AF Daily- Monday, April 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all - I've got a biiiiig pot of French roast on because its Monday and a small pot of decaf for those who doesnt need caffeine... (you know who you are ) And I have some of my honey, peanut, seed and oatmeal energy bars too. Don't knock them til you tried them, my brother loves McDonalds and he has been eating them instead of chocolate this weekend so its a small victory.

Firstly, sorry I missed the big science debate over the weekend. I attended this market on Saturday where I sold my first batch of sprouts. I sold about 30 bags and met lots of lovely hippies so I had a whale of a time so much nicer than spending Saturday in bed wishing I was dead because I'm so hung over I can't move.

Anyway, at the risk of getting Kas and Det started again... I didn't particularly even mean to mention grains on Friday but now I'm glad I did because I read some stuff about sprouting which I can now link back to this whole lectin debate.

Now, I'm not a scientist or a researcher but I have found several reasonable looking sites saying that soaking and sprouting grains and legumes make them much more digestible.

Precision Nutrition Coaching | All About Sprouting for example says the following:

"Why is sprouting so important?

Grains, nuts, and beans/legumes are all seeds. Many seeds evolved to be distributed by being eaten and then excreted. Other seeds — such as many types of grain — evolved originally to be distributed by falling off the plant, or being blown by the wind.

In both cases, the seeds did not evolve to be highly digestible. Either they evolved to pass through the digestive tract unharmed, or they did not evolve to be eaten at all.

When humans developed agriculture, they cultivated many of these seeds, often breeding them to be larger and less easily dispersed.

However, the seeds often retained their indigestible properties. Many seeds contain anti-nutrients, substances that inhibit the absorption or use of other nutrients. For example, rice contains phytic acid, which inhibits mineral absorption.

Other seeds contain substances such as lectins and saponins, which can interfere with the endothelial lining of the GI tract. This can cause damage to the cellular lining and the villi (small brushlike projections in the intestines), leading to leaky gut and poor overall nutrient absorption.

In extreme cases, such as uncooked kidney beans, raw seeds can be highly toxic (and even kidney bean sprouts should not be consumed raw).

Thus, in order to make them edible, various agricultural populations sprouted, soaked, or fermented their seeds. (Or, as in the case of Mesoamericans and corn, prepared them with an alkaline substance, a process known as nixtamalization.)

The cultures who didn’t figure this out likely experienced mineral deficiencies and growth problems."

- Those of you who are still reading at this point
    can follow the link, the article is long but its well-written and easy to read. It explains how soaking and sprouting breaks up the lectins and in-digestibility of grains and legumes. You can for instance first sprout chickpeas and then cook it - I have done it and its much gentler on the tummy, and you only have to steam if for 10 minutes instead of boiling it for hours.

And guys I love your very smart brains but can you please explain it to me like I'm a 10 year old, my poor brain has only not been soaked in alcohol for 19 days and its a bit slow.

Everyone else, have a super duper ab fab day. The sun is shining and I for one am happy to be alive, non-hungover and sober.

:happy:

Morning Dizzy and all to follow
    Thanks for the coffee - have taken a decaf but I do drink caffeinated tea in a morning!
    Interesting info there on sprouting.
    Well today is day 53 for me and I am certainly feeling a lot better. Several people have commented that I look a lot healthier and that I looked tired before. Of course I was away for a few days last week so they probably put it down to more fresh air!
    Wishing everyone a wonderful AF day ahead and I'll drop by later.

Comment

Congrats on your big five oh sausage. :goodjob: Every day added feels good, hey?

I don't drink coffee the rest of the day as it messes with my energy levels but I need a big steaming mugful in the morning to get me out of bed.

Comment

Good morning Dizzy, Sausage and the rest to post, lurk, jump, jive or wail.

Dizzy, thanks for the coffee and sprout knowledge. My 1st mug is in honor of TDN. Big congrats! I am a believer in the less said the better. Loads of people can't drive, don't drive, have car issues or share a car. Not a deal breaker. Knock em dead! Well THAT might not be such a great start...

I actually drink 2 cups every morning. I will raise the second mug to Blonde who is on day 55 with me. I can see 60 in the near distance and it's looks fabulous.

Wishing y'all a pun-day Monday!
        AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

Morning all

Swooping and grabbing a decaf

I love sprouts, if they are the christmas variety and enjoy hippies too

Congrats Sausage, the timeis really flowing now, I got a few old comlipments at the weekend about how well I was looking and how bright my eyes were, its all good and long may they last

Morning Almost and all you good people to come

Jez I got a call for another job interview today, its really flowing now and the smell of desperation has left me Everything else is floating along nicey too, the relationships in my life are healing without me intervening too much and overthinking every possible scenario(the addiction thinking) I'm just getting up every day and doing everything to be my best self everyday and everything else seems to be falling into place

On that note, wishing you all a groovy Monday
          "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it"

Comment

Oh and...

I GOT THE TRANSLATION JOB!!! Thanks for all the crossed fingers everyone, you can release them now. :thanks:

Comment

Good Monday morning!
              Quick check in here. Dizzy--CONGRATS!!!! I know you were counting on that job, and now you have it!!! Great news to start off a Monday!
              Sugar---another interview??? Fabulous! Yes, you lose that smell of desperation, and look what happens!! Good luck! You may have to choose among several jobs very soon!
              Almost and Blondie--congrats, girls, on 55 days! I'm sure you are feeling stronger day by day.
              Going to see a local doc this a.m. who doesn't deal with insurance, and will be signing up for one of his plans. Then set up at AA, then flower shop, then women's group at 4:00. Would rather stay here and sit outside and enjoy the mid 80's temps that are predicted Bad for the Boston Marathon, though.
              Uni, hope you continue to do well. M3, posiive thoughts for you, too!
              Have a great AF day, all!!
              TDN
              "One day at a time."

Comment

FABBIES!!

I have officially moved (with my popcorn) to the front row to watch these awesome lives unfolding!!!YOU GUYS ROCK!!! I'm so happy you chose to be a part of this thread and share. This is thrilling to watch and makes me feel SO happy!! Also, imagine all the lurkers you are helping by showing them what is possible in an AF life - what a dynamic positive ripple effect you are creating! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I eat sprouted grain bread. The Sprouted Grain Difference | Food For Life

Dizzy, what sorts of sprouts did you make?
                sigpic
                Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Goodness - Good morning one & all

Dizzy, a big congrats to yuo on the job!
                  Thanks also for the info & link re sprouting ~ interesting.

Sausage, of course you look & feel better after 50+ AF days!
                  I'll bet a lot of people are wondering about your secret to success

Good morning Almost & Sugar!
                  Wow sugar, the universe has heard & responded to your desires, nice!!

Nothing real special on my plan today, just a lot of busy work. It's heading up to 90 degrees today - wow!!
                  OK, off to shower & then find my way to Curves. Wishing everyone a fantastic AF Monday!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Greetings to TDN & Greenie who snuck in while I typed so slowly :H
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hello friends,

"Love the pics Kas, and det the storm one the other day was amazing. Now that it's tornado season, I am always uneasy about LVT out there on the prairie. Wonder if they get prairie dogs."

Awww, thanks Greenie! We have been very fortunate out here so far. All of the bad weather has been east and south of us. Someone posted a picture on FB of a small twister that was probably just south and west of my sister's place though. It really is frightening these weather patterns. I am glad we have a good storm shelter, but I should probably be a lot more prepared than what I am! Oh, and we do have lots of prairie dogs--but we do not like them. They destroy the pastures. That is all I will say about that.

"I have officially moved (with my popcorn) to the front row to watch these awesome lives unfolding!!!YOU GUYS ROCK!!! I'm so happy you chose to be a part of this thread and share. This is thrilling to watch and makes me feel SO happy!! Also, imagine all the lurkers you are helping by showing them what is possible in an AF life - what a dynamic positive ripple effect you are creating! Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

I feel the same way!!! Congrats to all of you getting new jobs, celebrating milestones, embracing the good life of sobriety!!!!!:goodjob:

I learned the other day that my BIL is planning on having his "friend" with him at the memorial (Inurnment) for my sister this weekend. At first I had feelings about it, but they came crashing down on me the other night and I just don't think I'm ready to see them together. I wanted to go because I missed the spreading of her ashes and tree planting at the farm, but I actually talked to my husband about it, and I've pretty much decided to skip it. I'm sure my BIL thinks he needs her there for moral support as it is the 1 year anniversary of Terry's passing and I understand that. I just don't think she would want it this way. I asked him if I could have some of her ashes to plant in my memorial garden, he wants me to call him.

Anyway, I had a pretty nice weekend. There was a nice sale in our local farm store so we bought some trees, a nice garden seeder and a lovely bench. The bench will either go in my front yard which we are in the process of renovating or at the cemetery for a memorial for my friend. We bought 2 small bing cherry trees because I like the blooms. I bought 2 because the lady said we needed 2 to pollinate. After doing some reading, I think I misunderstood. I needed to buy a self-pollinating tree. I don't think we are really interested in getting fruit because of the birds, etc. So I guess we'll see what happens. Kaslo, you have my permission to give me your scientific knowledge on the subject.

Our weather has been cool, damp and windy. We did get a little badly needed moisture, but now I'm ready for some sunshine.

Have a great sober week all!:h:l
                      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Thanks guys.

I'll look into the sprouted grain bread greenie. Never knew such a thing existed until a few days ago!

I make plain mung bean and plain alfalfa sprouts for those with a bland palate and then I do a mix of mung, alfalfa, sunflower, and peanut for a nice addition to salads and stirfries.

I am now experimenting with more exotic ones like onion, beetroot (shocking pink), fenugreek, radish, etc. The The Coolest Sprouting Seeds on our Planet! website is fantastic for anyone interested in sprouting

I like all the above but raw peanuts are a surprise, they go from bland to totally yummy if you just soak them from 24 hours.

Comment

whew! already 80 degrees and its not even 12noon yet!! Wheelchair races are done in the marathon. Hope the runners are OK.

Dizzy-great job on getting the translation account! I bet you are very relieved! I like your info on the spouted stuff. Everyone in a while I like to add the alpha sprouts to my salad or sandwhiches but ultimately don't finish them up before they go bad. It sucks being single-sometimes!

I echo the green ones sentiments on the wonderful work being done by everyone on here. Sugar-I was so worried about you when you first started-I didn't see how anyone was going to be able to pull out of that viscious cycle of depression and self loathing and to have your parents act so mean to you to boot! But, you did it!! :goodjob: And you sound so so wonderful!! You are truly an inspiration to all of us!!

OK, front lawn scalped ( I mean cut). Kinda forgot to raise the wheels at first :H. 1st load of laundry out on the line, second going up soon. Application/paper work for new job filled out and almost in the mail (just waiting for one answer).

House is cool so far. One fan on and all shades down. Lunch on the deck is a must today!!

Oh and quell surprise!! thought all my fishies were dead!! Saw the 4 that I had seen in Feb/March during the warm spell swimming around today!! Now I feel very bad-the water level is low and its totally green in there. Really had no plans to clean out the pond today but might have to rethink that for this afternoon even tho it will be very very hot back there. Course there is always survival of the fittest!! Nope, only day for weeks I can do this so must save the fishies!!
                          New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Thanks. I love your comment about being single. I was single for 5 years and am in a relationship now albeit a long distance one. I think moving in with him in a months time is going to be d-a-m-n interesting.

Really interesting how many people on this site is into gardening. Or is it just because its spring over there? Autumn here but I'm a green fingered one, so much more so when I'm sober. One of my lowest points was killing off my whole worm farm as I just forgot about them. I called over my new neighbour to show off and there were the carcasses neatly on display...

Anyway, I have since then heard that I am not the only alkie to have committed this heinous crime and I have bought a new worm batch on Saturday which must mean that I have finally forgiven myself. And don't worry my two cats and one dog are all safe and sound, they would pester me to death if I ever dare ignore them.

Comment

Dizzy, most of us are into gardening.
                              You should have been here last summer to see the pics of my zucchini & cucumber harvest. Overgrown basball bats for the most part :H :H

Papmom, I have so much to do today but am considering a granny nap
                              The fish we had years ago survived in some awful conditions - bless their little hearts

Here is a pic from yesterday. Matilda did NOT remove Will's left ear - just looks like she did :H

AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                              X