup - not a Starbucks-sized cup!

The PT was telling me that he is working with a guy that drinks 10 POTS of coffee a day and chain smokes....

HOLY CRAP!
      Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Water Intake Exercise

Athlete,

Thanks for the info, I know I have been neglecting my hydration. This is a terrific reminder.

Thanks!
        :h :h :h :h

Comment

Working...
        X